20 replies to this topic

#1 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

I d/l the trial version of RM4 and when I try to import a GEDCOM from RM3 or try to create a new database, I get an error message:

RootsMagic cannot create file
C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 4\mast.rmgc
Please make sure you entered a legal file name

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

Bill,

If you're using Vista, try creating the file in a new subfolder underneath the Documents folder and see if it makes a difference. It would also be more efficient if you did a direct import from RM3 instead of doing a GEDCOM export/import. In RM4, go to File > Import to do so.

#3 peteki

peteki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(BillW @ Mar 25 2009, 08:23 PM) View Post

I d/l the trial version of RM4 and when I try to import a GEDCOM from RM3 or try to create a new database, I get an error message:

RootsMagic cannot create file
C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 4\mast.rmgc
Please make sure you entered a legal file name

Just open the Trial and click File Import and let the program find your RM3 file, which it will convert in its entirity and you will have everything you had in RM3 now in the RM4 format. It will not harm the RM3 file. I wouldn't use the GEDCOM approach you will loose some of your photo and document information etc.

#4 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the replies, but it still doesn't work. I even typed in the address of the RM3 database and it said it couldn't find it even though I know exactly where it is. If this is the way RM4 works, I think I will stay with RM3 for the time being. And, yes, I'm using VISTA on a Toshiba laptop.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Bill,

I don't know that others are experiencing this same issue, so it may be a problem of better understanding what steps you're taking. In RM4, if the Welcome to RootsMagic screen comes up, choose Import. Otherwise, try File > Import. Next, select the RootsMagic (version 1-3) radio button, and click on "I know where the file is". Navigate to your RM3 file in the appropriate folder, and select it; it should have an .rmg extension. Give the new file that you'll be creating a name, choose any relevant settings, and click OK. That should hopefully do it. The result will be an .rmgc file.

If I'm still misinterpreting your question, please add any additional details.

#6 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Bill,
I recommend that users create a folder called RM_Data in the Documents folder (My Documents folder on XP). Inside this folder create five sub folders to match the RM4 folders, Date_files, Backups, Media, GEDCOM, and Reports. If you are going to create website, I also suggest a Websites folder.

When you open RM, go to Tools, Program Options, Folders and browse and select these folders as the default.

Once these are set up,
select Import, RootsMagic (version 1-3),
click I know where the file is
navigate to where the file is and highlight it
click Open
In the Create a New file, enter the name you want to call the file (it can be the same as RM3 since RM4 uses a different database structure and won't overwrite your RM3 files.)
If the folder path beside File Location is not the new parth to ...RM_Data/Data_files, click File Location to select this new folder. Choose the other options you want to use
Click OK to import the file.

I hope this helps.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#7 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 26 2009, 07:09 AM) View Post

Bill,

I don't know that others are experiencing this same issue, so it may be a problem of better understanding what steps you're taking. In RM4, if the Welcome to RootsMagic screen comes up, choose Import. Otherwise, try File > Import. Next, select the RootsMagic (version 1-3) radio button, and click on "I know where the file is". Navigate to your RM3 file in the appropriate folder, and select it; it should have an .rmg extension. Give the new file that you'll be creating a name, choose any relevant settings, and click OK. That should hopefully do it. The result will be an .rmgc file.

If I'm still misinterpreting your question, please add any additional details.

OK. Here's what I've tried so far. I started RM4. I selected the File Open option. I selected "Open a File" using the Windows open file dialog. The Windows Open file window displays "C:\Program Files\RootsMagic" and I change the .rmgc extension to .rmg and Windows displays the .rmg databases. I select the RM3 database that I wanted to open, master.rmg. I clicked on that file and RM4's reply is:

Master.rmg
File not found.
Check the file name and try again.

There are 5 .rmg files in that directory but RM4 can't find any of them. If Windows can find the .rmg databases, why can't RM4 find them?

#8 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(BillW @ Mar 26 2009, 11:04 AM) View Post

OK. Here's what I've tried so far. I started RM4. I selected the File Open option. I selected "Open a File" using the Windows open file dialog. The Windows Open file window displays "C:\Program Files\RootsMagic" and I change the .rmgc extension to .rmg and Windows displays the .rmg databases. I select the RM3 database that I wanted to open, master.rmg. I clicked on that file and RM4's reply is:

Master.rmg
File not found.
Check the file name and try again.

There are 5 .rmg files in that directory but RM4 can't find any of them. If Windows can find the .rmg databases, why can't RM4 find them?

Bill,
You cannot open an RM3 rmg file with RM4, even if you change the extension as you did. RM4 only opens RM4 databases with the rmgc extension. To get RM3 data from rmg files into RM4, you must use the File, Import method.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#9 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(bienia @ Mar 26 2009, 08:14 AM) View Post

Bill,
You cannot open an RM3 rmg file with RM4, even if you change the extension as you did. RM4 only opens RM4 databases with the rmgc extension. To get RM3 data from rmg files into RM4, you must use the File, Import method.

Import gives the same results. I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of the functions that has been disabled in the TRIAL version.

#10 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

I'm still using the trial version and had no problem importing an RM3 file.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

BillW, in what path is your RM3 database, and what is its filename? I'm wondering if there might be something unique to you in one of those items that's not affecting the rest of us.

#12 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 26 2009, 08:34 AM) View Post

BillW, in what path is your RM3 database, and what is its filename? I'm wondering if there might be something unique to you in one of those items that's not affecting the rest of us.

C:\Program Files\RootsMagic\master.rmg

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Vista doesn't like data files to be stored under the Program Files directory. In RM3, use File > Copy database, and create a copy of your master.rmg file under the Documents folder (preferably in a new folder that you create under Documents specifically for RM, such as C:\<username>\Documents\RootsMagic\).

Open RM4, and try to import that new database that you just created. Again, choose that same folder under Documents for the RM4 database that you end up creating (C:\<username>\Documents\RootsMagic\master.rmgc).

I hope that it resolves the issue!

#14 BillW

BillW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 26 2009, 08:48 AM) View Post

Vista doesn't like data files to be stored under the Program Files directory. In RM3, use File > Copy database, and create a copy of your master.rmg file under the Documents folder (preferably in a new folder that you create under Documents specifically for RM, such as C:\<username>\Documents\RootsMagic\).

Open RM4, and try to import that new database that you just created. Again, choose that same folder under Documents for the RM4 database that you end up creating (C:\<username>\Documents\RootsMagic\master.rmgc).

THAT DID IT!!!!!! Thanks for your help!!! That's one thing I like about RM, I can always get helpt when I need it.

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Excellent -- good to know that you're up and running!

#16 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 26 2009, 12:04 PM) View Post

Excellent -- good to know that you're up and running!

See my post under
Conveting Sources

Can't Import or Restore files from RM3

#17 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(Roger-Ohio @ Mar 26 2009, 06:42 PM) View Post

See my post under
Conveting Sources

Can't Import or Restore files from RM3

I responded with a forum link that explains. Hope it helps. wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#18 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Mar 26 2009, 07:02 PM) View Post

I responded with a forum link that explains. Hope it helps. wink.gif

Thanks for the link

Solved my problem. Just didn't think I would need to be moving files around.

#19 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

A clarification what is happening...

1. If a user is running Vista, then your RM3 data files *are not* in the program folder, even if RM3 thinks they are.

2. Vista *will not* put data files in the program folder

3. Vista *will* trick a program into *thinking* it put the files there, but no other program (including Vista itself) will see the files in that folder because they aren't really there.

I have put a message about this here on the forum and have pinned it to the top to make it easy to find.
RootsMagician

#20 dlrmn

dlrmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

This didn't help me. I don't have RM4 installed on the same computer as RM3. I'm getting the same error message that Bill got. I exported gedcom file from RM3 to a flash drive. Then I moved the gedcom file from the flash drive to a subfolder called roots magic that I created in the documents folder. I tried the same thing with a RM3 database file I copied. Neither one works. It's very frustrating. My RM3 is on a windows XP OS, the RM4 is on a Windows 7 starter OS on a netbook.