12 replies to this topic

#1 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

I recently moved from FTM to RM. Of course, there has been a lot of cleaning up. Some is due to changing the program, but I suspect many are errors that I made when I entered the data. I just completed cleaning up the Place list. It is amazing how many different ways I typed in O'Neill, Holt County, Nebraska.

Anyway I have several issues. The format for graduation facts and marriage facts only have a place entry. I want to include the school, university etc when I include graduation, but the only place to enter it is the place. The same is true for marriage fact. There is no place for the church or other location for the marrage. I suppose I could put them in a note, but I would prefer that generally they be listed with the fact.

The second issue is that I have two dates listed as places. Obviously I entered the wrong information in the place space. Is there an easy way to find the person where the error was made?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Fran

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 13 2008, 11:32 PM) View Post
Anyway I have several issues. The format for graduation facts and marriage facts only have a place entry. I want to include the school, university etc when I include graduation, but the only place to enter it is the place. The same is true for marriage fact. There is no place for the church or other location for the marrage. I suppose I could put them in a note, but I would prefer that generally they be listed with the fact.
Sounds like you want to create a custom fact of your own and enable inclusion of a <description> field:

Lists->Fact type list->Design new fact type

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 13 2008, 11:32 PM) View Post
The second issue is that I have two dates listed as places. Obviously I entered the wrong information in the place space. Is there an easy way to find the person where the error was made?
While you are in the Place list and have the "date" highighted...
1. Press the <Print> button
2. Choose <Print all events in a single place>
3. Make sure <Print to Screen/Printer> is selected
4. Click <Create> button

The events and parties involved will be shown (note: Record number should immediately follow Surnames)
The screen report can be printed or copied to clipboard from here.
(or you can redo the sequence and change <Screen/Printer> to some file format for saving to hard drive)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 13 2008, 08:32 PM) View Post

I recently moved from FTM to RM. Of course, there has been a lot of cleaning up. Some is due to changing the program, but I suspect many are errors that I made when I entered the data. I just completed cleaning up the Place list. It is amazing how many different ways I typed in O'Neill, Holt County, Nebraska.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Fran

Your second issue is also easy to handle.

Go to Reports - Lists - Place List then select a place you'd like to investigate. What you'll get is a list of all people and events connected to that place. I send those reports to a text file in a Temp folder, so I can have the list open while continuing to work in RM. Makes it easy to track down and correct the entry error you described - and "hoo-boy" have I made some wacky mistakes over the years that needed to be tracked down and fixed....

#4 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 13 2008, 10:32 PM) View Post

One of the enhancements coming in RM4 is "Place Details", that was addressed in Bruce's blog. Of course that does not help today.

<http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=17>

I usually enter the church, university, etc. in the place field followed by " - " and then place information. Obviously, this does expand the size of the place list. I'm anxiously awaiting RM4 so I can clean this up.
JohnG

#5 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Thank you both. Your suggestions were great. I wish there was an option for a description for all facts, then one could decide to use or not use. I still have not decided what to do about cemeteries. Weddings, I added a note and for graduation I made a new one with a description for high school and for college I added a fact called degree. Is my family the only one that is big on Graduation and degrees?

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 14 2008, 10:16 AM) View Post

T for graduation I made a new one with a description for high school and for college I added a fact called degree. Is my family the only one that is big on Graduation and degrees?

No you are not alone. My Dad's family my brother and I are the only two who have a higher education degree besides Dad. I have added a fact called Graduated and also one called Education. Have the description line activated, as then I can put in the school information. I started with Education and then realized it would not fit what I was trying to do. I have added a lot of fact types. smile.gif

Weddings I use the marriage fact, not the license or bond. Don't remember if I added the license or bond as facts.

Cemeteries could be another fact type. I use the Place, with - in front of the cemetery name, this was a suggestion on the FO mail list many years ago.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Nettie @ Oct 14 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post

Cemeteries could be another fact type. I use the Place, with - in front of the cemetery name, this was a suggestion on the FO mail list many years ago.

Thanks for this and other ideas. I am still unhappy with the way RM does the narrative reports. I liked FTM which just simply lists the facts. and then puts notes in a narrative form as written. Makes for a less dense narrative. I love the narrative because it adds to the full picture of the individual and makes the facts from Census come to life.

Fran

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Fran,

Besides changes to place details, the blog previously mentioned also discusses changes to sentence wording (including more customization) upcoming in RM v4.0. If you haven't already, you might be interested in taking a look:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=62

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Fran

You can put the notes into the person's General note instead of the fact notes, and , in a Narrative report, the facts will print first and then the general note will print .

It pretty much depends on how a person is used to the report printing out, I think. I prefer to have the fact notes with each fact and use the General note for more general comments.

Laura

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

I don't know how FTM does narrative reports, but RootsMagic is surely different.

RootsMagic uses three kinds of notes.
Personal, General notes, (the tab at the top of the edit person dialog window.) This note, as typed, follows the listing all of the personal facts. (you could put your place details in here if you wanted to, Then put all of your text in the general note.)
Fact notes,(An icon in the column at the right of each fact.) each fact note follows directly after the fact.
Family, General notes, (The tab at the top of the edit family dialog window.) This note follows after thee family facts are listed.

Alfred

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(franjane @ Oct 14 2008, 08:16 AM) View Post

I still have not decided what to do about cemeteries.

If you use the name of the cemetery as part of the place name, you can use the "print all events in a single place" under "print" in the "Place List" to obtain a list of all people buried in that cemetery. The same is true for everyone married in a church, born in a hospital, graduated from a university.

The option of printing all places in reverse order is one of the best ways to locate duplication and spelling mistakes of places with slight differences.

#12 AusTx

AusTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 14 2008, 06:50 AM) View Post

One of the enhancements coming in RM4 is "Place Details", that was addressed in Bruce's blog. Of course that does not help today.

<http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=17>

I usually enter the church, university, etc. in the place field followed by " - " and then place information. Obviously, this does expand the size of the place list. I'm anxiously awaiting RM4 so I can clean this up.

We each need to do what works best for each of us individually but I thought I would jump in on this one... I put place first then the - to indicate the school... or a hosptial for birth... or a cemetery for a burial..e.g. Joliet, Will Co., Illinois - Silver Cross Hospital then everything still groups together on the place list and the quick fill will still work for all location at a specific place

Thx to kbens0n for the recomendation for cleaning up dates on the place list... with 25K+ individuals in my database I have managed to create a few of those as well! blink.gif

#13 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(AusTx @ Oct 15 2008, 08:19 PM) View Post

We each need to do what works best for each of us individually but I thought I would jump in on this one... I put place first then the - to indicate the school... or a hosptial for birth... or a cemetery for a burial..e.g. Joliet, Will Co., Illinois - Silver Cross Hospital then everything still groups together on the place list and the quick fill will still work for all location at a specific place

Thx to kbens0n for the recomendation for cleaning up dates on the place list... with 25K+ individuals in my database I have managed to create a few of those as well! blink.gif

Thank you! The more I think about your suggestion, that would work for Graduations too. Often families tend to have the same high schools and cemeteries so the number of permutations would probably be limited. I think I will wait until RM for before I do any more major changes. Hopefully there will some easy ways to do mass changes.

Fran