• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sage

sage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

The opening field in the source wizard is "Source Type". However, it does not have Court Records, or for that matter Wills that are not probated, etc. How do I add a type. Do the types dertemine the format of the wizard? If so can I construct a format to fit an added type?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

In RM3, you can't add a source wizard. You can can pick a source wizard close to what you want and adapt it.

Or you can Copy an existing source, and change what you need to change.

I make my own source templates by creating a source and putting a * first in the picklist name. Then, when I want to make a new source of that type, I copy the template and fill in the info between the square brackets removing the brackets.

For a census, it looks like this:
Picklist name:
*[census year], [state code], [county], [NARA film-roll]
Source:
[census year], [state], [county] County, [NARA film-roll], U.S. census population schedule; U.S. National Archives & Records Administration, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20408

Better solutions are coming in RM4 according to Bruce's blogs:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=265

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=297

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=314

Laura

#3 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

For a census, it looks like this:
Picklist name:
*[census year], [state code], [county], [NARA film-roll]
Source:
[census year], [state], [county] County, [NARA film-roll], U.S. census population schedule; U.S. National Archives & Records Administration, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20408

Laura
If you use each census source you find, in the manner above, don't you end up with an awful lot of sources? I have been using "1900 US Census" as the source and then use State, County, Town, Film-Roll, etc in the details. I don't see a downside to this method but not sure.
JIM.B.NH

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hi Jim, here are some of my thoughts on why I do census sources as I do.

Yes, I end up with a census source for every county for every census I have. And the source is quick to find in the Source list, type in census year, AR and then pick the county. RM has unlimited sources so that isn't a problem. Database sizes aren't a problem anymore.

I tend to look at what info I want a report to give me whether it is sources, repositories, etc. and setup the database up to give me that information keeping in mind the features of the report I want to use .

I can print a report for that source and see everyone that I have in that county for that census year. Since the report is sorted by surname, given name, it is a quick way for to me spot holes in my census records without making a custom report or other reports using a sort for that census, state, and county. And it tells me who I already have for that county.

The township, ED#, Pg.#, dwelling#, family#, and head of household goes in the Film/Page/Vol. box with the transcription of the census in the citation detail actual text.

A main source of just 1900 US census would give me a report of everyone that I have for the 1900 census in every state and county which, personally, I wouldn't find very useful on a day to day basis.

Most of my sources are set up to the county level, as most of my research ends up at that level.

It's great that RM is flexible enough for user's to set up their sources the best way for them.

Laura

#5 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

Good System Laura. Wish I had started that way. It's a bit late to change now but I sure like your organizational skills.
JIM.B.NH

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi Jim,

I keep looking at the new source templates and share fact blogs for RM4.

I would like to change all the censuses for each family over to share the census fact. And I'm thinking about creating a new census source for each source from a source template rather than have a free form source from RM3. I could do that at the same time that I changed the census fact to be shared.

At times I would probably have 2 sources for the same census until I got all the census facts changed over. But, I could live with that for awhile.

It is a little daunting to think about, but if I use the new format for all new entries and do the other a little at a time, I would eventually finish the project.

Maybe even by the time Bruce gives us another astounding change. biggrin.gif

Laura

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Laura and Bruce

I have thought about changing all the census formats to fit Elizabeth Shown Mills format, which is coming in RM4, but I like Laura have done it by State and then County level. I have one county that has 4 pages of census information.

I am not really happy doing it the way RM4 Sources has it set up, and may take me quite a while to really change everything. [I own the book Evidence Explained] Doing it the Mills way, would mean that the microfilm hard copy from FHL would have one source, then the copy from ancestry or heritage quest would be a second/third source, and before electronic web sites were available I had bought Census View 1850 census CD and that would be a 3rd source. If you had re looked at all of these copies on line and discovered that the page numbers and line numbers were different, like the 1860 census with it's two filmings (FHL), you would have double sources.

So I have in RM3 put in one source for each person, and noticed the differences in the Comment section of the Edit Details section. Probably not right, biggrin.gif but cuts down on many many sources of the same census per person.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi Nettie,

What you are doing looks OK to me.

As I am not a pro, I see no real need for me to create a seperate source for all the derivative sources I have available. Most of the people I share my database with are researchers and already know of the different sources to access census info. Those who aren't researcher don't care anyway.

I use the NARA film and roll numbers as my source for each county.

I use the Repositories for where I actually accessed the census for that county, Ancestry.com, LDS film, Census View, Heritage Quest CD, etc. One of the 2 Repositories is usually the LDS film number. The LDS repository is the actual film number not just a generic LDS Repository.

Instead of using the Repositories, I could put all the info for the different derivative sources for that county in the main source comment section.

The township, ED#, Pg.#, dwelling#, family#, and head of household in the Citation detail Film/Page/Vol. box is the info from the actual census page.

In the Citation details, I put the Ancestry.com image number or any other info that pertains specifically to that page.

Elizabeth Shawn Mills has a template for using the NARA film and roll numbers in her books, and, if I change my sources to use source templates in RM4, I will be using that template as a guide whether I use one already in RM4 or make my own.

Laura

#9 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

Laura
I thought I would ask your method for listing places. I hate the way this is handled in RM3. If I want to look for an event in Montreal, for example, I like to open up the Place List, print it on screen, then scroll down to the approximate date in question and look for a name. But, because I also want to make a note of a church name where a marriage or baptism took place, I include the name of the church which makes me have to print (on screen) many different listings for Montreal. So, how do you list places?
For places like Montreal with many many parishes I list:
Montreal, Que (St Agnes)
Montreal, Que (Our Lady of Mercy)
etc.,
I now I can do a "find" looking for someone with "any place name contains Montreal" but that is lengthy and not really what I want. With towns that have only one or two churches, I don't list the church in the place name. I list the exact location in the description notes.

Just wondered how you handle that?
JIM.B.NH

#10 Cherie

Cherie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hello, You all sound so knowledgeable about this subject, I know Im not posting in the correct thread, but after searching the forum for a long time, Im hoping someone will read this and help me.
I dont know how to use the "picklist" for Rootsmagic. I have entered quite a few things, but I find my picklist is huge. There must be a way to sort this so that it is condensed. Using the wizard is confusing me. Please can someone point me to a thread for learning how to start using the picklist.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Jan 22 2009, 07:17 AM) View Post

Laura
I thought I would ask your method for listing places.

Hi Jim,

I enter my places as Church name, City, County, State as I want my place names to print correctly in a Narative report. And, also, the researchers I do share my database with put their place names in that way.

I did have some church names in notes, but I have changed them to the place names preparing for the coming place detail feature in RM4. I also have some hospital, nursing home names, and other miscellaneous names that I changed over.

I can run a Place list reports and choose all places with events and reverse place names. This does give you all the place names, but I can scroll down to Texas and look for what I want rather than choose each individual place and run a report for each place.

A search seems to be a lot faster for me than checking all the places in a State for a date. So, If I was looking for a specific date or date range in the state of Texas, I would do a search for the date or date range and Texas in Roots Explorer, Individual list or a custom report.

I save Search filter templates in a database I call TipsTricks so I don't have to recompose a search filter everytime I want to make that search. It is sometimes quicker to open the database and access the template rather than make it up again when my brain is running on slow. smile.gif

Laura

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Cherie,

I don't know how long you've been using RM. However, if you have the luxury of waiting until RM 4.0 is released, I might consider doing it. It looks as though the additional templates will serve as a more effective guide in setting up your sources according to current published standards and practices.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that a large number of source picklist names may be a necessary evil if you adhere to the templates fully, but you always have the ability to override the level of detail if you want to modify what was entered in free form fashion.

I don't know that there's any sort of formal guidance available as to how to select a picklist name, but you'll want to provide enough detail to its name in order to make it unique in order to differentiate it from others that might be similar. Otherwise, it might be difficult when attempting to select from existing sources that you plan to cite.

In terms of naming sources, you'll also have to think about how it will sort within the picklist, itself. In terms of geographical names incorporated into picklist names, for sorting purposes, you might want to start at the largest entity and go to the smallest as you continue typing its name. Remember that you can begin to type the first few letters of the source name while in the picklist and that you'll be taken to ones matching that criteria.

Hopefully, others might be able to provide some additional factors that they take into account when naming in order to give you a better idea of what to consider.

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(Cherie @ Jan 22 2009, 11:39 AM) View Post

Hello, You all sound so knowledgeable about this subject, I know Im not posting in the correct thread, but after searching the forum for a long time, Im hoping someone will read this and help me.
I dont know how to use the "picklist" for Rootsmagic. I have entered quite a few things, but I find my picklist is huge. There must be a way to sort this so that it is condensed. Using the wizard is confusing me. Please can someone point me to a thread for learning how to start using the picklist.

Hi Cherie,

When you are in Lists>Source list, you can put your cursor in the left pane and start typing the picklist name and the program will take you to that source.

Think of the picklist name as folders and subfolders in a filing cabinent or as an outline where you are grouping sources. The goal is to be able to start typing in the picklist name or scroll down the list and find the source quickly.

My picklist looks like this.
Census, Year, State, County, NARA microfilm and roll:
1900, MO, Stoddard, T623-904
1910, OK, Lincoln, T624-1259
1910, OK, Love, T624-1261

Marriage:
LDS Microfilm for marriages for Sharp County, Arkansas
AR, Sharp, 1290001, Marriage, 1880-1887, C-D, SD
AR, Sharp, 1290002, Marriage, 1887-1895, D-E-F, S
Book with marriages only for Sharp County, Arkansas. Whitten is the author
AR, Sharp, Marriage, Whitten

You could choose to group all types of records together:
Census, AR, Sharp, 1900, T623-74
Family History, [Book name] = family history books
Marriage, AR, Sharp, [identify source in some way]
US, All, Marriage, [identify source in some way]

The picklist name doesn't print in any report except a Source report so you can group the sources by picklist name however is best for you.

I ususally suggest making a Play database and draging and dropping some people into it and then you can play around with RM's features without disturbing your main database. Then you can make the changes in your main database that you really want. If the Play database gets to be too much of a mess, it can always be deleted and started again.

I hope this helps

Laura

#14 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Jan 22 2009, 04:57 PM) View Post

Hi Jim,

A search seems to be a lot faster for me than checking all the places in a State for a date. So, If I was looking for a specific date or date range in the state of Texas, I would do a search for the date or date range and Texas in Roots Explorer, Individual list or a custom report.

Laura

I haven't used the report route. With over 144,000 names, it just takes forever.
JIM.B.NH

#15 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Cheri, Jim

My pick list is by Source Type example: Census, Marriage, Death, Church, Deed, Land, Court, etc....

Census: 1900 KY

Census: 1850 KY Campbell Co

Marriage Northumberland Co Va
Marriage Campbell Co

Death KY Certificates

Death MN Certificates

the above list is some of the samples. If more than one source for the pick list the pick list has added to it, Marriage, Campbell Co, Flagg Spring

Place lists I do like Laura is doing them. Which works well for my situation.

Genealogy:

#16 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

I know this is a bit late in this conversation but:

What do you exactly mean when you talk about a "Pick List"?
JIM.B.NH

#17 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

Open Your Source List
says Type a Source name to search That is called a Picklist tongue.gif
Double Click on a Source
The title to find your source is called a Picklist

That is where I use the Source type to find my sources again.

Does this help? smile.gif

Genealogy:

#18 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

Yup
I had never noticed the term picklist at the top of the source screen.
I couldn't find it in the help files.
I use that source list and print sources and events for a source all the time but never noticed the term picklist.

Thanks.
JIM.B.NH

#19 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Jan 23 2009, 06:28 PM) View Post

Yup
I had never noticed the term picklist at the top of the source screen.
I couldn't find it in the help files.
I use that source list and print sources and events for a source all the time but never noticed the term picklist.

Thanks.

In the help file, if you choose the <Search> tab, type 'picklist' (without quotes) then click <List Topics> button... you will find that it brings up three(3) topics. wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#20 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

See, that's where I went wrong. I typed in "pick list" without the quotes and got nowhere. Oh, I got a lot of items with Pick and with List but not picklist. You live and learn!!
JIM.B.NH