• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

I have a question about RM v 3. This has not been a problem for me in the past, but now I'm stumped and would like some help. When I highlight a family member and click on reports and then click family group sheets I would like to include on the report ALL family members (children, grand children and great grand, etc.). Now when I click as above I only get their children. How do you have the entire line to show up on the report? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Joe

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

The Family Group Sheet reports on one family at a time.
Father, Mother and their children.
Each married child will require his own family group sheet.

The Family Group sheet creation lets you pick multiple families to do sheets on. (it doesn't seem to be available in the publisher though)
Choose an ancestor, his descendants and the number of generations. You will get a family group sheet for each family in the selected group.
Alfred

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 1 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

The Family Group sheet creation lets you pick multiple families to do sheets on. (it doesn't seem to be available in the publisher though)

I asked Bruce about this during his presentation at the Hayes Presidential Library in Fremont, OH, last April. There is some complicated programming difficulty in implementing this feature.

It would be nice to be able to create multiple Family Group Sheets as a chapter in the publisher. It would also be nice to have all names in the index, and/or to have them in alphabtic order within the chapter.

#4 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Oct 1 2008, 07:00 PM) View Post

I asked Bruce about this during his presentation at the Hayes Presidential Library in Fremont, OH, last April. There is some complicated programming difficulty in implementing this feature.

It would be nice to be able to create multiple Family Group Sheets as a chapter in the publisher. It would also be nice to have all names in the index, and/or to have them in alphabtic order within the chapter.

Thanks guys. I have been trying to figure it out by changing different settings in the report area. Good to know that it is in the programing and not ME (which it usually is--lol). Maybe it can be corrected in v4, when it ever comes out--lol. Joe

#5 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

When selecting a person and his/her descendants to produce multiple family group sheets in .txt format, it sure would be nice to either (a) have a gap between families or (cool.gif have each family group sheet on a separate page.

I don't know why my (cool.gif comes out as a smiley face, I didn't do that!!
JIM.B.NH

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

A txt file is text only. There is no page break in a txt file.
I tried adding page breaks in Word, then saved it again as a text file (I got a warning that some things wouldn't be saved in a TXT file). Upon reopening that altered text file, the page breaks that I had added are only paragraph breaks.
Alfred

#7 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Oct 2 2008, 07:43 AM) View Post

I don't know why my (cool.gif comes out as a smiley face, I didn't do that!!

Smilies are composed of simple text characters, which some display widgets then render as a small graphic. For example, ":" followed by ")" yields smile.gif while "b" followed by ")" yields cool.gif .

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 2 2008, 10:04 AM) View Post

A txt file is text only. There is no page break in a txt file.
I tried adding page breaks in Word, then saved it again as a text file (I got a warning that some things wouldn't be saved in a TXT file). Upon reopening that altered text file, the page breaks that I had added are only paragraph breaks.

Not necessarily... most printers and editors interpret the "Form Feed" character (ASCII decimal 12, or Octal 14 or Hex "C" ) as a page break. Interpretations of non-printing ASCII characters are, of course, up to the individual program that is processing such text, but this is sufficiently standard that I think it would be safe to use most anywhere. I'm not certain why Word is doing the craziness that you describe when going from internal format to text and then back again. Word just does lots of very strange things.