9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

I know this has to be possible - just not thinking clearly this morning - need another cup of coffee.

I have a person who has three set of parents - not distinct - because of marriages, divorces, adoptions, and step-parenting. I have these parenting groups out of chronological order. I know there must be a way to reorder them similar to reordering children within a family - just not coming to mind this morning. Thanks
JohnG

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(JohnG @ Jan 16 2009, 10:53 AM) View Post
I have a person who has three set of parents - not distinct - because of marriages, divorces, adoptions, and step-parenting. I have these parenting groups out of chronological order. I know there must be a way to reorder them similar to reordering children within a family - just not coming to mind this morning. Thanks

With any individual highlighted, you can either:

-Click EDIT -> FAMILY (on RootsMagic Toolbar at top of screen)
OR
-Right Click the individual and choose EDIT FAMILY -> GENERAL INFO

There are <Sort Wives> and <Sort Husbands> buttons which will be available (not grayed out) ~IF~ there were more than one spouse entered.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Jan 16 2009, 01:09 PM) View Post

With any individual highlighted, you can either:

-Click EDIT -> FAMILY (on RootsMagic Toolbar at top of screen)
OR
-Right Click the individual and choose EDIT FAMILY -> GENERAL INFO

There are <Sort Wives> and <Sort Husbands> buttons which will be available (not grayed out) ~IF~ there were more than one spouse entered.

All those relationships are in order - each wife with respect to each husband and vice versa.
But . . . Highlighting the child on the Pedigree screen and Selecting the Parents:3 in the upper left-hand corner yields a drop down list showing: the 3rd set of parents listed first, the 1st set of parents listed second and the 2nd set of parents listed third.

I'm going to check all the applicable sort dates - I have some "befores" and "betweens" on marriages and divorces

--------------------------------------

All sort dates are at least 2 years apart and in proper order. Same condition exists.
JohnG

#4 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Your response makes me wonder: Did you go do the procedure offered? Or did you just say what you said? Your response sounded like you did not understand what was being told to you. If your drop-down list, shows them out of order, then perhaps you should do the procedure, then report whether that specific procedure worked to correct the problem or not. These things are easy to misunderstand or assume about when we talk here about them. (If you didn't keep the email with the procedure, check on the forum for it at rootsmagic.com.)

#5 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Doug Couch @ Jan 16 2009, 07:27 PM) View Post

Your response makes me wonder: Did you go do the procedure offered? Or did you just say what you said? Your response sounded like you did not understand what was being told to you. If your drop-down list, shows them out of order, then perhaps you should do the procedure, then report whether that specific procedure worked to correct the problem or not. These things are easy to misunderstand or assume about when we talk here about them. (If you didn't keep the email with the procedure, check on the forum for it at rootsmagic.com.)

Doug, I verified the parental relationships were OK before Kevin replied and again using Kevin's procedure after he replied just to make sure all bases were covered. Sorry my comments mislead you.
JohnG

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hay folks, he is not trying to arrange marriages or spouses, he is trying to arrange multiple parents.

I think that a person't multiple parents are probably arranged by the record number of their family. The first family entered into the program will show up first in the parent list. There is no way that I know of to change the order they are listed except to unlink by deleting the second family (which is listed first, then rebuild the family so it is the second one listed. (too much trouble for my taste.)
Alfred

#7 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 16 2009, 09:25 PM) View Post

Hay folks, he is not trying to arrange marriages or spouses, he is trying to arrange multiple parents.

I think that a person't multiple parents are probably arranged by the record number of their family. The first family entered into the program will show up first in the parent list. There is no way that I know of to change the order they are listed except to unlink by deleting the second family (which is listed first, then rebuild the family so it is the second one listed. (too much trouble for my taste.)

Alfred, I'm inclined to agree with you, they do show up in the order entered. The 3rd set of parents, whom I know personally, were entered first. At a later date, as I was expanding the tree, I asked about and entered the birth parents etc.

Thanks for your help
JohnG

#8 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:02 AM

I personally don't use multiple sets of parents as described except for the case of adoptive parents. But, the question brings up the idea that, if you unlinked the individual from ALL the parents, then added them in, in the order you want them listed, would they come out the way you want? Just a thought. As I said, I don't add a stop mother as a parent, I just list the child under the parents he/she was born to.
JIM.B.NH

#9 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Jim, I entered the parental info as I was made aware of it which in this case was not in chronological order and thus the child was listed first with the adoptive and step parents rather than with the birth parents. When RM4 becomes available I'll see if it offers an option to rearrange otherwise I'll probably just leave it alone.
JohnG

#10 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

. . . and the solution is . . .

The parents were listed in 3rd set, 1st set, 2nd set order. By unlinking the child from the 3rd set and then relinking him to the 3rd set, everything fell into line. It worked in both RM3 and the pre-release of RM4. Thanks everyone for your help
JohnG