Backtracking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alan Jackson_*

Guest_Alan Jackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:41 AM

I host a One Name Study and often need to locate an individual within my 20,500+ database to place within an existing family group. Is there a way of returning to a family grouping on screen, having subsequently selected a peson from the database who doesn't fit? In effect using what in other programs would be the 'Undo' command.

I could I suppose 'bookmark' the family and then recall them but that seems to be a drawn out process and something my current Family Tree program doesn't require.

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:16 AM

Try tools>Back or <ctrl-left arrow>. They work as a back-up.

#3 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

Search>Back or Ctrl-Left Arrow takes you back to the previously selected person.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:02 PM

The <History> and <Bookmarks> are ~HANDY~ toooooo biggrin.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Guest_Hilary_*

Guest_Hilary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

Unfortunately the list in History is cleared when the program is shut down. It would be much better if the list stayed. If, like Alan Jackson, you are working on a variety of people over a week or so, and for some reason the computer shuts down, you would have to search for those odd persons all over again. If the History list stuck until there were a certain amount of persons listed (perhaps 200 - like Legacy and the last person in the list dropped off), then it would be easier to track who you were working on in the last day or so.

Also, for more convenience it would be nice to have a button for the History list on the task bar.

Re the Bookmarks - this list would become very cumbersome for Alan. It was in V1 and that is why RM users requested a History list.

Just my two bobs worth smile.gif)
Hilary

#6 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

I second the request to keep the history list from being emptied when you shut down.

I frequently spend a week or more working on a particular group of families. Under the current version, the history list is not as useful as it could be. sad.gif

Canyon Wolf

#7 Aussie Jack

Aussie Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:49 AM

I like the history list to be cleared at the end of a session. Its a record of one work session. Bookmarks are great for navigating to selected individuals. But I would like to see a way to group individuals, name the group, and then navigate within that group. Would make working a group of individuals, who are not in an immmediate family unit, much easier. Could also be a useful display tool to link individuals based on historical facts.

#8 jackari

jackari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Alan Jackson @ Jun 28 2004, 03:41 AM)
I host a One Name Study and often need to locate an individual within my 20,500+ database to place within an existing family group.  Is there a way of returning to a family grouping on screen, having subsequently selected a peson from the database who doesn't fit?  In effect using what in other programs would be the 'Undo' command. 

I could I suppose 'bookmark' the family and then recall them but that seems to be a drawn out process and something my current Family Tree program doesn't require.

I've only just found the helpful replies to my question.

Perhaps because I am still evaluating rootsmagic ie using the demo version the facilities mentioned don't work.

Control left arrow within a descendant list takes me back a generation but has no effect at all on other screens.

My Tools button has no 'Back' facility in the menu of items shown.

Or am I missing something obvious?

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:02 AM

It may be that you still have version 1.x.

The History feature was added in version 2, along with the forward and back toolbar buttons.
Alfred

#10 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

In response to Aussie Jack, I too would like a way to create a group of people and at times work only with that group of people. Bruce - could we possibly do this by adding some tools to work with the new color coding feature.

It would be great if we tell explorer to only show "blue" color coded people or to create reports working only with "red" color coded people, etc..

Yes, we can sort of do that now with that great select people dialog, but you have to go through the selection process each time and some of my selection groups are pretty safisticated! It would at least be nice to be able to save and recall selection criterior.

Canyon Wolf

#11 jackari

jackari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:48 PM

Alfred came up with the answer. I've downloaded the newer version and Control +F works fine.