5 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:05 AM

RM3 crashes while attempting to create an RTF from Publisher. PDF and screen/printer reports of same data are created ok.

About 16 pages are created before the first error msg pops up. A small window labeled OurRealLoc pops up with msg "Ran Out of Memory." When I click "OK," another small window labeled FlushRtfLine pops up with same out of memory msg. Clicking "OK" on that screen closes RM.

The report is 116 pages in any format I choose, and has several images attached. I have RM configured to open my word processor when the file is completed. However, even with that option deselected, the out of memory problem persists.

The RM Help File tells me that creating an RTF from RM is problematic because "Rich text files... have a few limitations like not being able to handle photos or other graphics."

This isn't exactly accurate because I have created many rtf files using RM that include people photos and documents saved to jpg format. I typically set graphics to print at 3"x3".

Computer is running XP with all updates and installed memory is 4Mb. No other programs are running.

So, am I actually running into memory problems or, have I exceeded capabilities of RM to create an RTF file this large?

Thanks - Jack

Jack

a posteriori

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

RM3 crashes while attempting to create an RTF from Publisher. PDF and screen/printer reports of same data are created ok.

I have been making .rtf files since day one of FO/RM. I do not do it from Publisher.

I use Reports and choose Narrative Reports,
look at it first in the screen print and if okay, [making sure sources etc are transferred okay]
I then go back and create the Narrative Report as a rtf and save it in my surname files [appropiate one].
Then work on it in MSWord or WordPerfect. If pictures do not transfer which they didn't use to, I never worried about that as I can re insert them and work on them in Word/WP. I also reformate this file, to take out the extra white spaces. [double hard returns]

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

There was a discussion thread regarding this issue last year on the Rootsweb mailing list for RootsMagic:

http://archiver.root...7-07/1184440538

I think the most common possibility is the number and size of images that are included. Hopefully you have not included any images whose print size is larger than a single sheet of paper. Many folks mistakenly add overly large, high-resoulution graphic files (like the originals from a digital camera) that are just not made to be inserted into some document formats and impractical for size considerations (both import and printing).

Cheers,
kbens0n

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi Jack,

I had noticed RM's Help comment earlier about RTF, photos, etc. Here is something you can research a bit. There is an original Rich Text Format (.rtf), and that format is text only, but allows font attribute enhancements such as bold, italic, color, etc. However, certain RTF editor programs which use the .rtf extension, and which refer to their documents as Rich Text Format, are not pure RTF in nature. An example of this is WordPad by Microsoft. You can capture and save text with photos in that editor's documents...called RTF documents. However, this is a modified RTF format, and is not literally RTF. They could be more clear by calling it Rich Text With Photos Capability Format. LOL

Although I don't use Publisher in the way you are describing, it is no surprise that the software has problems in that area. I have used Publisher for years, including (as an editor) for publishing a half-page format booklet newsletter, both in hard copy with professional printers, and in sequentially paginated PDF. For what it is, Publisher is a great program, one I use in preference to the much more expensive and extensive Adobe InDesign at times because of its direct simplicity to do certain things without a hassle. Of course, that really is comparing apples and oranges.

If you can get a decent output saving/exporting as a Word .doc file, do that instead. Then load the .doc file into Word and see if Word will give you a decent .rtf save/export, because it may handle the WordPad style RTF format conversion with photos better (and may not).

If nothing works for you in this, I'm not sure why anyone would specifically need an RTF file of this rather than a PDF file. The PDF file format (Portable Document Format) was specifically created for exporting multiple formats into a single, cross platform-readable format capable of including all text, attributes, photos, charts, and basically anything that would otherwise have been sent to a printer. If whatever you have does not create a PDF accurately, there are freebies on the web which can be downloaded and used as a printer driver (selectable in the Print dialog) to create PDFs from basically "any" program capable of operating system-based printer output. These work similarly to Adobe's "Adobe PDF" printer driver, one of Adobe Acrobat Professional's options for creating PDF files. Some are better than others, so don't give up if you try one and are dissatisfied.

Good luck, Doug (couchdouglas@aol.com)

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(Doug Couch @ Jan 4 2009, 10:47 AM) View Post

If nothing works for you in this, I'm not sure why anyone would specifically need an RTF file of this rather than a PDF file.
Good luck, Doug (couchdouglas@aol.com)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the in depth discussion. I haven't yet had a chance to follow your suggestion of first creating a .doc file then converting to .rtf, but it sounds workable.

Several of us working on a particular individual within a family, and all need to make comments, changes, etc. That's rather difficult to do when the file is in pdf. Having said that however, there is a pdf reader I use called PDF-XChange Viewer that works well for editing. Now, if I could only convince the other 15 or so working on this family to use it! biggrin.gif

Jack

Jack

a posteriori

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hi Jack
Just to add a point of information. MSPublisher is good for cards, brochures and any item that is not indexed, nor has the need to have a table of contents.

When you said Publisher, I was assuming the one inside of RM 3. That looks like it is not the MSPublisher which others of us have referenced to.

Even so, I still stand by the use of the reports and create the one you want in a text or rft format that can be updated in any software package that does word processing. Family Group Sheets or Narrative reports will give you all the facts that you have entered for a family. Sounds like you have quite a project going. Good luck with your efforts. smile.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0