5 replies to this topic

#1 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

Could someone please explain the following to me? I'm trying to help FTM converts understand how RM does thing:

Speaking of Files…
While FTM keeps EVERYTHING in one file (filename.ftw), RootsMagic uses a variety of files to organize your files. So don’t be surprised to see multiples of the following in your Rootsmagic folder (or wherever you’ve chosen to save your files):
• filename_A.cdx through filename_T.cdx [WHAT ARE CDX FILES?]
• filename_A.dbf through filename_T.dbf [WHAT ARE DBF FILES?]
• filename_A.fpt through filename_T.fpt [WHAT ARE FPT FILES?]

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

They are all needed in each database.
It is just the way that the C++ programming language does databases.
Multiple files rather than everything crammed together into one file.

I really don't know why it does it that way.
I don't know why the sky is blue and the grass is green either.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2596 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Jillaine Smith @ Aug 31 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post

Could someone please explain the following to me? I'm trying to help FTM converts understand how RM does thing:

Speaking of Files…
While FTM keeps EVERYTHING in one file (filename.ftw), RootsMagic uses a variety of files to organize your files. So don’t be surprised to see multiples of the following in your Rootsmagic folder (or wherever you’ve chosen to save your files):
• filename_A.cdx through filename_T.cdx [WHAT ARE CDX FILES?]
• filename_A.dbf through filename_T.dbf [WHAT ARE DBF FILES?]
• filename_A.fpt through filename_T.fpt [WHAT ARE FPT FILES?]

Thanks!

-- Jillaine

Those three together complete the structure of the dataset "portion" of the RootsMagic database:

DBF - FoxPro/FoxBase Database Files (contain the actual data for your dataset except for data which is or may be rather large in size such as certain narrative data )

FPT - FoxPro/FoxBase Memo Files (large-size textual data is stored in the FPT files)

CDX - FoxPro/FoxBase Structural Compound Index Files (Each DBF file will have a corresponding CDX file and possibly a corresponding FPT file)

Actually, I think the RootsMagic program executable is written in C++ and uses a C++ class library for manipulating Xbase type datafiles and indices (of which the above extensions are used for backward and external compatibility). The Xbase "framework" is an updated collection of specifications, programs and utilities compatible with the database formats of Bruce's programs and those of many competitors.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--Ô¿Ô--
K e V i N

#4 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Aug 31 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

Those three together complete the structure of the dataset "portion" of the RootsMagic database:

DBF - FoxPro/FoxBase Database Files (contain the actual data for your dataset except for data which is or may be rather large in size such as certain narrative data )

FPT - FoxPro/FoxBase Memo Files (large-size textual data is stored in the FPT files)

CDX - FoxPro/FoxBase Structural Compound Index Files (Each DBF file will have a corresponding CDX file and possibly a corresponding FPT file)

Actually, I think the RootsMagic program executable is written in C++ and uses a C++ class library for manipulating Xbase type datafiles and indices (of which the above extensions are used for backward and external compatibility). The Xbase "framework" is an updated collection of specifications, programs and utilities compatible with the database formats of Bruce's programs and those of many competitors.

Don't you just love it when people go all 'techy' on you? :::being very sarcastic::: While I can understand a fair amount of tech-ese, the first three explanations would probably have sufficed and the second paragraph to most is nothing but gibberish.

Sorry...
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2596 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

Some people are askers...
...and some are looker-uppers ;-)
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--Ô¿Ô--
K e V i N

#6 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Sep 1 2007, 07:18 AM) View Post

Some people are askers...
...and some are looker-uppers ;-)

Thanks, everyone for the variety of explanations. I love both the tech and the non-tech.

-- Jillaine