#1 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

2 years away and I'm rusty....sorry...

How do I remove all non BMD facts/events from all persons in my database during a GEDCOM export?

I want to import a bare-knuckes GEDCOM in to myheritage dot com

Thanks

B

#2 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Feb 5 2009, 09:27 AM) View Post

2 years away and I'm rusty....sorry...

How do I remove all non BMD facts/events from all persons in my database during a GEDCOM export?

I want to import a bare-knuckes GEDCOM in to myheritage dot com

Thanks

B

From the Help files for RM3:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To create a GEDCOM file:

1. With the database containing the information you want to export open, choose "File, Export GEDCOM" from the main menu.

2. Choose from the following options on the GEDCOM Export dialog, then click OK:

a. Who do you want to export You can choose to export the entire database or only select people by marking the radio button preceding the appropriate selection. If you choose "Selected people", RootsMagic will open up the selection screen for you to select the people to export.

b. Destination Choose the destination of the GEDCOM file you are exporting by clicking the radio button preceding your choice.

i. General - To exchange data with other software programs or other people using RootsMagic.

ii. Ancestral File - To submit your information to the Ancestral File data collection.

iii. TempleReady - To submit your information to the TempleReady program (LDS users).

c. Privacy options Choose whether you want to strip out (privatize) information on living people. If you choose to privatize your GEDCOM file, you can filter names and facts:

i. Names You can choose to export the full name, or just the word "Living" for living people.

ii. Facts You can choose to export the entire fact, no facts, or partial facts for each person.

d. Information to export Mark the check boxes of the information you want to export: notes, sources, LDS data, addresses, todo tasks, multimedia links, correspondence log, and note formatting. When exporting sources you can also choose whether to export the short and bibliography versions of the source. This is only necessary when the GEDCOM file will be imported back into RootsMagic.

3. Enter the filename you want for the GEDCOM file, and choose where to save the file to, then click OK to create the GEDCOM file. If you save the GEDCOM file to floppy, and it is too large to fit on a single floppy disk, you will be asked to insert another disk to continue the file on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this help?

JohnG

#3 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks John,

My understanding is that this filters facts/events from only LIVING people? I want to filter everyone.

B

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Feb 5 2009, 11:15 AM) View Post

Thanks John,

My understanding is that this filters facts/events from only LIVING people? I want to filter everyone.

B

Make a backup of your database
Then use <Set Living> to mark everyone in the database as living
Do the privatizing and export of ALL
Then restore your backup to return the LIVING flag back to the way it was for ALL ;-)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks kbenON

Tried that. But it either exports ALL facts (with date, place, date+place, year etc) or NO facts at all for each person.

Still can't work out how to filter out all facts for everyone in database EXCEPT year+place of BMD?

B

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Feb 5 2009, 11:57 AM) View Post

Still can't work out how to filter out all facts for everyone in database EXCEPT year+place of BMD?

B

LISTS -> FACT TYPE LIST
HIGHLIGHT each fact type not desired to be exported (of those that you DO use) and choose <Edit>
For that fact type, UNCHECK <Exporting GEDCOM Files> under [Where do you want to include this fact type?]
REPEAT for unwanted facts currently in use ( should NOT have to do this for fact types you've NEVER used smile.gif )
EXPORT GEDCOM
RESTORE checkmarks when done ( painful and time consuming YES wink.gif )

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

kbens0n Thanks.... that worked, but...

... GROAN, what a tedious excercise. (Although I used a duplicate file to switch off all the fields and hence saved myself the trouble of having to restore them). Its still not ideal because all parts of the place are still included, e.g. Number, Street, Suburb, Town, City, County, Country from my address field rather than juts a basic Town or City ncessary for online. Like I said, I've been on the dark side of the RM moon for 2 years, but hard to believe this has not arisen before...

The need to have a function to quickly export of basic BMD year/place GEDCOM for each person in database (or selected) for use in online public family trees.

I have not faced this problem before because the last time I fed my GEDCOMS in to sites such as Genesreconnected, they only recognised BMD fields. But now, sites like myheritage seem to recognise all facts/events.

Over to Wish List perhaps? I see RM4 is just around the e-corner?

B

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Create a new, empty database, call it BMD if you wish.
Uncheck "Exporting GEDCOM files" from all facts except Birth, Marriage and Death.
Backup this empty database for future use.
Export a GEDCOM file from your main database and import it into this BMD database. ---- OR, drag and drop from one database to the other ---- (You probably have some user defined facts that you will have to go through and uncheck the "Exporting GEDCOM files" box for too)
Export a GEDCOM file from this BMD database and send IT to myheritage dot com.

Delete the BMD database if you want to, you have the backup of the empty one to use at some later date when you will probably have more people.
Alfred

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

If you put any user defined facts into the empty template BMD database, you can mark all the facts not to be exported in a gedcom only once and not have to unmark user defined facts every time you use the BMD template database.

Make a new person in your main database and link all the user defined facts to that person. If you have family user defined facts, you will need to create 2 people, a person and a spouse.

Then drag and drop the person(s) into the BMD template database.

Delete the person(s) in your main database.

Delete the person(s) in the BMD template database.

Mark all the facts in the template database and back it up.

Laura

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Feb 5 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post
The need to have a function to quickly export of basic BMD year/place GEDCOM for each person in database (or selected) for use in online public family trees.

I have not faced this problem before because the last time I fed my GEDCOMS in to sites such as Genesreconnected, they only recognised BMD fields. But now, sites like myheritage seem to recognise all facts/events.

Over to Wish List perhaps? I see RM4 is just around the e-corner?

B

I'm ALWAYS for more flexibility... unfortunately, this is an operation likely to be done WAY fewer times than virtually -ANY- other (reduced facts and shortened places, etc.). It's counter to the purpose of GEDCOMs -generally- which are meant to share *as much* information as possible -AND- the number of times RM users are likely to actually do this is probably miniscule too ( no offense wink.gif )
Still...that IS what the Wish List is about... seeking consensus for things likely to be done by enough others!

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

I had posted the following note in the wish list over two years ago. If this idea were implemented, the user could set the desired mix of fact types to be exported without the need of setting and then changing them back.

"I know that you can change the report settings for each fact type. It would be nice to have several groups of settings so that you would not need to go to each fact type to change the characteristics.

GEDCOM export: Yes
Website creation: Yes
Narrative reports: Yes
Family group sheets: Yes
Individual summaries: Yes
Printed lists: Yes

You might have for example four groups:
1] Data for total strangers
2] Data for distant relatives
3] Data for cousins
4] Data for siblings

The report settings for fact types for each group would be independent of the other groups. Implementation of such an idea might be more difficult for user created fact types since they are not permanently embedded in RootsMagic. Remember that sharing your backup files shares everything in your database."