• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rock Veley

Rock Veley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

How do I create a list of persons in a database that are not linked to a selected person? In other words, my database has many persons who are not linked to me (relationship not proven yet) or to a common ancestor. I want to list those persons.

Hollis (Rock) Veley

QUOTE(Rock Veley @ Feb 14 2009, 12:13 PM) View Post

How do I create a list of persons in a database that are not linked to a selected person? In other words, my database has many persons who are not linked to me (relationship not proven yet) or to a common ancestor. I want to list those persons.

Hollis (Rock) Veley

Let me add that these unlinked persons are groups of persons who represent families to a selected person. That is why I cannot make use of the"Unlinked - People not linked to anyone else" feature when creating an Individual List under Print Reports.

Hollis (Rock) Veley

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Try Tools => Count Trees in Database.

It may not list your name but, you will probably know which tree you are in.
Alfred

#3 Rock Veley

Rock Veley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Feb 14 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

Try Tools => Count Trees in Database.

It may not list your name but, you will probably know which tree you are in.

Alfred:

That helps. smile.gif Thank you. I am going through everything manually and color-coding all names (and families) not linked to the main tree. When I determine where they can be attached to the main tree, then I will uncolor-code them.

Any other thoughts out there?

Hollis (Rock) Veley

#4 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

Alfred's suggestion seems to be exactly what you need. When you do Tools>Count trees in database, it creates a printable list of trees. That means that everyone who is in a tree not connected to your main tree, will show up in or as a separate tree. I just did it on my database to discover people who had been left behind when earlier deleting branches of people inadvertently added. There were all these small trees with one person or three persons, etc. Then I just navigated to them to review and see if they needed to be relinked or otherwise kept, or deleted. In your case, you can color-code those trees.

Example: My main tree showed with me at the root, and with over 7000 people in it. Then there were a few with 2 or 3 in them, and perhaps a dozen with only one person in them. Gave me control over my lost people who disappeared here and there when unlinking, changing relationships, etc., in addition to what I mentioned above.

Good luck...
Doug

#5 Rock Veley

Rock Veley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Doug Couch @ Feb 14 2009, 04:53 PM) View Post

Alfred's suggestion seems to be exactly what you need. When you do Tools>Count trees in database, it creates a printable list of trees. That means that everyone who is in a tree not connected to your main tree, will show up in or as a separate tree. I just did it on my database to discover people who had been left behind when earlier deleting branches of people inadvertently added. There were all these small trees with one person or three persons, etc. Then I just navigated to them to review and see if they needed to be relinked or otherwise kept, or deleted. In your case, you can color-code those trees.

Example: My main tree showed with me at the root, and with over 7000 people in it. Then there were a few with 2 or 3 in them, and perhaps a dozen with only one person in them. Gave me control over my lost people who disappeared here and there when unlinking, changing relationships, etc., in addition to what I mentioned above.

Good luck...
Doug

Thank you Doug. I had 21 trees besides the main tree, some with as few as 3 persons. It took me a couple of hours to color code the names in those 21 trees. Now I will routinely color code entries that I know not to be linked to the main tree.

It is useful (for me at least) to make entries of names and families that are not presently linked to the main tree when the moments present themselves, knowing that I can now easily find those unlinked names and families later.

I enjoy that the printed report is called a "Forest Report". biggrin.gif

Hollis (Rock) Veley