Photo

Pedigree View - Left to Right or Right to Left???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rschreff

rschreff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Just a nagging question now, after three or four years using RM, and owning half a dozen more software packages as well, is there any logic to RM having the latest generation on the left side in the pedigree view, when I see sometimes it can be the other way around with other packages? Which is correct or best?
Maybe a right-click on the view and you could just pick which way you want it to go??(future feature ;?)

#2 Cecilia

Cecilia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm...... I think just about all pedigree views that I have seen, have the latest/youngest generations to the left. I just checked Legacy 6, Family Tree Legends and Family Tree Maker 2006. They have the latest generations to the left, and ancestors to the right. Also, most reports & charts that I have seen, look similar - with ancestors to the right. My guess is that since most (?) languages read from left to right, that is why the pedigree tree is designed that way. Just like when you are reading from a book, you start from the left.

I think the option to reverse the pedigree is interesting in reports, especially if you use your own background image in charts. I seldom use it, so it is not a priority to me. However, FT Legends has an option "reverse Left-right" in the Ancestor chart, and that made it possible for me to add an old map where the most interesting area was in the right part of the image. Having all the ancestors hiding that part would not be good, and I certainly could not mirrow the map.

/Cecilia
--------------
LATER: Just discovered that RM does allow right-left orientation in wall charts - just have not used it before. I used Legends before I had discovered RM.