• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sallie789

Sallie789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

I don't know what happened but on a lot of my families the same spouse is listed twice and I don't know how to get rid of the duplicate because it doesn't show up in the merge feature. It wouldn't be a problem but when I added children it only added it to one of the couples (even though the names were the same on the other couple). I don't know if my explanation makes sense but I'm confused!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

I think what is happening is something like this:
Sometimes when you import a GEDCOM file and then merge, it will merge one spouse first, showing that he has two spouses, then when the spouse is merged, he is left with two spouses, but they are the same individual.

John Doe really has only one spouse, but he shows two.
Right click on John Doe and choose "View Family"
Check the two spouses listed to make sure they have the same record number.

A. - If the record numbers are the same, double click on (or highlight and choose select) the spouse of the family you would most like to delete. (Sometimes not all children are listed in both families.)
Back in the main screen with that spouse higlighted, right click on her and choose Delete => Family, choose the default option to only unlink the family but leave the people in the database.

B. - If the Record numbers aren't the same, you need to merge the spouses. Highlight one, note the record number of the other, click the select button. Right click on the highlighted spouse, choose merge and select the other like name with the other record number and merge them. (You MAY have to go back and do step A. now)
Alfred

#3 Sallie789

Sallie789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thanks so much Alfred! That solved my problem. I appreciate you taking the time to answer so concisely!

#4 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Feb 12 2008, 11:51 PM) View Post

I think what is happening is something like this:
Sometimes when you import a GEDCOM file and then merge, it will merge one spouse first, showing that he has two spouses, then when the spouse is merged, he is left with two spouses, but they are the same individual.

John Doe really has only one spouse, but he shows two.
Right click on John Doe and choose "View Family"
Check the two spouses listed to make sure they have the same record number.

A. - If the record numbers are the same, double click on (or highlight and choose select) the spouse of the family you would most like to delete. (Sometimes not all children are listed in both families.)
Back in the main screen with that spouse higlighted, right click on her and choose Delete => Family, choose the default option to only unlink the family but leave the people in the database.

B. - If the Record numbers aren't the same, you need to merge the spouses. Highlight one, note the record number of the other, click the select button. Right click on the highlighted spouse, choose merge and select the other like name with the other record number and merge them. (You MAY have to go back and do step A. now)

I also ended up with the same spouse twice because there are two marriage facts. This happened to me whne I migrated to Family Tree when Family Origins went away. Then when Roots Magic came I happily migrated back (from FT), and in the process ended up with two marriage facts. I am slowly deleting the extra marriage fact, and when I do then they are back to one spouse.