• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I am interested in exporting Lat/Long from Family Atlas into Roots Magic, since I used FA to correct or improve locations for many of my RM places. Thus, when I reimport data from RM into FA I don't need to rematch the places that it didn't automatically match. Is this possible or can it be added to a wish list.

Thanks,
Cindy

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

No, longitude and latitude are both four fields, direction, degrees, minutes and seconds.

they have to be typed in individually, I suppose you could copy and paste as four items each, but it is easier to type.

The coordinates determine where a place is on the map, so if you make a mistake, the place gets moved to there. (be careful with E/W, RootsMagic defaults to E for some reason.)
Alfred

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3281 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 2 2008, 01:30 AM) View Post

No, longitude and latitude are both four fields, direction, degrees, minutes and seconds.

they have to be typed in individually, I suppose you could copy and paste as four items each, but it is easier to type.

The coordinates determine where a place is on the map, so if you make a mistake, the place gets moved to there. (be careful with E/W, RootsMagic defaults to E for some reason.)

Thanks for answering this Alfred although it is something I would like so see great improvements with in RM4. I would like to see improved ability in RM to show more pricise places (non general) with a click of the online map button so had been wondering about online mapping facilities that could show or allow you to copy the co-ordinates to RM.

Obviously this is something that is not easily possible at the moment ever with Family Atlas.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root