• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RGA

RGA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have looked over the old forum posts for this topic and I didn't see anything related to my question so here goes...in an effort to keep improving my family tree, I am looking for a way to search the database for perons who have no known descendents. That way, I can continue looking for information for them. I am sure there is probably a way in Search, Find but I don't know how to create a 'less than / equal to' statement to arrive at this result.

Thank You,
RGA

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

I didn't find any report or search that will give us a list of people who have no linked children.

There is a way to get a list of people with their linked children that include people with no children.

Go to Reports>List>Individual list and select "Children of each person". Deselect the other choices.

Anyone with just their name with no children listed

Since we get people with children with this report, I would pick out the people with no children and add a user defined fact to each person's record.

I would come up with criteria of who to add the fact to, like not to a child who died young or people I know are a dead end, or people who already have my user defined fact that tells me they never had children.

Then when I wanted a report, I would just print a report for the user defined fact. rather than go through the long Individual report again.

Laura

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:21 AM

Decided to play with this a little. I came up with the same scenario using an individual list, select children, deselect all others...and then process the data. With thousands of people to wade through, it is worth the processing. I'm sure there is a little shorter way to do it, but here is what I did...and it worked very well to get the list.

1. Reports > Individual list > select showing children, deselect other, (top selector set to everyone in database)

2. Set Print to...to Text file

3. Print report to text file, name and save file

4. With text file open, select all text in file, and copy (Ctrl+C)

5. Open a blank spreadsheet in Excel:

5.a. paste into C1 cell of Sheet 1 (Ctrl+V...will paste automatically to other rows and columns as needed)
5.b. paste into C1 cell of Sheet 2 (Ctrl+V...just a raw backup in case anything goes wrong, so you don't have to repeat the copy-paste later)

6. Create formulas to extract needed data with:

6.a. In blank column B, type the following formula: =IF(C2="","",C1)
6.b. In blank column A, type the following formula: =IF(B1<>"",IF(b1=0,"",B1),B1)
6.c. Highlight cells A1 and B1, and copy (Ctrl+C)
6.d. Highlight cells A2 and B2, press and hold the Shift key...and while holding the Shift key, arrow, page or scroll down the the last row with data, and release Shift key (you should now have a long highlighted pair of columns (A & cool.gif...paste (Ctrl+V) - this will copy the A1 & B1 formulas to all rows of your data

At this point, column A should show only the names of those persons in column C who have no children. Now to get rid of the rest...

7. Highlight the entire spreadsheet with formulas (small square at top left...above row 1 label and left of column A label)...and copy (Ctrl+C)

8. Remove formulas:

8.a. Click into cell A1 of blank Sheet 3
8.b. Do NOT paste with Ctrl C...select Paste Special from Edit menu
8.c. Select Values in top portion of Paste Special dialog...click OK (data only without formulas will be pasted...otherwise the formulas will go crazy when you sort)

9. Get rid of unneeded data: highlight a few entire columns to the right of column A - col B, C, D, etc. and delete all data from them...leaving only col A with the names you want

10. Separate the data rows from the non-data rows: highlight the entire column A and use ascending sort (the non-data rows will be at the top)...then delete all blank rows above your data.

SAVE

What you have now is a single column with the names of the people who have no children, including their individual number. If desired, you can copy paste groups of these names into several columns until you have all your names available without a 1000-mile-long single column list. SAVE - Then print it out.

I know it's a bit much, but it works very well, and doesn't really take all that long. When typing in the formulas, include all characters as given, such as equal sign at beginning, sets of double quotes with nothing between them, etc.

[example: "","" is dbl-quote dbl-quote comma dbl-quote dlb-quote]

With perseverence, this could be done with one formula column...but this worked now without taking excess brainpower to create.

good luck....Doug

#4 RGA

RGA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thank you all for your time and trouble. I tried the spreadsheet with formulas and couldn't get it to work...maybe through an error but mostly, I suspect, through limitations of my software (Star Office Calc). Anyway, I will try again at work on good old Excel and see what happens smile.gif

In the mean time, what I did was go to:
Individual List
Children of each person
selected - choose people
from list
create
mark people
select people by data fields
surname = ****
and
sex = m

(**** = the surname of the family tree branch I am working on)

By this process I was able to narrow the list down considerably. Too bad RM doesn't have search criteria for 'age' or 'marital status', etc....I guess that will have to be the subject of a wish list item wink.gif

Thanks Again,
RGA

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(RGA @ Mar 7 2009, 03:53 PM) View Post

Too bad RM doesn't have search criteria for 'age' or 'marital status', etc....I guess that will have to be the subject of a wish list item wink.gif

Thanks Again,
RGA

You can go to Reports>Lists>Fact list and do a report for the Marriage fact.

Select People with this fact type, People without this fact type or People with more than one of this fact type.

An age search is included in Rm4.

Laura

#6 RGA

RGA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Laura, I will try that...I guess I need to upgrade to RM4. What I was referring to was muliple search criteria. For instance, In my case it would be nice if I could build a list based on a combination of possibly, sex, age, marital status, surname, etc. excluding those who are unknown, or where only their sex is known (i.e. son, daughter). I am a newbie at RM but it seems that the existing search criteria is 'event fact' rather than 'person fact' based.

Doug, the spreadsheet worked great once I loaded the formulas into Excel. I am going to keep the spreadsheet as a template and copy future branches of the family into the 'C' column.

RGA