• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PerL47

PerL47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know if there's a setting to see the most recent changes/additions to the program?

I take my laptop when I go to libraries, etc. and would like to enter the data directly into my database but I use my PC when I'm at home. I'd like to be able to find the new stuff I added or changed and just bring that over to my PC. (I realize I can export and import the gedcom file but I've ended up with duplicate people and have lost photos that way).

Thanks for any advice on this.

JO

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

There is a selection on the Find and Select by data fields where you can select individuals by "Date last edited"

This date last edited can be deceiving: if you double click on a person then leave the edit person window via the OK button without changing anything the "Date last edited" will be updated.

So, you can export a GEDCOM file of selected people using Date last edited to select only those which have been edited or added since the date you choose.

Pictures will not go with a GEDCOM file. their links will, but you have to copy any new pictures separately.

If you import that partial GEDCOM file, the photo links will go along, the photos will not be found. BUT, if you import this GEDCOM file into a new, temporary database and get a listing of Multimedia files, you will know which pictures you have to copy from one computer to the other.
(If the storage locations are identical on both computers, it is easiest, but the global search and replace can fix it up if they aren't.)

=======added========
There is a little glitch in selecting by date last edited.
If you edit a person's family facts, it changes his spouses facts too, but the spouses date last edited does not get updated.
SO, when exporting people by date last edited, the spouse will not get selected, and since both spouses aren't exported to the GEDCOM file, no family facts will be exported, so NO updated family facts get transferred.
Alfred

#3 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

IF your database on the laptop has changed...AND IF your database on your PC has not changed since you left it (i.e.-there is not someone else editing it while you're away)...then you can simply copy-paste the entire RM database files set. To do that...

AND BELIEVE ME, THIS IS FAR FAR BETTER THAN EXPORTING/IMPORTING GEDCOM FILES!!! (Just takes a little preparation to save yourself countless GEDCOM-generated miseries.)

1. Locate your RootsMagic files and the folder containing your (PC main) database.
===a. on your laptop
===b. on your PC

2. On your PC, make an empty backup folder, naming it the name of the database + BK

3. On your PC, enter the folder where your (PC main) database resides. [Note: If you have more than one database in the same folder, be sure to copy only the files with the name of your PC main database.] Copy all the files (of your PC main database).

4. On your PC, enter the new folder (with suffix BK), and paste the database files into there (as PC main BK). This will allow you to have a backup in case you think one thing and do another. This database copy should be exactly the same as your PC main (before the following laptop-related procedure).

5. On your laptop, enter the folder where your (laptop main) database resides. [Note: If you have more than one database in the same folder, be sure to copy only the files with the name of your laptop main database.] Copy all the files (of your laptop main database).

6. Through whatever means of transfer you are using...
===a. On your PC, enter the folder where your (PC main) database resides.
===b. On your PC, paste the files (copied from your laptop) into your PC main database folder, overwriting the files there (ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE MADE A COPY AS GIVEN ABOVE...THE BACKUP COPY SHOULD BE A "REGULAR COPY" RATHER THAN A "BACKUP").
Note: If the method of files transfer from laptop to PC does not allow copy-paste per se, then select the files of the laptop main database, and transfer them to the PC main database folder, overwriting those files (after backup copy is made).

This will work easily, accurately, without any need created to merge or worry about what data went where. Exporting and importing GEDCOM files is a risky business at best, and when it includes ANY type of merging requirements to get it all together as you wish, using this simple copy-paste method will bypass all that nonsense, and update your PC's database to match your updated laptop's database. If you're using GEDCOM import/export, you're begging for headaches. This will not give you a headache if followed as given. Once you know where your files are located, it's a breeze.

Final notes: If you happen to have more than one database in the same folder, take the time to create separate folders for each database, and move the files for each one to its own folder. The only time you would not want to do this, is if you have two or more databases that you use constantly, and would be likely to want to update more than one of them when you're out and about with your laptop. In that case, you can leave them in one folder, and when you do the above copy-paste procedure, just copy-paste them all at the same time, to assure that all of them are updated together. Since the copy-paste is a short process, it shouldn't make any difference.

REVERSE THIS PROCEDURE TO UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP TO MATCH YOUR PC IF MODIFYING THE PC COPY BEFORE USING THE LAPTOP AGAIN. KEEPING A LOG OF WHEN YOU EDIT PC, AND WHEN YOU EDIT LAPTOP WILL HELP YOU TO NOT LOSE DATA.

#4 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Additional notes regarding copy-paste of RM database files:

If your PC and laptop are both on a network for transfer, you can use Copy Database... in either direction rather than the manual process above...and definitely rather than GEDCOM export/import.

=====COOL STUFF BELOW
Also, using remote access, if your location where you are working with your laptop has a broadband hotspot or networked Internet plug-in port, and you are able to access the Internet on your laptop, you can actually open the RM database on your home PC and edit it directly instead of going back and forth between laptop and PC versions. Then you're doing your database editing on your laptop, but the changes are actually occurring on your PC (only).

A free remote access software (with free account) may be found at LOGMEIN.COM. I have used it for quite some time without problems. I use it to help senior neighbors to whom I've provided a recycled computer (which I get free), by working with them as they learn the computer. If you sign-up only for the free version, it is free. Drag-drop and other features disappear after the 30-day trial, but remote access remains, does not time out, does not bludgeon you with ads, and most importantly, allows you to remotely access your PC at home without someone on the other end approving that access. Takes a little practice, but then is (after login) very stable and as easy as using your home PC (although a little slower). They even have a mobile unit software download for accessing your account by PC phone (I have done this using a tilt-phone with Windows Mobile). You would not want to run RM and try to operate it by PC phone (as that would drive you crazy), but you do have that capability to check on anything on your home computer even when your laptop is not available. Even though drag-drop is not available on the free version after trial, I have pulled up my PC from afar, found the file I needed, attached it to an email and emailed it to myself at the remote location. Say, uh, you forgot to update your RM database before leaving on a 100-mile journey?

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

If all you intend to do is keep both copies (PC and Laptop) in synch...

-When you do changes on PC...BACKUP when finished and RESTORE to Laptop... BEFORE commencing any work there. PHOTOS will have to be copied manually.
-When you do changes on Laptop...BACKUP when finished and RESTORE to PC... BEFORE commencing any work there. PHOTOS will have to be copied manually.

Just do that consistently and everytime and you should have no problems.

Cheers
kbens0n

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

I use a syncing program to sync every thing including multimedia files between my desktop computer and an external hard drive that I can easily carry with me. It will also work between multiple computers, over a network and over the Internet (I have not tried the latter two). It might be worth a try. If you wish I'll point you to their website.

------------------------------------

This will take you to a related discussion: http://www.rootsmagi...amp;hl=GoodSync
JohnG

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

Some others not mentioned in that other thread (Click to view):

ViceVersa FREE

File Synchronizer

SyncEXP

TreeComp 3.x

Toucan

OR maybe via ONLINE (there are many similar ones popping up) :
Syncplicity
Keep your files up to date across all your computers
Change a file on your laptop, find it on your desktop in seconds
Sync your computers even when some are turned off or offline
2GB and 2 computers for FREE

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

I think your best bet is to carry a USB "memory stick" with you. I do exactly what you are doing and I do it this way. Before I go away from home (like to the genealogy library) I backup my database at the Home PC. Then I copy the backup to my "stick". I go to the laptop, copy the backup to my backup folder in the laptop, restore the database. then, I go off and add data. When I'm done, I backup, copy to "stick" take it to PC, copy from stick to backup subdirectory in PC, restore.

Then, I have sub folders of my RootsMagic folder for RootsPix, original documents, obits, etc. I went to Microsoft's web site and downloaded a free SyncToy program which allows me to synchronize subdirectories between two computers. I use this to sync the subdirectories of Rootsmagic. I suppose I could use it to sync RM too but I don't. This program even knows if I have renamed a file and renames it in the other computer. I sync over a wireless network in the house but I could do it with a direct connection as well.

I also have an external hard drive at home where I keep all my backups for the past two years. Lord forbid I ever have to use them that far back. Also, at least once a week, do a complete GedCom export, even if you don't use it. The GedCom export will tell you if you have a corrupted table in your data. Otherwise, you back up corrupted data over good data and lose the good.
JIM.B.NH

#9 Doug Couch

Doug Couch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Dec 2 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post

I copy the backup to my "stick".

Sounds like a good procedure overall, and has the advantage of syncing. I have always preferred the copy-paste of ready to use files, eliminating one level (times 2) of converting/translating document formats, and thus one level (times 2) of potential error-generation. Using the backup file instead is particularly handy though, since it is not a handful of files, which for some reason RM creators decided to maintain as separate files. For myself personally, I just do most all my work at home anyway.