#1 brian4652

brian4652

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hello all

I am new to this site and apologise if the issue has been dealt with previously

My problem lies with trying to backup my RM data. Whenever I "save", I cannot then reopen what has been saved because my system tells me it does not identify the system used to do the backup

So, the good news is I am backed up, but the bad news is that I cannot reopen the save!

If anyone can resolve this dilemma for me I would be most grateful

Thanks

brian

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Are you opening RootsMagic?

In RM3
Open RootsMagic and go to File, Restore backup.

In RM4 Beta
Ooen RootsMagic and go to File, Restore

If that isn't the problem, please post more details of where the restore fails.

Laura

#3 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Laura @ Mar 21 2009, 12:30 AM) View Post
...If that isn't the problem, please post more details of where the restore fails....
I just tried this and encountered a problem.

After successfully creating a RM4 backup (used the default filename with the .rmgb extension), I attemped to restore the data base. When I selected the .rmgb file I just created and pressed the "Begin Restore..." button, a RM4 window popped-up that stated " You must enter a valid filename for the backup" - something's broke... sad.gif

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#4 yscott

yscott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(MikeZ @ Mar 21 2009, 09:46 AM) View Post

I just tried this and encountered a problem.

After successfully creating a RM4 backup (used the default filename with the .rmgb extension), I attemped to restore the data base. When I selected the .rmgb file I just created and pressed the "Begin Restore..." button, a RM4 window popped-up that stated " You must enter a valid filename for the backup" - something's broke... sad.gif

I have the same problem as of this morning after I installed the latest RM4 update. I always use the default file name and when I tried to restore my latest backup I got the same message to enter a valid file name. To restore I did what I always do - clicked File, Restore and chose the latest backup which is SCOTT (2009-03-21).rmgb. Hope someone can help!

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(yscott @ Mar 21 2009, 11:51 AM) View Post

Hope someone can help!

Well, if you have a need to restore a backup in the meantime... you can double-click on the .RMGB archive (it's a .ZIP archive with the extension name changed) and extract the .RMGC database file to overwrite an existing one.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

I just downloaded and installed RM4 Beta 180, and the backup and restore are working fine.

Laura

#7 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Wow! That's some very fast updates for RM4...

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Step on one bug, trip over an ant hill and release some more.
Now that the ant is stepped on, what other little insect will show up?
That is the way with buileing something new, fixing one thing often bends something that functioned perfectly before.
I will wait until this evening to tie up my telephone for another hour to see what is going on with 180.
Alfred

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hmm -- this "what is going on with 180" is odd!

Using the Help > About RootsMagic, I am still showing Version 4.0.0.158.
Also, my last message from "RootsMagic 4 Public Beta" was dated 3/10/2009. I didn't think much about that because I thought I remembered seeing something to the effect that these messages would cease because we could now go to Help > Check for Updates. Using that route, I arrive at a page that states "The current version of RootsMagic is 3.2.6". Maybe, somehow, I accidentally did something to stop the newsletter. The page does contain a reminder about spam. I do have a spam "catcher" which puts unrecognized messages in my spam folder. But I always check that folder before deleting any contents, and nothing has been there from the newsletter. I guess it wouldn't hurt to fill out the newsletter subscription box again, so I'll try that.

Cheers, Glenn

Nope -- I'm already a subscriber!

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Mar 22 2009, 06:28 PM) View Post
Also, my last message from "RootsMagic 4 Public Beta" was dated 3/10/2009.
That was the last one sent out wink.gif

Uninstall your Preview Release, download from below and run the newest installer to get the latest:

http://www.rootsmagi...w/download.aspx

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, Ken

However, this brings up another
"I think I remember. . ." and that is regarding deleting data versus uninstalling. Uninstalling (from the control panel?) will just delete the program. While there is no program, access to data is "denied" but the data is still there and will be re-accessible once another program that can read it is installed. Is this correct?
Well, it's late, so I think I'd best wait until tomorrow before working on this.

Cheers, Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Mar 22 2009, 10:22 PM) View Post

Thanks, Ken

However, this brings up another
"I think I remember. . ." and that is regarding deleting data versus uninstalling. Uninstalling (from the control panel?) will just delete the program. While there is no program, access to data is "denied" but the data is still there and will be re-accessible once another program that can read it is installed. Is this correct?
Well, it's late, so I think I'd best wait until tomorrow before working on this.

Cheers, Glenn

Yes, the data will remain and will be accessible when another compatible version of RootsMagic is installed. In fact, since we're still in PRERELEASE and the database design development is temporarily "locked in"... one of my "tests" has been to occasionally NOT uninstall RM's program files (not recommended) and INSTEAD merely overwrite with the newer version to see IF errors occur. So far, the database(s) have reopened for me.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N