FO to Roots Magic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Care_*

Guest_Care_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:22 PM

Are most of you going to stick with Family Origins 10 or are you switching over to Roots magic?

Are there a lot of features in Family Origins 10 that have not yet been added to Roots Magic yet?

Care

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:08 AM

We switched from FO 10.0 to RM and have been very happy. We have never wanted to go back! biggrin.gif

#3 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:43 AM

I was a happy user of FamilyOrigins from the very first DOS version, upgrading every time one was offered, through version 10, which is a great software. I believe I am correct in saying that RootsMagic has ALL the capabilities FO10 has, PLUS a whole lot more! I believe you will be very happy with it if you make the switch. Although FO10 is a great piece of software, you're missing a lot of features and capabilities if you don't switch to RootsMagic.

#4 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:56 PM

Take a test drive! www.rootsmagic.com/demo.htm

Although the free demo is still Ver. 1.04 you will be able to see, in my estimation, an improvement over FO 10. Ver. 2 is much better and adds charting capabilities that are very nice.

Long time FO user

#5 Guest_Marti_*

Guest_Marti_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

blink.gif I'm still stuck with FO 8; I am working hard on getting used to RM using the demo; but, FO8 is so comfortable, it is hard to change. I use it only to compile my family history - I don't post to the web or share with family (no one else seems interested or don't have computers), so all the "extras" in RM are not a draw for me. So far my decision has been to stick with FO 8. Just can't get used to the "feel" of RM.

#6 Guest_Mary_*

Guest_Mary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Marti @ Jun 23 2004, 08:32 PM)
blink.gif I'm still stuck with FO 8; I am working hard on getting used to RM using the demo; but, FO8 is so comfortable, it is hard to change. I use it only to compile my family history - I don't post to the web or share with family (no one else seems interested or don't have computers), so all the "extras" in RM are not a draw for me. So far my decision has been to stick with FO 8. Just can't get used to the "feel" of RM.

I understand what you're saying, Marti. My husband does not want to give up his Family Origins either. So we have Roots Magic, too, which I use now. I see so little difference in the look and "feel" of the basics. I'm a little more program "literate" than he, so I don't mind changing. What's important to me is if I have a problem or can't figure out how to do something, I've got the online support. Also bug fixes, upgrades, and easier and better ways of using my computer. This message reminds me how far behind I've gotten on my geneology organization. So hang in there Marti, my Husband is doing fine on his FO and has much, much more data entered than I. laugh.gif

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:51 PM

I will try to add a little incentive for upgrading to RootsMagic.

I am getting older and more forgetful. and with ten versions of Family Origins and two versions of RootsMagic, I am forgetting how to tell someone how to solve problems in the older versions.

In a couple of years, there will not be many people who can remember how things worked in Family Origins. Even now, I have to load the version in question and run through the steps to figure out how to answer some of the questions.

Support for Family Origins is getting harder to find, and even Bruce can't remember things forever.

An upgrade now will surely be a smaller step than an upgrade to the next version.

By the way, I am only a volunteer, It don't make no nevermind to my pocketbook if you upgrade or not. biggrin.gif
Alfred

#8 Guest_Marti_*

Guest_Marti_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

I have used FO8 for so long now and have probably encountered and documented just about every error message there is/was/will be. It isn't broke, so I don't need to fix it.

That RM Family Group main page screams "EXCEL worksheet" at me every time I look at it with all the lines and boxes all over the place. Plus it has the highlighted individual's information in two places on the screen - why?

The family group screen makes reading info difficult, but especially for a child/children (names on the left - vitals from the little boxes on the right side of the screen. (FO has the info right NEXT to the name).

While RM may have many more bells and whistles than FO and support, etc., my difficulty with looking at the screens, impacts greatly on my inclination to buy it. sad.gif