• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 terry james

terry james

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Good Morning, I now receive that above message and 'windows is checking for solution'. I am running Vista.
Also I cannot find my backup files. can you oblige and tell me the file name and extension. tia

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

Not really enough information to hazard a guess.

Don't you have a RootsMagic icon on your desktop?
The program file is RootsMagic.exe, probably in C:\program files\RootsMagic

If it is there, then your data files are probably there too along with any backups, the backups will have an extension of ZIP, probably using the name of your database as the first part of their name and MAYBE the date created.

The data files and backups should not be there, but that is the default location. Vista doesn't like having anything doing conastant changes within it's Program Files folder. RootsMagic didn't know Microsoft was going to restrict use of the program files folder so it put the users spelling dictionary in with the other program files so if you ever want to add any words for the spelling checker, you should install RootsMagic in a different folder. I created a folder "C:\My Programs\' and installed RootsMagic there, Then I created a folder for the databases with subfolders for Backups, GEDCOMs, Reports and Printouts ans pointed the Tools-Options-Folders to these folders. Just so they are NOT in the Programs Files folder

Alfred

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hi Terry,

Regarding:
QUOTE(terry james @ Feb 14 2009, 05:49 PM) View Post

Good Morning, I now receive that above message and 'windows is checking for solution'. I am running Vista.
Also I cannot find my backup files. can you oblige and tell me the file name and extension. tia

Your post (above) did not say what message or problem you have. You alluded to an "above message"...however, it appears you posted your post as a New Topic, rather than as a reply in a thread of existing posts, and did not quote the post and message you were referring to.

If you would post again with more information, I'm sure someone can help you. When posting in a thread of existing posts, you must use the [Add Reply] button, or the [" Reply] button. That way your post appears in the threaded group of posts you are interested in. Using the [" Reply] button will include a quote of the post you are referencing in your post (using the button just below the text of that post). It will appear in your post just as my quote of your post appears here.

There is no way I can know a filename and extension for "your" backup; however, I can point you in the right direction.

Typically, the RootsMagic backup files are stored in a folder, with a filename the same as the name of your database, including a date in parentheses, and an extension of .ZIP as they are a set of files stored collectively in a single file. RootsMagic then extracts the inner files within that file in order to restore that backup version of your database.

To find your backup folder, and any backup files which were stored there, open RootsMagic software, and select Options... from the Tools menu. In Options you will see a selection (on the left) called Folders (beneath the category called Program Options). If you do not see Folders under Program Options, there should be a plus sign to the left of Program Options. Clicking that plus sign should expand it to show the option selections under it. When Folders is clicked, a list of folder location settings will display (on the right), among which is one for Backups. The hard drive address there is where you will find your files if you navigate there using Windows Explorer or My Computer.

However, to restore a backup, you do it from inside RootsMagic. If your database is open, close it using Close on the File menu. On the File menu, select Restore Backup... That will bring up a dialog box. In that dialog are two fields. The lower field should show the same hard drive address for backups as you will find above. The top field has a [Browse] button to the right of it. Use that [Browse] button to access any and all backup files you have at the location listed in the lower field. Select the desired file (typically your newest date of backup), and click the [Begin Restore] button. Follow the instructions RootsMagic gives after that.

If you have difficulties, try posting again on the board with more info.

Thanks,
Doug Couch

#4 terry james

terry james

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

[quote name='Alfred' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:43 PM' post='23945']
Not really enough information to hazard a guess.

Thank you for your reply.

I have already reinstalled rootsmagic to see if that resolved the problem. I was still unable to find my back up files and the only rootsmagic file I can find is the 'test' one I opened when i reinstalled the programme.
I do have icon on my desk top but it only opens the 'test' file. i have searched my files using vista search functions but cant find my back ups. I am reasonably confident that I have not deleted them accidentally.

I receive the message 'rootsmagic has stopped working' when i try to open the file 'RM Reader'

It seems I have lost ten years or more work!. My apologies for being so dumb.

terry

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

RMReader is a special program used only with the sharable CD. It is not usually used otherwise.

If the RootsMagic program opens with your test database then the program is OK!

Try going to the File menu, near the bottom should be a list of your last opened databases.
Is what you are looking for there? If so, double click on it to open it.

If not, click on OPEN within the same File menu and see if you see your database there, if so, double click to open or single click and choose open.

The main database file has an RMG extension, but it should also have at least 32 other files with about the same first name.

NOW, if youwant to restore a backup, you have to go to the File menu and choose "Restore Backup" That will show you any backup files within your default folder but, you can browse around looking for them too.
(Remember, if you restore a backup from a month ago, it will overwrite anything in it's parent database, so you loose any editing you did in the last month. --- UNLESS, you restore it to a different folder than the original is using. )
Alfred

#6 terry james

terry james

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

[quote name='Alfred' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:07 PM' post='23948']
RMReader is a special program used only with the sharable CD. It is not usually used otherwise.

If the RootsMagic program opens with your test database then the program is OK!

Hi, I have done all that. There is no file other than the 'test' I created. So it wld appear that I have lost them.
Tahanks for trying to assist.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

You can use Windows Vista to search the entire hard drive for your lost database.

If you know the exact name of it it is easier, but you can look for "*.RMG" (with or without the quotation marks.

Click on the Windows start icon, or press the keyboard Windows key,
Click Search,
Type "*.RMG" into the upper right field

(You may want to browse in the left hand column to make sure you are searching the entire hard drive, not just a folder or two.)
Alfred

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

At Tools>Options>Program Options under When RootsMagic starts there is a choice Open databases from last session.

If this box is checked, the database showing on the screen will be your Test database when you reopen RootsMagic as it was the database in use when RM closed.

To find out the path where any of your databases are stored on the hard drive, go to File>search for files in RootsMagic.

The default drive to search is C:\. My files are on D:\ so I change the drive letter.

If you highlight the path you can click on Open to open the database. Of course if your original database is corrupted, it might not open.

You can't search for a backup file, but the path of the database may give you clue to where the backup files may be.

If the path to the database is C:\Program files\RootsMagic that is probably where your backup files are among the program files.

My database files are in D:\A RootsMagic3 data\Databases so I would look for a Backup folder at D:\A RootsMagic3 data.

Laura