10 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff

Cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

I am using RM4. In scanning my place list names, I noticed the following entries that were carried forward from previous RM versions. "City, County, England at 234 Palmer Street" and the like. These were entries made before we had the "current place detail".

I would like to correct this, but not sure of the proper procedure. I can't do a search and replace without losing the place detail (in the address line) data and there would be names that would lose the address detail. Multiple names using this address mainly come from past census records.

What is a recommended procedure to correct this?

Cliff

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

Here is the procedure I used:
Go to the Lists - Place list
highlight the place you need to edit.
Click the Print button and set the options to print All events at a single place (your place should be listed)
Generate report.
SAVE it to a text file, named something like TEMP-Place
Open the file in NotePad or WordPad or any small text editor. (I use Note Tab light)
Now, go back to RootsMagic and edit each of these people to get the place to read "City, County, England" or whatever and put the address, "234 Palmer Street" in the place details

Then go through the place list again, find any other places using the same "City, County, England", like a cemetery, church or school and do the same with each of them, (If you use the same temporary text file name you wont have a bunch of them messing up the hard drive.)
RootsMagic 4 doesn't seem to merge places automatically, so you will have to merge the several "City, County, England" entries in the place list after you have them all done, by highlighting one, clicking the merge button and then putting a check mark before any you want to merge.

It is going to be a long, drawn out process. You want to make a backup every once in a while and don't do too many at a setting or your fingers are likely to acquire a mind of their own.
(Or, is it that your mind wanders to somewhere else? blink.gif )

But, the wish behind it was to shorten the place list. This will do it, although, I don't know if it is worth the effort.
Alfred

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 10 2009, 12:52 AM) View Post

Click the Print button and set the options to print All events at a single place (your place should be listed)
Generate report.
Open the file in NotePad or WordPad or any small text editor. (I use Note Tab light)
Now, go back to RootsMagic and edit each of these people to get the place to read "City, County, England" or whatever and put the address, "234 Palmer Street" in the place details

I take Alfred's suggestion one step further. my saving it as a .rtf file, lets me put it in word processing, and then I print the pages, about 4 at a time, to clean up the database. I work differently then others, but this works for me. I like the changes in RM4 regarding place details. smile.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Cliff

Cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Thank you Alfred and Nettie for your prompt, welcome and needed reply. Alfred, something I've been meaning to ask you. Do you eat and sleep in your Office or do you take your laptop to bed with you? laugh.gif

Thanks again.

Cliff

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(Cliff @ Mar 10 2009, 10:04 AM) View Post

Alfred, something I've been meaning to ask you. Do you eat and sleep in your Office or do you take your laptop to bed with you?

Don't discourage him! tongue.gif

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Nettie @ Mar 10 2009, 09:28 AM) View Post

and then I print the pages, about 4 at a time, to clean up the database. I like the changes in RM4 regarding place details. smile.gif
I like the place details, too, and was about to ask if there was a quicker way to get cemeteries, hospitals, etc. into the details line. But I have started the same process as Alfred, so I guess I'm out of luck! sad.gif
In the meantime, keep a pail of water ready to put out the fire with all those pages and pages of printouts! laugh.gif At least, I hope you're printing two-sided to reduce the danger!

Cheers, Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Mar 10 2009, 03:06 PM) View Post

I like the place details, too, and was about to ask if there was a quicker way to get cemeteries, hospitals, etc. into the details line. But I have started the same process as Alfred, so I guess I'm out of luck! sad.gif
In the meantime, keep a pail of water ready to put out the fire with all those pages and pages of printouts! laugh.gif At least, I hope you're printing two-sided to reduce the danger!
Cheers, Glenn

I have a number of relatives buried at "Greenlawn Cemetery, Frankfort, Concord T., Ross C., OH." With this format of place name, I can go to the place name database, find this particular one, and print a list of everyone buried in this cemetery. They appear to be sorted in burial date order with all of the blank burial dates at the trailing end of the printout. If I edit out "Greenlawn Cemetery" for a handful of burials and put it in "place details", then the newly created list for Greenlawn Cemetery does not have those burials relocated to place details.

Some people might say that I have a database cluttered with specific details. However, it works very well for me. Frankfort also has,
Old Methodist Cemetery, Frankfort, Concord T., Ross C., OH
Old Baptist Cemetery, Frankfort, Concord T., Ross C., OH

I had hoped for a scheme that would list:

Frankfort, Concord T., Ross C., OH
---Greenlawn Cemetery
---Old Baptist Cemetery
---Old Methodist Cemetery

in somewhat this form with the Cemeteries and any other specific places in Frankfort such as churches in a subset selection list.

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

I have been thinking that I do not want to break my place list down all that much.
Especially with the coordinates for the main places.
I can list the cemetery in the main place name and enter it's longitude and latitude which could be several miles from any town or the center of a county or state.

I suppose that I could, with a GPS unit, list the coordinates of individual graves in a cemetery.
It might be a big help to someone looking for a specific burial place.
Alfred

#9 Jonathan589

Jonathan589

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 19 2009, 04:30 AM) View Post

I suppose that I could, with a GPS unit, list the coordinates of individual graves in a cemetery.
It might be a big help to someone looking for a specific burial place.

I'd've thought that a lat-long for the cemetery would generally be good enough for the RM tree.
Family-history societies produce books of monumental inscriptions (MIs) and we always have to pinpoint the stones somehow. In the ones I've been involved in I've split the cemetery into small areas and just number the stones, and I imagine most do that, and that would be the source reference. GPS Lat-Longing of each stone seems a bit of overkill.
Although now I have started splitting the nine-acre one in the middle of my town into the 10-meter squares of the (British) National Grid Reference system, and number 'em within those.
(Admittedly I have surveyed this particular cemetery and plotted out every marker and have just printed it out on a sheet of A0 to the wonder of onlookers but no-one said I couldn't go over the top for my own amusement.)

Jonathan

[Message for John of Ross County: I live in the county town of Ross & Cromarty and our local football (=soccer) team is called Ross County so I keep feeling you are close by...]

#10 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 10 2009, 03:52 PM) View Post

Generate report.

Then go through the place list again, find any other places using the same "City, County, England", like a cemetery, church or school and do the same with each of them, (If you use the same temporary text file name you wont have a bunch of them messing up the hard drive.)
RootsMagic 4 doesn't seem to merge places automatically, so you will have to merge the several "City, County, England" entries in the place list after you have them all done, by highlighting one, clicking the merge button and then putting a check mark before any you want to merge.

It is going to be a long, drawn out process. You want to make a backup every once in a while and don't do too many at a setting or your fingers are likely to acquire a mind of their own.
(Or, is it that your mind wanders to somewhere else? blink.gif )

But, the wish behind it was to shorten the place list. This will do it, although, I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Alfred,
I believe it is quicker (but possibly riskier) if you print the list (for reference when altering each and every fact for each and every occurence/person.. yawn) and then modify (trim) the place name first from the place list. This saves you having to:
1. Modify the place name in individual facts (you'll just need to type the place details once and then select from list for every other occurence)
2. delete the original now redundant place name from the place list

But gosh, this is going to be a VERY tedious task sleep.gif
IMHO this new (much needed) major development of RM4 (splitting place names in to place and place details) should only be implemented IF place details are also editable from the place list. Otherwise the logic is incomplete and errors will inevitably creep in when trying to tackle the long dull process described above.

#11 djc

djc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

You might try going to the new tab in RM4 "People", which comes up with name, ref #, birth date, birth place, death date and death place. Click on the header button death place, and it will put all of the people in your database in order by the death place. Add an additional button from customizing the layout and add place details. Now you can change them in order 1 at a time and the cemetery will show up in the details.

I meant to say burial place and burial details

Debbie