6 replies to this topic

#1 suemax

suemax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

I have a situation where a mother died after birth of TB, and she wished for her son to go the the sister and husband of her husband. These people adopted him and changed his name completely- nothing similar at all. I cannot figure out how to put in two names for one person. He even, when older, changed his middle name.

Also I wonder why some people do not show up on my person list. One that does not show up is the wife I just talked about. I have to go to her husband to find her. She is not listed at all. Sue dry.gif

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(suemax @ Dec 2 2008, 05:35 PM) View Post

I have a situation where a mother died after birth of TB, and she wished for her son to go the the sister and husband of her husband. These people adopted him and changed his name completely- nothing similar at all. I cannot figure out how to put in two names for one person. He even, when older, changed his middle name.
Choose the name which will yield the most documentational support. Add as many Alternate name facts as will match other name variants. Also document the adoption with appropriate fact type and use the fact notes of BOTH those facts AND the general notes to create the narrative "flow" that you desire for the various report options.

QUOTE(suemax @ Dec 2 2008, 05:35 PM) View Post

Also I wonder why some people do not show up on my person list. One that does not show up is the wife I just talked about. I have to go to her husband to find her. She is not listed at all. Sue dry.gif
This is not possible if her details AND a marriage fact have been entered into the database. While in RootsMagic Explorer (Search->Person list) if you have the husband highlighted, the Family Pane on the lower right should show:

+ - par - Parents of Husband
+ - sp - Spouse Name

(NOTE: Clicking the "plus" signs above will drop down and show siblings under Parents and children under Spouse)

One can, however, Add only one parent to a child and the other parent will be indicated by an empty field on the Individual, Family and Descendant screens AND be shown as <Unknown> in that Family Pane.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(suemax @ Dec 2 2008, 02:35 PM) View Post

I suggest, rather than pick an arbitrary documentation-supported choice for a person's name (which may change with additional documentation), that you use a standard. Some people use name at birth if known (i.e.-"given name"...as evidenced by the common name for that field), while some use name at death (which is more dependent upon the recollection of the informant than any records). I suggest using birth name...for that is who the person is by name, from the beginning. It is only later that a name is changed, and in some cases, names were changed often, not just once (such as in native Americans changing their name for various reasons, including just to survive). These additional names are confusing, to say the least, but if all are related to one, it should be the first one...not one picked from a list.

As to adoption, show two sets of parents for the same person, and they will show up under both sets of parents. As to a different name post adoption, that is still a name change, and not the original birth name. So, the person would show up in both family groups as the same person, which keeps it clear that they are indeed the same person...and the alternate name facts with notes for each, would clarify any relationships and changes as could be documented. My mother changed her middle name arbitrarily...because she liked the other name better...and used it for life, and yet with no documentation of change, just its use on Soc Sec and all other documents she filled out info for herself. She also got her own birth year incorrect. One of my mother-in-laws changed both her first and middle names, and her husband's father changed his surname by adoption...so it can get quite complex. Add in some multiple relationships where one's mother is also their cousin, etc., and you see what I mean. So...best to have a specific, unchanging standard for all people in the database.

QUOTE(suemax @ Dec 2 2008, 02:35 PM) View Post

About a name missing on the list. Be sure to check for extraneous spaces, etc., which might cause the name to sort differently, even though showing up in the family relationship view. You might even do this: Copy all information for the person beforehand, then delete the person from the database, then reenter them, and relink them to spouses and children.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Doug Couch @ Dec 2 2008, 07:57 PM) View Post

About a name missing on the list. Be sure to check for extraneous spaces, etc., which might cause the name to sort differently, even though showing up in the family relationship view.
Hopefully the orignal poster is making use of RECORD NUMBERs and can write down the number that spouse has( it immediately follows all Surnames in most screens and reports). Then, one can always go to that Record Number using <REC #> button in RootsMagic Explorer and confirm data already entered (edit) OR reenter (retype) all fields.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

I am one of the many people that have changed their name. I had a first name at birth which was never used. So originally in RM, I had my original name added to RM. Later I removed my first name and my second name became my first name. I used the Alt name in the fact list to document the name change.

Legally the US government says all first names are your legal name.
It was mad.gif a nuisance fighting with your employer who insisted that you be called by a name that you did use. Or use AKA to sign your name on all legal documents.

I do not remember if I added the Alt name fact to the list or it is part of the fact list. It was easy to add, and helped to keep track. Each fact type that I have added has the description field added also.

Nieces and Nephews that have been adopted into this family, I used the fact type Adoption for documenting the name change and adoption.

Definitely check your spellings and spaces, like was suggested.

Each of us have our own way of handling name changes. Mine is just one suggestion. smile.gif
Nettie

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 suemax

suemax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Dec 2 2008, 04:52 PM) View Post

Choose the name which will yield the most documentational support. Add as many Alternate name facts as will match other name variants. Also document the adoption with appropriate fact type and use the fact notes of BOTH those facts AND the general notes to create the narrative "flow" that you desire for the various report options.

This is not possible if her details AND a marriage fact have been entered into the database. While in RootsMagic Explorer (Search->Person list) if you have the husband highlighted, the Family Pane on the lower right should show:

+ - par - Parents of Husband
+ - sp - Spouse Name

(NOTE: Clicking the "plus" signs above will drop down and show siblings under Parents and children under Spouse)

One can, however, Add only one parent to a child and the other parent will be indicated by an empty field on the Individual, Family and Descendant screens AND be shown as <Unknown> in that Family Pane.

#7 suemax

suemax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Somehow that got onto the site before i made a reply. Well, I discovered her name is on the name list- it is just that in this family there are so many same names, similar names combined differently, that I got her mixed up with another person. Lots of Mary's, Peter Phillip, Phillip Peter, John Adam, William R and William V etc etc etc. German mixed up names. So while she is there, but I think I have run into this problem before.

As to the adoption- it is an odd situation. I actually know all about this entire Scherrer family, once they are here from Germany. I have them from 1847- 1930 and a few marriages after 1930. But I happened upon the daughter and son of this man whose name was changed and they explained the entire situation to me- he was 8 months old when adopted. The son has the papers, so I am waiting for him to answer an email.

Since I am LDS, it presents an odd situation about doing ordinances- but I found out how to do it.

In order to simplify things I simply put both of his names together, with two parents and a note about the name change. Probably not kosher but it seemed the easiest way to do it. And easy is best for me. Not too technical. laugh.gif

I cracked their brickwall, as they knew nothing about the Scherrer family, and so now I would love someone to crack one of mine so easily! Sue rolleyes.gif