• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

I have just started converting from Legacy to RM and have 2 questions at this time.

In Legacy there is a field on the detail source leval that lets me store a local id. This is a file name for the source detail. How do you handle this in RM? It appears that this is on the source citation leval in rm.

Is there a way to have RM start with a family view instead of the pedigree view?

Thanks
Roger

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(RWells @ Dec 19 2008, 06:13 PM) View Post

In Legacy there is a field on the detail source leval that lets me store a local id. This is a file name for the source detail. How do you handle this in RM? It appears that this is on the source citation leval in rm.

I've never used Legacy so I'm not sure what source id you mean.

Perhaps this will help. I am assuming that "a file name for the source detail' is the same as RM's picklist source name.

In RM, you give a source a picklist name when you create the main source at Lists>Source list.

When you add a source to a person's fact using the "Add an existing source" button, you use the picklist name to find the source you want to add to that fact.

Then you click on the detail box and add the details that fit for that fact for that person.

Is there a way to have RM start with a family view instead of the pedigree view?

Go to Tools>Options>Database>Options. Open the Starting view when opening this database" menu.

Laura

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have just started converting from Legacy to RM and have 2 questions at this time.

Thanks
Roger

On your second question, go to Tools>Options>Database Options>Click on down arrow
on "Starting view when opening this database" Then select "Family view"

Of course you can change the view directly from the main screen whenever needed. But it will revert to the default case the next time you open the database.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 19 2008, 08:39 PM) View Post

I've never used Legacy so I'm not sure what source id you mean. Perhaps this will help. I am assuming that "a file name for the source detail' is the same as RM's picklist source name. In RM, you give a source a picklist name when you create the main source at Lists>Source list.

I think Laura has described the correct correlation, but if NOT, there is also a field called <Personal file number> in the <Edit Source> screen which can be used for such designations.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The answer for selecting the family view worked great. I had totally missed the database option in the options.

I think my other question was too mixed up for anyone to answer. Let me try again.

When I add a birth source using a birth certificate as source. I select the source from the pick list then go to the citation detail screen where I can enter film/volume/page number; quality; then the text.

Some where in this citation detail i would like to record the location of the scanned image of the Birth Certificate image I have on my hard disk. Usually this is something like V001_001. I have a program that will search for the V001_001 and bring up the image if I like.

I did note that the source has a field for personal file number but if I have many birth certificates I would have to add a new source for each one in order to use this field.

Maybe I need to use the media to store this.

Next question:

How do I import a gedcom and retain the rin numbers that are in the gedcom?

Thanks
Roger

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(RWells @ Dec 20 2008, 06:23 AM) View Post

When I add a birth source using a birth certificate as source. I select the source from the pick list then go to the citation detail screen where I can enter film/volume/page number; quality; then the text.

Some where in this citation detail i would like to record the location of the scanned image of the Birth Certificate image I have on my hard disk. Usually this is something like V001_001. I have a program that will search for the V001_001 and bring up the image if I like.

I link the photo, text, pdf, html files as Multimedia.

When you link to a media file, you have the location of the file, description, and comments when you click the Properties button. You can also click on the View/edit button and see the actual photo, text file, etc.

You are not restricted to how many times one media can be linked.

I link the media for a source to the fact, to the main source, and to the fact source detail. I will also sometimes link the same mediat to a Place.

On the fact source screen, the Multimedia button at the top is add/view media linked to the fact.

Click on the Source name box or the Edit source button to open the main source and add/view media. (This is the main source at the Lists>Source list.

Click on the detail box to add/view media.

The fact source detail linked media doesn't print in a scrapbook or on the Multimedia list report, so I link the media at least to the fact. But, when there is more than one source, it is handy to highlight a source on the fact source screen and view the media from the fact source detail.

I did note that the source has a field for personal file number but if I have many birth certificates I would have to add a new source for each one in order to use this field.

I don't use the personal file number either. I put the location of the paper copies into the comment section of the fact source detail. Looking at the Edit source snapshot on the RM4 blog that will be changing as there is a Detail file # box.

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=265

How do I import a gedcom and retain the rin numbers that are in the gedcom?

When you import a gedcom into a new database, there is a box to check on the Gedcom import screen.

If you import a gedcom into an existing database, the people are given record numbers starting after the last record number already used.

Laura

#7 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Lara

I could not find the check for the import of a gedcom.

I create a new file
I click import a gedcom found in the file menu
I then select my gedcom file
I am then given an option to add new source for the gedcom
which I choose NO - Do not add and additional source...

The program then imports the gedcom with no other options

I must be missing something?

Roger

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hi Roger,

On the Gedcom import screen, the eye sort of goes from the add source boxes to the Begin import button.

That makes the box to check for Keep original record numbers easy to miss.

It is at the bottom left of the screen, flush with the left margin.

Laura

#9 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Laura

My screen dose not have that check box.

I am using version 3.2.6

I tried to attach a image but no success.

I will keep looking for the check box.

Roger

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

The option to keep the individual record numbers is only there when importing a Family Origins or RootsMagic.

You can sometimes cheat a bit by changing the name of the GEDCOM source program to "Family Origins" before importing the GEDCOM file.
This will only work if the exporting program exports to the gEDCOM file using the ID number as the GEDCOM file individual number.
Alfred

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Dec 20 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post

The option to keep the individual record numbers is only there when importing a Family Origins or RootsMagic.

You can sometimes cheat a bit by changing the name of the GEDCOM source program to "Family Origins" before importing the GEDCOM file.
This will only work if the exporting program exports to the gEDCOM file using the ID number as the GEDCOM file individual number.
Here's what Alfred is talking about:

I used Legacy Version 7 (Free) to export a GEDCOM (with these options):
-Produce file for: GEDCOM 5.5 Only
-Character Set: ANSI

Then I opened that GEDCOM in a (text-mode) editor and replaced...
THESE LINES:
0 HEAD
1 SOUR Legacy
2 VERS 7.0
2 NAME Legacy ®
2 CORP Millennia Corp.
3 ADDR PO Box 9410
4 CONT Surprise, AZ 85374
1 DEST Gedcom55

WITH THESE:
0 HEAD
1 SOUR RootsMagic
2 NAME RootsMagic
2 VERS 2.04
2 CORP RootsMagic, Inc.
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-877-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW WWW.ROOTSMAGIC.COM
1 DEST RootsMagic

Now when that .GED file is imported to RootsMagic, the <Keep original record numbers> checkbox appears (to the left of the <Begin import> button) in the final screen before import AND the numbers appear to be preserved as they were in Legacy.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

Thanks

That worked great.

I appreciate the help and will be back I am sure.

Roger

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(RWells @ Dec 20 2008, 06:13 PM) View Post

Laura

I tried to attach a image but no success.

Roger

What type of image file were you trying to link?

If it was a photo file, it might be in a format that RM does't support like a GIF file.

If it was a word processor file, pdf, or htm, yu have to choose file on the Type of scrapbook item menu.

You also might want to check out the Help in RM. Linking media is covered under Multimedia scrapbook.

Laura

#14 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Laura

I was trying to attach a screen shot image to the comment in this board.

The other posters gave me the answer I needed.

Thanks for your help also and taking the time to help a newbe

Roger

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 21 2008, 01:14 PM) View Post
What type of image file were you trying to link?
If it was a photo file, it might be in a format that RM does't support like a GIF file.

As a side note:
RootsMagic actually *DOES* support .GIF files...
ONE JUST HAS TO CHOOSE:
<Add> <File>
INSTEAD OF:
<Add> <Photo / Image>

NOTE: I ~believe~ that .GIF was not appearing for <Add> <Photo / Image> because Bruce has avoided that format due to it's longtime copyright/licensing restrictions. These have since expired in 2004 (Click here for the Wikipedia explanation) and Bruce just hasn't chosen to support them directly, yet.
( Perhaps in Version 4.0? wink.gif )

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hi, Kevin & Alfred,

I learned a lot from both of you on this thread.

Thanks. smile.gif

Roger, sorry I misunderstood about where you were trying to attach images.

Laura

#17 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

roger,
i'm dealing with that exact issue- transfering detail level source id numbers to rm. while rm3 does not allow detail level source id, rm 4 will. what i am doing is waiting till 4 comes out before transferring my data. the detail level source number is only one issue, there may well be others. all the more reason to wait, imho.

#18 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 21 2008, 11:43 PM) View Post

Hi, Kevin & Alfred,

I learned a lot from both of you on this thread.

Thanks. smile.gif

Thanks Laura.
IMHO, you're "the bomb" on here *TOO* biggrin.gif (...and Alfred ph34r.gif has been *AMAZING* to me for all these many years tongue.gif )
You bring awesome, concise and detailed answers, from a *REAL* research and documentation perspective, that really highlights RootsMagic's power and applicability, whereas I tend to just "hack" up answers freeform.
Happy Holidays to all "youse guys" !!!

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#19 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:39 AM

All

As I mentioned I am just begining with RM3. I purchased it with the option to get RM4 when it is ready. I will be playing with RM3 to get to know the product.

I am really impressed with some to the new features and will be using them when available.

If anyone has converted from Legacy I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have to bring over my data. So far it is going pretty good.

Again thanks for the help. Most of the answers were right on. Then only problems ocured when I could not explain what I wanted clearly.

I also appreciate the courtsey of those on this board and their willingness to help.

Roger