5 replies to this topic

#1 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

I just had a crazy thing happen to a RM database last night. While navigating via arrows backwards toward an older generation, I suddenly realized that as long as I kept clicking the same father and son kept reappearing alternately. I figured if I kept clicking arrows backward, I could have gone forever!! Each repeat of the father or son, have all the family ties with them creating a potential mess. If I delete the incorrect ones, I am afraid it will automatically delete the one in the correct position also. The good news is this did not happen to my own database which has over 5000 persons -- it happened to a new database I recently created for a friend I am helping to get started. So there are only 59 persons in the database. I am using RM 3.2.6. I did not import a GEDCOM-- all the individuals were entered by hand.

I am looking for the easiest way to correct this and not have to do it all over again. Would this be the easiest way to fix it -- 1st back it up of course, then create a copy and work from that -- then create a new database and drag and drop all the "good" families from the copy database into the new database, then re-enter by hand those two that get repeated.

What could have caused this? I am not a new user of RM -- I go back to days of Family Origins, and this is definitely a first!!!! My own database seems to be working just fine, but frankly I am leary of doing anything with it until I learn the cause. (It is backed up several ways.) Could I have a virus? What should I do next?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

As you said, Backup first.

Do not delete anyone.

Unlink someone from his parents, one of which is really his child.

You have linked someone so that he is his own parent.
Alfred

#3 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks so much. I will try that. But sorry I have to leave home right now for several hours. Will let you know how it works as soon as I get back.

#4 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Sounds like the parent is linked to the child, with that parent being referenced/linked to the child as though the child were the parent (in addition to the normal child-parent link), creating a loop.

1. If you check the actual parent of that pair, you should find that he/she is showing 2 sets of parents.

2. Unlink the actual parent from his or her parents set which shows the child inappropriately as parent. (In the current configuration, the actual parent is also child, and unlinking from the wrong parents is needed.)

This should yield the proper relationship. If it does not correct everything, you might consider unlinking all persons in these relationships, and relinking them properly. Then it should definitely show the correct relationships.

Doug

#5 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Well, Doug and Alfred you were right. As usual this forum solved my problem so easily. I went to the oldest father that I wanted to keep and simply unlinked him from his parents. Sooooo simple!! All those unwanted "extra" generations just magically went away and all appears normal once again. Now if we could just make all the troubles of the world disappear with one click!!!!!

#6 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Forgot to mention that first I made a copy of the database and did the unlinking with the copied database first. Also thought you might want to know that no one had 2 sets of parents. But it did appear that a loop had indeed been created because once I started navigating backwards to older generations I got into the "loop", then navigating back the other way to younger generations still had me going in the loop and couldn't get out of it. The only way I could get to the root person was to go to search.

Thanks again for the help on this forum. It saved me considerable time and grief!