• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mavros

Mavros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

MY HD failed and I had to get another,once I installed Rootsmagic I tried to restore my data from an external drive, I got everything but the photos. If I go to the backup copy I can see the photos, any way of getting them into the new database?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

You can see the photos? OR, do you just see the names of the photo files?

If you only see the names in RootsMagic, and you didn't specifically copy those photo files to a removable drive, then about the only way to recover them is to have someone salvage those files from the old hard drive. (That CAN be expensive.)

If you can actually see the photos, then you can probably copy them to your new hard drive and do a search and replace of the multimedia file path name to get them relinked into RootsMagic.
Alfred

#3 Mavros

Mavros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 25 2008, 06:49 PM) View Post

You can see the photos? OR, do you just see the names of the photo files?

If you only see the names in RootsMagic, and you didn't specifically copy those photo files to a removable drive, then about the only way to recover them is to have someone salvage those files from the old hard drive. (That CAN be expensive.)

If you can actually see the photos, then you can probably copy them to your new hard drive and do a search and replace of the multimedia file path name to get them relinked into RootsMagic.

I can see the pictues,however I am kind of knew to this, can you be little more specific as to how to perform the above procedure? tx

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

I am not sure I understand where or how you see those pictures.

Your hard drive died.
You installed a new hard drive
You installed the RootsMagic program.

You RESTORED? the backup from a removable drive?
OR did you, as it sounds, copy the database from the removable drive?

Then you get a bunch of "Photo not found" notices in the "restored" database.
BUT, if you open the database on the removable drive you see the pictures when you click the multimedia tab.

If that is all correct: Did you create a sharable CD and use it for backup?

---- I am still guessing that you have answered yes to all of these questions and statements.

=========== Addendum ==========

I was going to mention leaving the photos on the rremovable drive if you didn't mind keeping it in the drive all of the time you are using RootsMagic, but I got ahead of myself and forgot it.

Have you set up your Options - Folders?
It is a good idea to have a Folder, or drawer, for each type of files.

Using Windows Explorer, Copy the contents of the Pictures Folder on the removable drive to the folder you designated for multimedia.

Open your hard drive database and go to a multimedia tab click the PROPERTIES menu for a photo you should recognize.

Carefully, write down the contents of the "Filename field" (the path and filename RootsMagic has recorded for that photo.)
Now, cick the browse button and Find where it is on your hard drive.(It should be in your multimedia folder, or wherever you copied the contents of the Pictures folder.)
Click Open when you see the picture, Copy down it's location and filename below the earlier one.
Click Ok to put it where it belongs.

Get out of the Multimedia and edit person windows.

Compare those two filenames from the right, cross out what is identical to the slash, leaving only the two locations, not the filename itself.

Back in the RootsMagic main view, click on Search, choose "Search and Replace"
Search in: Multimedia filenames
Search for: the top PATH (where RootsMagic is looking)
Replace with: The bottom PATH (Where the photo files have been copied to)
Replace all

That should do it unless I am on the wrong path.
Alfred

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

If you "see" those photos because they are all in a folder on your EXTERNAL drive AND they WERE THERE before the crash AND you would like to KEEP them THERE...then just goto

Tools->Options->Folders->Multimedia

and enter the full path:

driveletter:\path\to\new\folder\of\pictures (just a "figurative" example)

YOU'RE DONE

-OR-

If you wish to RESTORE those multimedia items onto your NEW system's hard drive AND tell RootsMagic WHERE TO LOOK for them...then do as Alfred suggested:

1. Copy them (photos, etc.) to your new hard drive (into a folder of your choosing)
2. Save to text file -or- Print the Multimedia List in order to reference the path(s) that need changing.

Reports -> Lists -> Multimedia List

3. Use SEARCH-> SEARCH AND REPLACE to:

Search in -> MULTIMEDIA FILENAMES
Search for -> driveletter:\path\to\OLD\folder\of\pictures
Replace with -> driveletter:\path\to\NEW\folder\of\pictures

to get them relinked...THEN

4. Tools->Options->Folders->Multimedia

and enter the full path:

driveletter:\path\to\new\folder\of\pictures (just a "figurative" example)

to set the folder as your default folder for storing multimedia...going forward.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N