• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IBPete

IBPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

I have a general question as what should be done with old copies (CD) of RootsMagic when the new version has been order or received. Can they be recycled to other family or friends for their use? When new versions become available I always order the CD but the old CD is still workable. Suggestions?
Thanks IB Pete blink.gif

#2 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(IBPete @ Feb 23 2009, 11:24 AM) View Post

I have a general question as what should be done with old copies (CD) of RootsMagic when the new version has been order or received. Can they be recycled to other family or friends for their use? When new versions become available I always order the CD but the old CD is still workable. Suggestions?
Thanks IB Pete blink.gif

Keeping in mind the legalities of giving something to someone who didn't actually pay for it and therefore acquire some rights:
The old discs can be used, but the key is to keep the Registration Key away from the old discs! This means that you can give the discs away to new people; but if they want to use it past an examination time, they have to register and get their own copies!

But the best thing probably is to keep the old ones in case you have a tragic accident and lose your newer copies. That way, you'd have something to reload and build upon.

b

#3 peteki

peteki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(whomper @ Mar 9 2009, 10:31 AM) View Post

Keeping in mind the legalities of giving something to someone who didn't actually pay for it and therefore acquire some rights:
The old discs can be used, but the key is to keep the Registration Key away from the old discs! This means that you can give the discs away to new people; but if they want to use it past an examination time, they have to register and get their own copies!

But the best thing probably is to keep the old ones in case you have a tragic accident and lose your newer copies. That way, you'd have something to reload and build upon.

b

Since RM4 has an entirely new DB design, the only way you could go back to RM3 would be my making a GEDCOM.
As far as I know, Bruce only sells full install copies not upgrades. I think, if you notified RootsMagic that you intend to abandon your key and give the program to someone else, you wouldn't be violating the agreement. But you would no longer be able to install that product. Otherwise, you could give it away without the key and inform the individual they will have to buy a new key from Roots Magic. The point being you cannot give away a key without informing the issuer that you intend to give up the rights to that key.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

If you have "Upgraded" to a newer version of any program, the earlier versions are sill legally a part of the final version and not any more sharable than the final version.

If you buy, without using the upgrade price, then they are two seperate entities and the former version can be sold or given to someone else as long as the registration key and all copies are passed along and the recipient agrees with the End User Agreement.

That is my understanding, although I never went to any law school.
Alfred

#5 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

It sounds like there's some misunderstandings here.
The facts would be:
Each purchased version comes with a key. The key is printed, thus can be copied by hand onto anything.
So if the disc is loaned or given away at any time, it still has to have the key inserted at some point in the installation, else the end user at that point won't get a fully-functioning copy. True? Is such an installation - not using the key - possible? Is the installation timed to self-destruct if the key isn't inserted?

So if you give or loan your copy without giving out the key, you're protecting the Author as well as yourself, and you're not violating anything. The new "end user" can register or pirate as he sees fit. After all, trial copies have a way of "expiring" or becoming inactive when the key isn't used. I suspect that if you let someone use your key to use the pirated copy, (1) you're violating the agreement, and (2) they'll be discovered when/if they try to upgrade against that key. If this is correct, it means the key is yours and doesn't belong to the copy per se. Sorta depends on who registered that key first! If the original buyer didn't bother to register, then the key is still open to registry by someone else. That key seems to be most useful in getting free or discounted options later.

Again, the main point, is share the copy but with the caveat that the "borrower" must buy his own key/registration. It's part of the honor system, sure; and it's up to the Author to enable security measures to protect his copyright, by monitoring the usage of the original key.

I'll have no problem promoting RM by letting someone try a copy, since I won't let them use my key! But the price is low enough that most people - regardless of how frugal they are - can afford to buy their own and get rights to all upgrades and tweaks as become available!

What dya think?

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Why bother?
Anyone can download the free demo from the RootsMagic web site. (at least for version 3)
The Demo is a bit crippled, though it is the latest version with all of the upgrade patches, so why bother with the old disk copy? Then, if you like it, you can register it for a fee and they will send you a registration key, all you have to do is enter that and you have a full copy.

Without the registration key, the old disks of RootsMagic are of about as much use as all of those old AOL disks we got a few years ago.
They do make pretty bird chasers of yard flashers though.
Alfred

#7 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Just don't use them as frisbees like we used to do... they aren't very accurate, but if you do manage to hit someone with one it REALLY hurts!

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(IBPete @ Feb 23 2009, 11:24 AM) View Post

Thanks IB Pete blink.gif

Simple answer is YES.
There should be no restrictions on transferring your copies of software under the first sale doctrine of copyright law. The first sale doctrine states that if a customer purchases a lawfully-made copy of software, the customer is entitled to sell or dispose of that copy without the copyright owner’s consent (but not to make subsequent unauthorized copies of such software). This principle is the same one that applies to copies of books, videos and other copyrighted works, and is not altered in the software context.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

Great discussion!!

Until the Stimulus Bill of current fame is implemented to States' satisfaction, high speed internet is not going to be available to the entire country, and not everyone will want to spend loads of time downloading some huge program just to try. So the at-least-last-version of a disc can be given to those less fortunate than others so they can try the program without undue stress. Then they can send off for the hard copy when they want to buy! -- like I did!

Otherwise too-old-copies can be used as Hall Passes in schools, where students will get some benefit from them other than as dangerous frisbees.

I'm sure there's a Museum for Old Discs somewhere...

Many thanks to all for a most interesting discussion, as well as educational!

b