7 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferB

JenniferB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Morning all!

I own Family Origins v. 7 and am going to finally do the right thing and buy RootsMagic so I have a supported and up to date program. There appear to be two versions of RootsMagic I could buy, either the full RootsMagic program or the "upgrade" RootsMagic. It is not clear on the order page that the "upgrade" will work if I have Family Origins and want to convert to RootsMagic. Will the upgrade work for me?

Thanks!
Jennifer

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(JenniferB @ Feb 3 2008, 08:15 AM) View Post

Morning all!

I own Family Origins v. 7 and am going to finally do the right thing and buy RootsMagic so I have a supported and up to date program. There appear to be two versions of RootsMagic I could buy, either the full RootsMagic program or the "upgrade" RootsMagic. It is not clear on the order page that the "upgrade" will work if I have Family Origins and want to convert to RootsMagic. Will the upgrade work for me?

Thanks!
Jennifer

The order form page says: "* You must own a previous version of RootsMagic or Family Origins to order upgrade versions."

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

There is no difference in the upgrade and the full program except that the upgrade costs you less.

((My opinion only:
If you already have used Family Origins or an earlier version of RootsMagic, it will cost the company less in support time, as you will already know most of the features.
And, it is their way of saying "Thank You" for sticking with their program.))
Alfred

#4 JenniferB

JenniferB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:48 AM

Excellent! Thanks very much!

Jennifer

#5 Jeff Jahn

Jeff Jahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

One thing you may want to consider before upgrading is that sometime later this year a new verison of rootsmagic is suppose to be released. If you want to be totally up-to-date you may want to wait till then.

#6 Cliff_Wilder

Cliff_Wilder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:34 AM

And, you didn't say what version of windows you're running. I'd figure you're running something other than Vista. But, if if you are running Vista, or plan to ... Alfred has a great post that shows how to make it work correctly.

Alfred ... I don't have the link handy. Care to share or point in the right direction?

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(Cliff_Wilder @ Feb 5 2008, 01:34 AM) View Post

Alfred ... I don't have the link handy. Care to share or point in the right direction?

This one doesn't MENTION Vista, but DOES move the database files OUT of the /Program Files/ area where Vista file "permissions" become a problem:
http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=5156

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Where to install the PROGRAM so that it will play nicely with Vvista is covered in my post at:

http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=5149

and my first post here.

http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=5006
Alfred