• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sallie789

Sallie789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

This is probably a very elementary question but I can't figure out how to get the updated information I've entered from my PC to my laptop, i.e., I entered lots more information, pictures, etc. When I try putting a backup on a CD the laptop won't read it. I tried making a shareable CD and that didn't work either. I finally created a GEDCOM and merged it (and hopefully didn't make too much of a mess in the process) but it didn't transfer the pictures over. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! Julie

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

How are you trying to access the backup on the CD?
Did you try FILE => RESTORE BACKUP ? -- That's the way RootsMagic "Opens" backup files.

The GEDCOM export/import with "Share merge" can be used if both databases came from the same original file. But that process can get to be messy and is only needed if both databases have been "worked on" since the last time they were cloned.

If you only updated the database on your desktop since the last time they were the same, then a backup from the desktop restored on the laptop would be the way to go.
Alfred

#3 Sallie789

Sallie789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

When I try that it says "the backup was not fully restored."

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Then, there is either something wrong with your backup:
-- try doing another backup from the first computer.

or, something wrong with your media:
-- Maybe one computer cannot read the other computer's writing.

OR, the folder you are trying to restore the backup into.
-- When you get to the little Restore backup window, after choosing the backup to restore, click on the browse button for "Folder to restore backup in"
In the large pane of the "Select Folder" window, Right click, select NEW then FOLDER.
You can leave it named "New Folder" or type a new name over it and press the enter key.
While the new folder is still highlighted, click the "Select" button.
Back in the "Restore backup" window, click on "Begin Restore."

Alfred

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

I transfer from my desktop to laptop all the time. I have an external 120 gb scandisk harddrive. Keep my database on that external harddrive and just remove the scandisk from my desktop usb port and plug it into my laptop usb port when I am using the laptop. Best $150.00 I have ever spent. I back up the RM file to both the two external scandisk drives and my desktop. 3 way backup.....These hard drives make transferring easy, they are better than the small small usb 2.0 mini drives. MY RM files are too big for them. Carry the same programs on both desktop and laptop.java script:emoticon rolleyes.gif

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0