• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BRCTEX

BRCTEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

I'm converting from FTM to Rootsmagic and cannot find in FAQ or Help anything on deleting or removing individuals. I have a child entered twice, once in 1st marriage with step father's name, and again correctly in a prior non marriage relationship under mother's maiden name. To further complicate, he was registered at birth by his mother under a totally different false name. Though I now have his father's correct name, his name was legally changed to the mother's maiden name by the maternal grandparents when he entered school. That is the name he has used for many years. I can probably handle all this in the notes and use of aka, but I just want to delete him from the stepfather marriage.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

but I just want to delete him from the stepfather marriage.
[/quote]
with the mouse on the child's name, right mouse click and click unlink from the stepfather's family. Name changes I have handled with the alternate name fact. Do not delete the person, just add the alternate name and put a note in that source saying what happened. If you don't want it to appear in any written narrative or Family Group Sheet click the private on the fact alternate name

Hope this helps. I have found unlinking is the best instead of deleting until you know for sure that is what you really want to do. smile.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(BRCTEX @ Feb 23 2009, 06:29 PM) View Post

I'm converting from FTM to Rootsmagic and cannot find in FAQ or Help anything on deleting or removing individuals. I have a child entered twice, once in 1st marriage with step father's name, and again correctly in a prior non marriage relationship under mother's maiden name. To further complicate, he was registered at birth by his mother under a totally different false name. Though I now have his father's correct name, his name was legally changed to the mother's maiden name by the maternal grandparents when he entered school. That is the name he has used for many years. I can probably handle all this in the notes and use of aka, but I just want to delete him from the stepfather marriage.

If I am hearing you correctly, you have the child actually entered twice, not just linked to other parental connections. Before you can successfully deal with it, you must get clear about just what situation exists.

Check in the search-person listing. If the child shows there twice, then the child is (probably) entered twice. If the child appears in the list only once, but shows more than one set of parents, then that is a different issue.

Moving from that for a moment, you want to establish what the child's "name at birth" was if there are multiple names he has been called by. Even if the birth name was false, if it was the name assigned at birth, it is his first and original name. Some people use such a name all their life...and it is their legal name, as well as what they went by. In your case, I was not entirely clear as to just how many names he went by, or was recorded as having at some point. Anyway, establish the birth name. Then use that for his name in the database. Any and all other names are then alternate names, each with their own alternate name fact, and any notes or sources about that particular name fact.

Once you have the name clear in mind, if there are more than one entry of the child in the search-person list, go to each one (noting the individual number {I###} etc, for each one). Look at which if any have the correct birth name. If both have it, select the one who has the best notes information and facts as the one to use permanently. If neither have it, pick the one with best notes, etc., and change the name in the given and surname fields to the correct birth name. Then go to the other one and check to see if there are any notes or facts there which do not appear in the one you chose to use. Copy that information and make sure it gets into the one you chose. On each of these, check to see what parents are linked (are there one, or more than one sets of parents)...and what children of his if any are linked to him. Make notes to be sure you get all of them relinked properly. Then delete...not unlink...the one you did not choose (if there were more than one to start with).

Once you have your notes and are down to one entry for one individual child you are working with. What parents does he have? If they are his birth parents (this does not mean his name or allegations, and is not about what his name was at birth...it could be different)...in other words who are his actual mother and father biologically? If they are linked as his only parents...great. If there are more parents sets linked to him, see if each one is correct...and if any are not, right-click him and unlink that set of parents. Then if needed, add parents sets to him (correctly relinking the ones unlinked...or if there are parents not in the database yet, add them) one at a time until all are there correctly. The same mother might be in all of the parents sets, for instance...but each pair of parents should be unique as a pair.

Once you have done this with the parents, look for the children. Are they there? Does each child show under the correct set of parents? If any are not there, or are under the incorrect set of parents (their biological parents if known), then right-click them individually and unlink and relink as needed. Just as with him, if some were adopted or need to show under more than one set of parents for any reason, link that child to however many sets of parents as he/she belongs linked to, and include notes for that child showing what those different relationships were, and if any were adoptions, use an adoption fact, etc., rather than just generic notes.

At this point, you should have one entry for him, however many correct sets of parents as needed, and whatever children similarly linked correctly.

One final note: If you do not know already how these incorrect parent-child relationships were established, you might want to search your original import GEDCOM in a text editor and see if his name appears more than once. If it does, of course, the problem was carried over from FTM. If not, you might want to review your procedure for entering and linking children to parents, and multiple relationships.

Good luck...
Doug