• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Be Gunelson

Be Gunelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

I have a problem. I can not open Roots Magic. It flashes up and then disappears. The program is there, but I cannot access the thing. All my other programs are working fine.

laugh.gif

#2 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Of course, you could have a corrupted file in the program, requiring uninstall-reinstall...or you could have a corrupted file in your operating system, requiring...well you get the idea.

However, I once ran into this with RM and other software. I use a 2-monitor system, and I had disconnected the 2nd monitor without resetting properties. When I would open certain programs, the program would appear briefly, remain on the taskbar, but disappear. Turned out it was actually up, but was up on the other monitor...which was absent...a memorized positioning setting. Some programs will automatically revert to the main monitor if the other isn't actually polled and sensed as present, and others will not. If such a situation exists, you can either reset properties (desktop) or simply reconnect the other monitor. In the first instance, the program will now appear on the main (only) monitor. In the second instance, it will appear where (in memory setting) it always was, but not displayed until it had a monitor to display it on.

Anyway, that may not be your issue, but if so...there 'tis.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

I suspect that you have it set to open the the database(s) which was/were loaded when you last closed down and it is corrupted in some way.

If you can find the RootsMagic.INI file, in Windows XP, I find it in:
C:\Documents and Settings\User-name\Application Data\RootsMagic

Open it in a wordprocessor, NotePad or WordPad will do, find the line
LastOpen=1
and change it to:
LastOpen=0
and save as plain text.

((OR, you can just delete this RootsMagic.INI file, but you loose any program options you have set.))

Now try the RootsMagic icon to see if the program opens.
If it does, try opening your database, it will probably crash.

IF it crashes, restore your last backup and be on your way.
--You MAY want to restore this backup into it's own folder to allow any chance of salvaging something from your original.---
Alfred

#4 Be Gunelson

Be Gunelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 16 2009, 09:40 PM) View Post

I suspect that you have it set to open the the database(s) which was/were loaded when you last closed down and it is corrupted in some way.

LastOpen=1
and change it to:
LastOpen=0
and save as plain text.

((OR, you can just delete this RootsMagic.INI file, but you loose any program options you have set.))

--You MAY want to restore this backup into it's own folder to allow any chance of salvaging something from your original.---

I use Vista. How do I find the Roots Magic.INI file there?

#5 Be Gunelson

Be Gunelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 16 2009, 09:40 PM) View Post

LastOpen=1
and change it to:
LastOpen=0
and save as plain text.

I use Vista. Where and how do I find the INI fille there?

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

Be,

In Vista, try:

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\

where xxxxx indicates your Windows username.

Good luck!

#7 ShirleyJ

ShirleyJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

I also cannot open my Roots Magic program in the last week or so. When I click the icon, I can see the program quickly flash on the screen and then I get the box that wants to send a report to Microsoft.

I believe this problem has occured after I installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pak....but, not sure.

I am using Windows XP and I tried to find that RootsMagic.INI file and can find it on my computer.

I have tried restoring the computer back a week or so....and that doesn't help the problem.

I have tired to re-install the program and that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any other suggests?

Thanx,
Shirley

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

In my Windows XP Directory, the RootsMagic.INI file in question is:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\RootsMagic\ROOTSMAGIC.INI
-- (The little bitty RootsMagic.INI file in the 'ALL USERS' path is only for the registration code, don't mess with that)

Open it with WordPad, NotePad or another text editor and change the line:
LastOpen=1
to
LastOpen=0
and save, (the default SHOULD be plain text with the original extension, if not, make sure it is.)

If your database is corrupted, you will probably crash RootsMagic when trying to open it, in which case you will have to go to restore your backup file.
Alfred

#9 ShirleyJ

ShirleyJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thank you Alfred for the response.

I did a complete search of my drives and the only .INI file that shows up for Roots Magic is for RMLABELS.

So....it looks like my RootsMagic.INI file has disappeared and that is probably the problem.

IF....I uninstall the Roots Magic program on my computer will it harm any of the data files attached to it?

Or will they just stay where they are??

Thanx again,
Shirley

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(ShirleyJ @ Feb 11 2009, 04:44 PM) View Post

Thank you Alfred for the response.

I did a complete search of my drives and the only .INI file that shows up for Roots Magic is for RMLABELS.

So....it looks like my RootsMagic.INI file has disappeared and that is probably the problem.

IF....I uninstall the Roots Magic program on my computer will it harm any of the data files attached to it?

Or will they just stay where they are??

Thanx again,
Shirley

You may have Windows default settings turned "ON" which hide (protect) certain system files and folders from unwary users. You can achieve a similar thing by pressing and holding CTRL + SHIFT keys while pressing "U" key. This will reset your RootsMagic Program options (which means you will have to go back in and set those back up)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Feb 11 2009, 07:41 PM) View Post

You can achieve a similar thing by pressing and holding CTRL + SHIFT keys while pressing "U" key. This will reset your RootsMagic Program options

That will be difficult to accomplish, given that both users report that RM only stays open long enough to flash across the screen.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Feb 11 2009, 11:30 PM) View Post

That will be difficult to accomplish, given that both users report that RM only stays open long enough to flash across the screen.

You're -SO- right laugh.gif
So, I'll be helpful (where you may not know the answer) and show how to unhide those files:

-Open your My Computer icon from the Start Menu or Desktop
-Choose Tools->Folder Options from that windows's top toolbar
-Select the VIEW tab of Folder Options dialog window
-Click radio button to the left of the words <Show hidden files and folders>
-Uncheck <Hide extensions for known file types>
-Uncheck <Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Try that search again for all *.INI files on your C: drive

-Reverse above settings when finished

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#13 ShirleyJ

ShirleyJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

WOW!!!!

I've got it restored. THANK YOU ALL.

In case anyone else has this problem. Here is what I actually found.

I actually followed Alfred's original directions of:

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\RootsMagic\ROOTSMAGIC.INI

The problem for me was....that the .INI was NOT showing on the file. When I got frustrated and just started clicking and opening each file name I found the place to change the LAST OPEN to 0. I made the change and was able to finally open RootsMagic....BUT....my file wasn't there. So.....just restored it and all 111,000 or so names were there.

Again.....thanx to everyone.

Shirley