• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

As in the past I can count on you folks to get me up and going. For the last 6 months I have been having PC problems not related to XP. I bit the bullet and bought a new PC running Windows Vista. All of my files were transfered over from XP to Vista. When I tried to open Rm, I was told I need a key code. I wrote to RM and got the key code. and entered it. Now when I click on RM all I get is a blank screen. Any guesses on what my problem is and how to solve it? Any help would be appreciated. Joe

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

You did a new install of RM, so you now have no .ini files and RM doesn't know where your database is to open it.

You need to Open your database files in RM.

Or restore a backup or import a gedcom depending on how you transferred your data files to the Vista hard drive.

You will also need to go to Tools>Options>Folders and set the default folders to tell RM where to save any new file types.

And reset your options at Tools>Options.

And you may need to change the paths for your linked multimeda if the paths are not the same after you copied them to the Vista hard drive.

Laura

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

ALSO:

If you use:

FILE --> SEARCH FOR FILES

RootsMagic will search for your databases on the new system's hard disk drive.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(yazoogent @ Mar 22 2009, 10:03 PM) View Post

As in the past I can count on you folks to get me up and going. For the last 6 months I have been having PC problems not related to XP. I bit the bullet and bought a new PC running Windows Vista. All of my files were transfered over from XP to Vista. When I tried to open Rm, I was told I need a key code. I wrote to RM and got the key code. and entered it. Now when I click on RM all I get is a blank screen. Any guesses on what my problem is and how to solve it? Any help would be appreciated. Joe

Thanks for the tips, but I still bring up the files.
Thanks Joe