• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 East Angle

East Angle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

I have cousins who are twins. One is married and one is unmarried. In the narrative report function narrative details of the unmarried one appear (in my case) in the 6th generation and of the married one in the 7th generation! I gather this separation is done by program with different treatment for married and unmarried twins, triplets etc. Skeleton details of the latter i.e. birth and marriage do, however, still appear in the 6th generation. If it is not too late and assuming this has not already been addressed, is it still possible please to bring the narrative details together in one generation by making a swap with the 'skeleton' details? This seeming separation does not seem logical and is rather embarrassing especially when one is dealing with relatives still living!!

East Angle

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

I have the problem described in this wish list item every October when I prepare a report for a family reunion for the descendants of my mother's paternal grandfather. This particular problem is a specific example of a more general problem in narrative reports. Namely, the outline formats do not keep a family together, and the register formats can produce very unattractive and illogical text when some siblings married and some did not. This is especially true when there are unmarried siblings for whom there is a lot of data. I have gone to such extremes as putting in dummy spouses for people, running the report to an RTF file, and then editing the RTF file to remove the dummy spouses, all just to keep the siblings in the same generation of the report. However, it's tricky because you don't necessarily want to push every unmarried sibling of every family into a new generation in this manner. For example, suppose you have siblings born in 2001, 2003, and 2007, and suppose basically the only data you have for them is their names and birth dates. The way such a family currently appears in a register type report is just fine. The problem really only appears for adult siblings, some of whom married and some of whom did not.

Numerous requests for improvements to narrative reports have appeared in the wish list, including improvements for this particular problem. Indications from the blogs about RM4 indicate that this particular problem will not be addressed in RM4, or at least not in RM 4.0. We can only hope for some improvements in RM 4.1 or 4.2, etc. I am personally supportive Bruce's efforts to get RM4 out the door as soon as possible with the hope of further improvements on down the road. If we have to wait for all requested improvements, RM4 will never get out the door.