7 replies to this topic

#1 treez2

treez2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

OK - I have "I'm new to RootsMagic - itis."

Somehow, I have managed to generate repeats of many names in a database. There are maybe two or three copies of the same person - maybe more.

First, how do I display a list of all names in a database?

Second, how do I edit out the extra names? I have discovered the long way to edit out the multiples, but there has to be an easier way.

This has to be easy........

IDEA - why not come up with a message board for we RM beginners so those who are advanced won't have to put up with sorting through all the messages from those of us who need answers to the basics?

Thanks.....

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(treez2 @ Feb 19 2009, 08:40 PM) View Post

First, how do I display a list of all names in a database?

[Ctrl]+[f] OR The Search tool-bar icon OR Search menu then Person list
For a report: Reports => Lists => Individual List --- Everyone (choose as many or as few options as you want)

Second, how do I edit out the extra names? I have discovered the long way to edit out the multiples, but there has to be an easier way.

This has to be easy........

Tools => Merge --- auto merge (will get some of them)
Tools => Merge --- Duplicate search/merge (lets you pick a few more to combine)

UNLESS, you just have the same person linked in more than one place, in that case they will have the same record number and you will have to UNLINK them from the place they do not belong.
((Tools => Options => Database Options --- Bottom field, Show record number on main screen

IDEA - why not come up with a message board for we RM beginners so those who are advanced won't have to put up with sorting through all the messages from those of us who need answers to the basics?

Thanks.....

If you got rid of the "Advanced" users, Who would be able to help the beginners?
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(treez2 @ Feb 19 2009, 07:40 PM) View Post

Beginners are not the only ones that learn from the boards.

I often learn something new or get a different perspective, or am reminded of something we had forgotten from the questions or answers even if a question is a beginner's.

Laura

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

I think that the FAQ was an attempt to try to answer a variety of questions. You can find it here:

http://www.rootsmagic.com/faq

Another location that might be of use is the knowledge base:

http://support.roots...in/Default.aspx

However, there's no need to be shy about posting questions here on the help board, as many people are willing to try to provide assistance.

#5 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

Some additional thoughts...

1. If you arrived in the RootsMagic realm from another genealogy software that you are more familiar with.

2. If you haven't added tons of people, etc., into an imported file.

3. You could open your GEDCOM file exported from the other software (in a text editor such as Notepad) and see if these duplicates exist there. If they do, that's where they came from. If they do not, see the above remedies in other replies. (THIS PART IS GOOD TO DO REGARDLESS OF THE ABOVE)

4. If they ARE in the GEDCOM export which was imported into RootsMagic, you might consider going into your old software, and making the changes in a software you are more familiar with. Then re-export, and re-import, and then hopefully, you will not have the duplicates. The basic procedure is the same in your old software however.

It is EXTREMELY helpful to know where these duplicates came from, hence the suggestion to explore the GEDCOM, etc. If you don't know how they got there, you will likely be creating more after you finish cleaning up your database now. So, the best (and thus easiest) method is to not generate the duplicates in the first place.

If you used drag and drop features in RootsMagic, then thought it didn't work because the people were not there connected as expected, and then did it again...and again, this would generate duplicates in RootsMagic (one possibility). Those people would be inserted, and reinserted as many times as you did it, without regard for the existence of the same people already there. Check closely in RootsMagic by just one or two names which occur as duplicates to see if each occurence is linked to the rest of your tree. If some are not, that sounds like drag-drop repetitions.

If you did multiple imports, add-on merges, etc., these also can create duplicates if the procedure needed at the time for the type of work you're doing was not followed correctly.

At any rate, do your best to identify how this happened, to avoid problems for yourself in the future. Think what you did through, baby step by baby step (do not generalize, because the program doesn't generalize). Write down notes, and be as click by click accurate as possible. That means you DO NOT say of your actions: I added Mary Smith. You need to specify what clicks you made to add Mary Smith, and how you connected her to parents and/or children...for there are a number of ways to do most anything in RootsMagic, and remembering which method you used may make it easier to identify what you did incorrectly (IF it occurred in RootsMagic at all...and if not, it is very important to know that).

For instance, you can add a child to a set of parents in (at least) three ways: 1)menu selections accessed using your mouse; 2)menu selections using keyboard key combinations; 3)drag-drop from another database window. Each of these has different possibilities for mistakes, such as OOPS, clicked the wrong menu selection, or OOPS, used the wrong key combination, or OOPS, didn't remember to put a check in the box indicating to add as a child, etc. These OOPsies listed are not necessarily related to your dilemma, but just give an idea of the differences of the various experiences of doing the exact same function in the database to which these people were added. Importing and merging adds to that list.

Good luck...

Doug

#6 treez2

treez2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

Thanks a bunch to all for the help and suggestions.

Alfred and Laura - I certainly don't want to get rid of you advanced folks. Experience is a very valuable resource to be able to share and to tap into. I just thought it might make it easier to segregate the newbies so you vets could recognize ua a little easier.

Romer - I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the FAQs. It was getting a bit late so maybe I overlooked it. I'll try the knowledge base next time. Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions Doug. It will take me a while to get through all of them. I think you nailed
down the basic problem. I tried to drag and drop a branch from one database to another. Tried it a couple or three times but it never showed on the screen. I'll have to investigate and see what I did wrong.

Again, thanks to all of you for your help. Maybe I can pass it on someday.

m.....

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

treez2,

Sorry -- I didn't mean to imply that the answer to your question in this case could necessarily be found by going to the two links that I provided. Rather, the purpose for including them was as another resource to find potential solutions to problems if you didn't want to resort to posting here on the help board. In particular, the FAQ is geared more toward those so-called basic/beginner questions to which you were referring, while the knowledge base addresses a whole wider host of topics.

Regardless, good luck with merging and trying to determine the source of your duplicates. You may already have done so, but please make sure to first create a backup before taking any action.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

If you have differences in a fact in one or more records of multiple people and merge the people, you will have 2 of the same fact in the merged record.

You can do a Fact list report for "People with more than one of this fact" for each fact to find duplicates.

I prefer to Manual merge or do the Duplicate search/merge as I can check the facts, notes, and sources and make them the same before I merge the records. I can also mark people as Not a match on this screen. The time spent may be faster than going back and finding duplicate facts and fixing them later.

If I am doing the Duplicate merge and have any doubt, I close out the merge and go back to the records and check further before I merge. One instance I remember is a grandfather and grandson with the same name. I had nothing on the grandfather but a wife. When I checked that person's descendants, I knew they were not the same person.

It is the pits seperating someone you merged by mistake back into two seperate people. Been there, done that. I hadn't backed up before I started or backed up after I entered the 2 people.

Some thoughts on drag and drop:

The best way to learn about drag & drop is to drag & drop some people into a new database. Then close your main database. Make a second new database and practice dragging & dropping and merging those people.

When you are dragging and dropping, have the family you are going to be connecting to highlighted in the Family view in your main database.

You can drop a person on their name in the main database and RM will automatically merge the two people.
You can drop a child on the Children label in the main database and RM will add them to the children of that couple.

There is a check box on the drag and drop screen that shows up that will ask you if this is the same person or a child of xxxx.

You have to drag and drop both spouses to transfer marriage or family facts.

If you just drop persons into the database, go to RM Explorer to find see them.

To cause less confusion in my database, I prefer to drag and drop one family, husband, wife, children, and then merge and clean up facts and general notes for that family before I drag and drop another family. I usually use Manual merge doing this

Remember to merge Sources and Repositories.

Backup the main database frequently when doing a lot of drag & drop or merging. You don't want to lose all the good work you have done if you make a mistake.

If you are transferring a lot of people from one database to another, it is helpful to add a user defined fact to the people you have dropped in the database you are dragging and dropping from. Mine is !Transferred, description only, enter Y in the description when linked.

I hope this helps.

Laura