• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OcoeeBill

OcoeeBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:22 AM

[indent=1]I had to purchase a new scanner which I have installed. Now my Roots 3 program will not recognize the scanner. It gives me the message "scanner not found" Or sometimes it states unable to access the hadware.
The scanner is fully functional and works. So, I need to know how to make Roots 3 recognize and use the new scanner. It wants the old scanner even though it was uninstalled and is no longer attached.

Help! sad.gif

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:46 AM

You have to tell the computer which is your TWAIN device.

One of the easiest ways to do that, in my opinion, is to download IrfanView and let it set the default TWAIN SOURCE device for you by going to it's file menu and selecting that option.

Go to:
http://www.irfanview.com/
and download this little free graphics utility.
It can do so much more and it is well worth the time it takes to download.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:49 AM

F.A.Q: Photos and Multimedia
http://www.rootsmagic.com/faq/6.html

5. When I try to scan a picture, it brings up my digital camera or other wrong scanner. How do I make it use the scanner I want? - Top

RootsMagic will use the scanner set up as the Windows default.

You can use a program like IrfanView (downloadable for free at www.irfanview.com) to set the default scanner. Use "File > Select Twain source" from the IrfanView menu to set your default scanner. -

EDIT:
ALFRED was hard at work answering this with flying fingers, while I was gathering the link to the FAQ wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 14 2008, 02:46 AM) View Post

You have to tell the computer which is your TWAIN device.

One of the easiest ways to do that, in my opinion, is to download IrfanView and let it set the default TWAIN SOURCE device for you by going to it's file menu and selecting that option.

Go to:
http://www.irfanview.com/
and download this little free graphics utility.
It can do so much more and it is well worth the time it takes to download.

Alfred can you explain to me what IrfanView has to do with the scanner? I have a very old scanner (1993), and I ony use it outside of RM, so I really don't know how IrfanView relates. One of these days I'll get a newer scanner smile.gif

Thanks.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

IrfanView has nothing to do with RootsMagic or the scanner.
But, RootsMagic uses the Windows designated TWAIN device as it's scanner.
If you only have one picture capture device, Windows designates it as the active TWAIN device.
If you add another device, camera, scanner amd probably video camera, Widows doesn't know which is the DESIGNATED one.

IrfanView is a small program which has a way to set the designated or default TWAIN device.
I am sure there are other ways to do it, but this is a small download and it makes the job simple.
Alfred