• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy

Cindy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I am interested in exporting Lat/Long from Family Atlas into Roots Magic, since I used FA to correct or improve locations for many of my RM places. Thus, when I reimport data from RM into FA I don't need to rematch the places that it didn't automatically match. Is this possible or can it be added to a wish list.

Thanks,
Cindy

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

No, longitude and latitude are both four fields, direction, degrees, minutes and seconds.

they have to be typed in individually, I suppose you could copy and paste as four items each, but it is easier to type.

The coordinates determine where a place is on the map, so if you make a mistake, the place gets moved to there. (be careful with E/W, RootsMagic defaults to E for some reason.)
Alfred

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 2 2008, 01:30 AM) View Post

No, longitude and latitude are both four fields, direction, degrees, minutes and seconds.

they have to be typed in individually, I suppose you could copy and paste as four items each, but it is easier to type.

The coordinates determine where a place is on the map, so if you make a mistake, the place gets moved to there. (be careful with E/W, RootsMagic defaults to E for some reason.)

Thanks for answering this Alfred although it is something I would like so see great improvements with in RM4. I would like to see improved ability in RM to show more pricise places (non general) with a click of the online map button so had been wondering about online mapping facilities that could show or allow you to copy the co-ordinates to RM.

Obviously this is something that is not easily possible at the moment ever with Family Atlas.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root