#21 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Jan 24 2009, 08:31 AM) View Post

See, that's where I went wrong. I typed in "pick list" without the quotes and got nowhere. Oh, I got a lot of items with Pick and with List but not picklist. You live and learn!!

Well, this is NOT to say that the help file is WITHOUT shortcomings... MANY program labels and functions, ETC. -do not- produce results tongue.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#22 Cherie

Cherie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thank you all very much, I will make a start the sources, if I get in a muddle, I will wait for the new version of RM.

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Jan 23 2009, 07:15 AM) View Post

I know this is a bit late in this conversation but:

What do you exactly mean when you talk about a "Pick List"?

Just wondering how Jim fills in his sources now, does this mean you can add a source without using the picklist?

#23 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Cherie @ Jan 27 2009, 11:32 AM) View Post

Just wondering how Jim fills in his sources now, does this mean you can add a source without using the picklist?

From any person, any fact, you can click on "Fact Sources" and from there "Add new source".

Regards,

#24 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Cherie @ Jan 27 2009, 09:32 AM) View Post

Hi Cherie,

RM won't allow you to create a new source without entering something into the Picklist name. You get a popup remindng you to enter it.

Laura

#25 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Jan 27 2009, 01:51 PM) View Post

RM won't allow you to create a new source without entering something into the Picklist name. You get a popup remindng you to enter it.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I'm probably not understanding this (wouldn't be the first time) or it's a difference between V2 (which I'm still on) and V3.

If I double-click on someone (in my test I'm using my son), I get the popup for his facts. If I select his "birth" fact and then click on the "Fact Sources" button I then get the "Edit fact: Birth (name)" popup screen. If from here I click the "Add new source" button I get the popup whose title is: "Edit Source". If I fill this in (I did one called "Dummy") and click OK I then get the popup for "Citation details". If I then fill this in and click OK and OK, I'm now back to "Edit person" for my son, with the new "Dummy" source added to the database. I did not see a pick list, source list, or any other list during this exercise. Nor was there a popup telling me to enter anything other than the new source details.

Am I missing something, am I just using the wrong terminology or is this something different in V2?

Many thanks,

#26 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

At the top of the Edit source window, above the first field:
RootsMagic 2 says: "Name of source to show on source list"

RootsMagic 3 says: "Picklist name (name to display in source list)"

So, if someone started earlier than version three, I suppose that they could possibly miss "Picklist".

Alfred

#27 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Ahh... thank you. That's why I was missing it.

Don't worry everyone, I will be going to V4 as soon as it's released so I won't be (quite so far) behind the times.

#28 Cherie

Cherie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone, I have gone away and tried to do this source thing, Im really not getting it right. If I carry on like Im doing Im going to have a picklist as long as father christmas in 2020.
Perhaps I could ask via an example.
take 1901 census england
If I have
1 family living in 'nice' town gloucestershire
2 families living in 'nice' village in gloucestershire
3 families living in 'nice' town somerset
4 families living in 'nice' town wales
Do I put a picklist for
Each family, which would equal 10 on my picklist
Each county, which would equal 3 on my picklist
or for the whole 1901 census, which would equal one on my picklist

Im getting in a pickle because each time I use the source wizard, the finished source item ends up with all the information from, say the family in 'nice town' gloucestershire being on the footnote, Bibliography and citation details for everyone.
Hope I have explained this ok
Thank you in aticipation
Cherie

#29 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Jan 20 2009, 06:56 AM) View Post

If you use each census source you find, in the manner above, don't you end up with an awful lot of sources? I have been using "1900 US Census" as the source and then use State, County, Town, Film-Roll, etc in the details. I don't see a downside to this method but not sure.

I go you one better. I just have a source "Census" that covers all censuses; US, UK & Canadian. I have a zillion sources already. Adding a source for every piece of paper in the file drawer would just cultter up the database.

#30 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

or for the whole 1901 census, which would equal one on my picklist

I would use what is in bold in the sentence above for your picklist name.

Keep it simple smile.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0