#1 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Place Details
If we are going to use "Place Details" to list the name of a church, town hall, cemetery, etc., we should be able to search for it too. In the "Find" dialogue there is not "Place Details" to search for and when we go to "Lists" and list the City where the "Place Details" is located, there is no indication of it anywhere. So, once entered, the Place Details serve to inform but one is unable to find references to the Place Detail again. We can't find all marriages performed at St Luke Church (Place detail) in Baltimore MD (Place). We can only find Baltimore.
JIM.B.NH

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

You only have to use place details if you are afraid that your place list is getting too long and detailed.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

Jim,

I'm using RM4 Beta 176.

On the search screen [now named Search for information], choose the fact or Any fact.

In the second drop down menu where it says date, select Place Details.

If I was searching for Evergreen Cemetery in a specific Place, I would also have to add a search filter for the city, and/or county, and state as I have 4 or 5 Evergreen Cemeteries.

Since there is not yet a report for Place Details, the Custom report can be used to make a report.

I'm not going to rush to change my place names and use the Place Details for cemetery names, etc. for now. I may change my mind later as changes are made to RM4 in the future.

I am thinking about putting the present county in the Place Detail when county lines changed, and I have the Place name with the old county, and that is where the records are found.

Place name, Scott County. Place Detail, (now Logan county)

Then I could Customize the sentence for a fact and delete the Place Detail if I don't want it to print in a Narrative report.

Laura

#4 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 20 2009, 08:43 AM) View Post

You only have to use place details if you are afraid that your place list is getting too long and detailed.

For me a major reason to use this new feature would be for when uploading GEDCOMS to online (public) family trees where place details are not necessary and possibly infringe privacy. Can't see why place list length is an issue?

Although for me splitting place (into place + place details) is a really exciting and important feature (my Geo-Genealogy nivana would be to be able to drive down a street with a GPS-enabled laptop/PDA and have it pop up saying 'Your Uncle Arthur lived here (No.88) when he joined the army' etc!), I -like many other existing users it seems- will be reluctant to utilise it until it is fully developed, e.g place details editable from place list, sources for place details, semi-automated transfer/split from single place name to place + place detail etc. As is, the 'rewards' just don't justify the effort required to convert the data.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 19 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post

I assume this is just your opinion Alfred, or do you have some insight into how Bruce envisages the Place Detail field being used and reported within RM4?

Bearing in mind all past discussions on Place Details and how they should be recorded, I believed this was incorporated to allow Building, Church, Cemetery information to be stripped out of the Place Name, perhaps I am wrong.

Either way allowing extra accuracy as to the actual Place Detail is kind of pointless to me unless it can be searched on, tabled (like the place list) and also geo-coded.

When you have an obscure cemetery location and geo code it, one would like to have the location of the cemetery and not a general location like the city it is part of.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

Bruce has indicated there is a lot of work to do around the PlaceDetails feature - time was his enemy in doing more work on this potentially potent feature.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm