Has a release date been set for RM4?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

The most recent statement was that it would be released before the end of the year:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=57

#3 East Angle

East Angle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:23 AM

I am pleased to hear that RM4 is imminent. I would, however, welcome reassurance that any information already written in RM3 will be automatically transferred to RM4 on installation. I do NOT wish to have to re-input my information all over again particularly as it is now virtually as complete as it is likely to be! Since it is virtually complete will it still be possible to finish off in RM3 or will RM3 be withdrawn and, if so, when?

[size=3]East Angle[size=3]

#4 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

RootsMagic 4 will be able to completely import all your RootsMagic 3 information. We will continue to support previous versions of RootsMagic just as we always have.
RootsMagician

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

I can't even imagine having a database even near complete! biggrin.gif

Laura

#6 richtson

richtson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I can't even imagine having a database even near complete!
Laura

Me also! That would mean U R back, to Adam! It is possable! How did you get back there?
--------------Gene Adams------

#7 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

There ARE different definitions of complete. Adam has nothing to do with my database reaching completion. To me completion means as soon as I track down all known descendants of the ancestor that arrived in America...and since they all arrived between 1650 and 1820 I think this is still a large undertaking.

Some people work on area genealogies and once they get through their area, they can consider it complete at that time....I am sure there are many other examples that people can come up with since noone, and I mean noone is going to be able to produce any legit documentation that they went back much before 1000AD let alone to Adam.

QUOTE(richtson @ Oct 9 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

I can't even imagine having a database even near complete!
Laura

Me also! That would mean U R back, to Adam! It is possable! How did you get back there?
--------------Gene Adams------

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

I'm not back to Adam or even close.

I have a few lines that are back to the early 1700's in the US with as good a proof as I can find considering the numbers of courthouses and other records that were destroyed.

I'm still trying to get others back that far. Like most, I have a few brick walls I can't get over. smile.gif

Laura

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Oct 9 2008, 10:10 PM) View Post
Like most, I have a few brick walls I can't get over. smile.gif Laura
Hi, Laura
Just curious as to how close to your generation is your closest brick wall?
I've gotten as far back as:
4 grandparents > 100%
8 greats (1 unknown maiden name) > 87.5% (excluding [Unk Maiden Name)
11 2nd greats (1 UMN > 62.5%
8 3rd greats (2 UMN 's)
I was pretty good at math in junior high rolleyes.gif
Cheers, Glenn

p.s. I would have counted further back, but the pedigree view only allows six generations -- Lucky you! biggrin.gif

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#10 AusTx

AusTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Oct 10 2008, 12:18 PM) View Post

Hi, Laura
Just curious as to how close to your generation is your closest brick wall?
I've gotten as far back as:
4 grandparents > 100%
8 greats (1 unknown maiden name) > 87.5% (excluding [Unk Maiden Name)
11 2nd greats (1 UMN > 62.5%
8 3rd greats (2 UMN 's)
I was pretty good at math in junior high rolleyes.gif
Cheers, Glenn

p.s. I would have counted further back, but the pedigree view only allows six generations -- Lucky you! biggrin.gif

(1) Is there an hope that before the end of the year means before Thanksgiving so that we can share it with family over the holidays??

(2) I have used Roots Magic since version 1.0 and I used its predecessor Family Origins back when it only availbe in DOS and followed it thru many many upgrades in Windows. Every upgrade has ALWAYS built upon the earlier version without the need to re-enter any portion of the old database so do not fear the coming of RM4 ..... of course if you have been following the blog you may want to "re-work" some portions of your database because of all the new bells, features and fabulous new additions!

(3) Glenn, if its any motivation to keep plugging away... I've been at this for 30+ years and I have all 16 2nd greats, 30 3rd greats, 44 4th greats...most of the "road blocks" will require research on the other side of the big pond!