3 replies to this topic

#1 Nannette

Nannette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]

I had to get a company to reformat my computer and, though the data was saved it appears I need to reload the program. I can't find my rootsmagic 7 disk. I looked on the rootsmagic site and all I see is rootsmagic 3. What happened to 7?

Also, several years ago when I purchased rootsmagic 7 and tranferred the info from Family Origins 6, I lost the source info etc. I was warned by rootsmagic that this might happen and that they would help me transfer it. However, went I sent into to have help with that, no one ever responded.

This was right after Family Origins had been sold and Parson's (I think it was Parson's Technology) decided to start rootsmagic.

Since I can't find rootsmagic 7 for sell anywhere, and I seem to have lost my disk, what would happen if I transferred the data that the computer company saved when they reformated my computer onto the Family Origins 6 which disk I have found.

Thanks for any help.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Nanette,

I think that you've mistaken the version of RootsMagic that you purchased. To date, only RM 1, 2, and 3 have been released, with RM 4 due very shortly.

Given the several issues that you're experiencing and confusion over some of the details, I think that the best way for you to proceed would be to contact Customer Support:

http://support.roots...in/Default.aspx

Choose "Submit a Ticket" and continue from there with documenting your problems.

You won't be able to use FO 6 with your RM data. However, Support may have a record of your purchase and can tell you what version you bought. If it was RM 3, you'll certainly be in luck in terms of being able to download the program files and without additional cost.

Good luck.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Did you mean RootsMagic 1 or 2?

The latest version of RootsMagic is 3.2.6. RootsMagic 4 will soon be released. If you had RootsMagic 1 or 2 or a version of Family Origins, you can upgrade to 3 now and then get a free upgrade to RootsMagic 4 when it is released.

You can import a database made in Family Origins versions 5 through 10 or RootsMagic 1 or 2 into RootsMagic 3.

If you have a gedcom of your database, you could import that into Family origins 6.

Laura

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

It's a true testament to Bruce's handiwork that this could be asked more than ten years after that version was released!!! cool.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Nannette @ Feb 24 2009, 09:28 PM) View Post

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]

I had to get a company to reformat my computer and, though the data was saved it appears I need to reload the program. I can't find my rootsmagic 7 disk. I looked on the rootsmagic site and all I see is rootsmagic 3. What happened to 7?

Also, several years ago when I purchased rootsmagic 7 and tranferred the info from Family Origins 6, I lost the source info etc. I was warned by rootsmagic that this might happen and that they would help me transfer it. However, went I sent into to have help with that, no one ever responded.

This was right after Family Origins had been sold and Parson's (I think it was Parson's Technology) decided to start rootsmagic.

Since I can't find rootsmagic 7 for sell anywhere, and I seem to have lost my disk, what would happen if I transferred the data that the computer company saved when they reformated my computer onto the Family Origins 6 which disk I have found.

Thanks for any help.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N