9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

I have a registered copy of RM 3.2.6 performing just fine on my WIN XP SP1 computer, and I wanted to make a travel copy for my laptop. Sounded easy enough...

So I installed RM on the laptop (WIN 95 - yes its old but it works) to the D: drive as that was where I had FO ver 10 (removed it first). So far so good. RM started up fine. I then setup the same folders as named on my main computer.

Next I tranferred my RMG database files to the same folder on the laptop, and then attempted to open the database only to receive this error "An error was encountered opening this database. Access to D:\RootsMagic\Database\zap_I.DBF was denied" dry.gif This was the same database that was open and working on the XP computer.

So I tried another tactic. I made a backup of the database, and copied it to the laptop. I then created a new database on the laptop. That worked fine. Now I have an empty datafile so I attempted to restore the newly created backup file to empty database. I got the "overwrite existing database?" window. I said YES, and a window poped up that said "The Backup was not fully restored". Well that was true as there were zero people in the new database. None of the over 11,000 people were transferred.

I know this process works, but I can not figure out why it's not working in this instance. huh.gif

Could it be as simple as the original data was created on a C: drive, but I now want to use it on a D: drive?

Ideas anyone?

Thank you...

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

1. Make a backup of your database on the XP-based system.
2. Copy it to folder on Laptop that you specified in Program Options -> Folders -> Backups (when you installed this second copy of RM)
3. Start up RootsMagic on the Laptop and close any/all open databases
4. Select File -> Restore Backup
5. Backup to restore: -> Click <Browse>
(The backup file "databasename.ZIP" should already be at this default location that you entered in Program Options -> Folders ->Backups)
6. Highlight (left-click) file named "databasename.ZIP" and click <Open>
7. Folder to restore backup in: -> (Should already be at default location that you entered in Program Options -> Folders -> RootsMagic)
8. Click <Begin restore>

If any error messages occur (as previously described) then the original database ~may~ have problem(s).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

(( is there enough hard drive space on the laptop for the entire database? ))

You do not need to create a new, empty database to restore a backup into. In fact it will not restore into an existing database, unless it overwrites it, in that case it is just replacing one anyway.

OK, try this:
On the desktop computer,
Rename your original database, Open it and do a File => Rename database, hit the HOME key on the keyboard and type something like OLD or ORIGINAL before the name and hit the Enter key to complete it.
Now, try restoring that backup file, File => Restore backup.. , choose the one that doesn't work on the laptop.
--- Does it work here ln the desktop??

IF NOT, go back to the renamed original database and export a GEDCOM file, File => Export GEDCOM.. Give it a name and choose all of the options to export.
---- Did exporting the GEDCOM file work without an error message?
If it did, try creating another backup of that renamed original and lweave it on a CE or floppy and try to restore it to your laptop from that removable media.

The folders you are using should make no difference until you try to copy and use the multimedia files.

Alfred

#4 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

First, let me thank those who are trying to help with this.... Ok, here's what I've done so far.

I have 3 copies of the original DB - The one I made before I started to place RM on the laptop, A copy before reindexing, and a copy after reindexing the DB. Each of those DBS will properly create a new DB using the File / Restore Backup/ menu selection on two different destop computer's: mine (the original data source), and a second, new installation of RM on my wife's destop (also WIN XP SP1).

None of the 3 DB ZIP files will create a DB on the laptop's installation of RM - either from the backup folder on the hard drive, or directly from a removeable media file (CDROM).

Yes, the laptop has ample disk space. It has 407MB free, and the destop installation only consumes 131MB (that includes the RM program, and all the data & image files.

Alfred - thank you for the note on the multimedia file locations. I encountered that issue once and resolved it using the global search & replace function...

To sum it up, I still am unable to use the RM backup ZIP file to create/restore that file on my laptop....

#5 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

The solution offered by ibensOn is the standard solution, also available in the FAQ section. However, there are a couple more you might try.

1. Import a GEDCOM created by RM on your original computer...onto the Win95 computer. When prompted, have it create a new database on the fly.

2. Manually copy ALL the files with the same filename as the .rmg file to a disk or flash drive (whichever works), and paste them into a folder on the Win95 machine (doesn't matter what the folder is called). Then attempt to Open that database from the Open dialog on the Win95 machine. NOTE: Manual copies of regular files works better than using multiple conversions used by backup-restore and export GEDCOM-import GEDCOM.

Since this same database is working on the original machine, if it will not open/create properly on the Win95 machine, there are a few possibilities as to why.

1. The installation on the Win95 machine has errors, corrupted a file during installation, or similar. Uninstall and reinstall "might" help.

2. Incompatible versions of, or corrupted versions of system files in...Win95 might prevent perfect file creation for some types of files. That would require some research...and probably come up with nil.

3. The installation of RM on the original computer might have a problem. It may work fine, but have a problem with a file used in creating backups, etc. Uninstall and reinstall of RM on the original machine, and then retrying the backup/restore and/or other methods to the laptop "might" help.

4. The media (floppy or other) might have a problem. Try using a different media (different disk or other method of transfer...not many methods available in Win95 of course). If the Win95 machine has internet, you might try transferring the files over the Internet using email attachment, or remote access (such as TeamViewer.com free for personal, "may" require broadband). If a CDROM is available, you might try burning the files onto a CD.

Walmart has an Acer brand (been around since before Dell and Gateway) mini-laptop with XP on board, 1GB RAM, 120GB drive, etc., for $348. The keyboard is slightly smaller than many, but very usable (I just bought one for a special purpose), and if you really need a bigger one, you can use a USB keyboard such as a flexible roll-up keyboard or other. The screen is smaller than typical, but again very usable, especially if you don't plan to use it for all your work (and when using it more intensely, you can add a monitor and use it with both monitors as one...I do that on my main laptop a lot, using a 22" LCD monitor as primary, and the laptop monitor for a few things I don't want in my way but want easily available).

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(MikeZ @ Dec 17 2008, 04:39 PM) View Post
To sum it up, I still am unable to use the RM backup ZIP file to create/restore that file on my laptop....

The file that RootsMagic backup creates is just a .ZIP archive file...
...you should just be able to extract the contents of that .ZIP file into a folder on the Laptop, using any unarchiver program
(they are all .ZIP aware these days)
Then opening it with RootsMagic's <File> menu should be straight-forward!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Dec 17 2008, 05:41 PM) View Post

The file that RootsMagic backup creates is just a .ZIP archive file...
...you should just be able to extract the contents of that .ZIP file into a folder on the Laptop, using any unarchiver program (they are all .ZIP aware these days) Then opening it with RootsMagic's <File> menu should be straight-forward!
Yes, that worked with the original backup file. I don't know why I did not think of that myself... blink.gif

But thank you for the "gentle push" smile.gif

Once I get the entire DB & media files setep I'll try to run a backup & restore to see if the problem still exists...

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Doug Couch @ Dec 17 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post

2. Manually copy ALL the files with the same filename as the .rmg file to a disk or flash drive (whichever works), and paste them into a folder on the Win95 machine (doesn't matter what the folder is called). Then attempt to Open that database from the Open dialog on the Win95 machine. NOTE: Manual copies of regular files works better than using multiple conversions used by backup-restore and export GEDCOM-import GEDCOM.
[...]

Flash drive transfer would not be an option. As I recall, the first support for USB devices was on Windows 98 2nd Edition.

Another suggestion for MikeZ is to create a new empty database on the laptop. Then enter a few individuals, parents, and children to see if it works. MikeZ, do you have any small databases on your main system? If so, open the small database, do a backup, and then try the restoration on the Windows 95 laptop.

For what it is worth, my old Windows 95 486/66 system with 24MB of RAM will not even install RootsMagic. And I do not remember whether that was version 1, 2, or 3.

#9 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Files copied to a CD-R have the file attribute set to read only.

I do not want to waste a blank CD just to test it, but I suspect that a file-by-file copy of all of the 33 files in a RootsMagic database to a CD-R would give problems. Once they were copied to a R/W drive on another system, the file attributes would have to have the read only bit cleared for each file.

However, the RootsMagic backup files copied to a CD-R definitely work with the RootsMagic restoration routine on any other system I have tried. And you can restore directly from the CD-R. It is not necessary to clear the read only attribute.

#10 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Dec 17 2008, 08:04 PM) View Post

Files copied to a CD-R have the file attribute set to read only.
That was the key (and the problem).

After setting-up the laptop DB, I tried a backup to overwrite the ZIP file I had copied to a CD (along with the other datafiles) for transfer to the laptop. The new backup would not overwrite the existing copy. I then created a new DB backup on the laptop to a new ZIP file - no problems.

I checked the file attributes and sure enough the original files I burned to the CD for data transfer were all read-only. Clearing that attribute eliminated the problem. Ahh the things one forgets when not used for a while... wink.gif

Thanks guys...!