• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arkansasmiss

arkansasmiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

I would love to see an upgrade to RootsMagic that would allow us to keep our gen data on pocket pcs. It is rather a bit of trouble having to drag laptop to library to do research. Just a wish of mine.

Thanks,
Janet

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Check out Pocket Genealogist at

http://www.rootsmagic.com/orders.htm

Laura

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

The Pocket Genealogist sounds great. However, it indicates supporting "some" data types. Thus, going back and forth must lose "some other" data types.

Although I don't, I can use my pocket PC right now to access my home computer, load RM on my home computer, and view and operate it from my pocket PC (or any other software).

Although I haven't researched it thoroughly, there seem to be a few drawbacks to using a pocket PC.

1. Only one mini-USB port. This means I cannot utilize any peripherals if such exist for a pocket PC and plug in to use on the adaptor at the same time. I would need (preferably) a plug in full size keyboard such as a roll-up, a mini-mouse (rather than touch screen). Still, I could do without these; however, entering data from a touch screen or micro-keyboard (mine has both) is a total nightmare. (Bluetooth is available for some devices.)

2. The format of the software on-screen is designed for a regular monitor, not for my tiny pocket PC screen, so navigating around is torture. I have done it though when I needed to do something at home.

I do the above using remote access software such as logmein.com. I also use teamviewer.com's, but don't know if they have a pocket PC version.

Having a selectable pocket PC size screen compatible format you could switch RM to would be helpful.

However, there is yet another approach. Instead of a full-size laptop, you could use a mini-laptop such as designed for children. I have one with RM on board (uses WinXP) and it is great, light and extremely compact (fits in a medium size purse). There is no CD/DVD on board, but has 3 USB ports, can utilize a bigger keyboard if desired, or even plug in a full size monitor where available. Has about a 9" screen so is very viewable and usable much like a regular PC or laptop.

Of course, with the mini, I can also use remote access to load and use RM on my home computer (where internet is available), and do my work directly in my main database with no transfering files needed at all. The mini-laptop with great features is available at Walmart for $348 + extended warrantee. I'm planning on buying another one (this one I bought for my wife LOL).

Doug Couch
couchdouglas@aol.com

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3374 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

RM4 will run from a USB pen (thumb drive) so you won't need any additional hardware like a laptop, just the availability of a PC with a USB socket.

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=326

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

I know it's not the same but I keep a copy of my database on my Palm T5 with a program called GedStar Pro. I mostly use it for helping me remember things either while doing research or at family gatherings when someone asks who was related to whom or when someone was born. It's just a database browser, not an active database modifier.

Since I'm moving a lot of stuff to my Symbian smartphone I'd like to find a genealogy program for Symbian.