• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I got my Family Atlas today and installed it all fine, including sorting out all the uinrecgnised placenames. The video tutorial had no sound to it but I don't know if that's deliberate. The problem I find is when I 'Edit Genealogy Markers.'

I click on my name, and then on the right I click 'Select Group.' I want to select all my ancestors, and I click the correct option on the small grey Select Ancestors pop-up, but it seems to be configured in such a way that I can't see an OK button. I have two slivers of buttons showing at the bottom of the pop-up; if I click on the one on the left, it closes the entire programme. They both change to orange when I hover over the slivers. If I click the one on the right, nothing happens, and only my name is selected in the main list. If I opt for all individuals in the database rather than ancestors, it works fine and puts markers on the map.

Anyone got any suggestions? I don't seem able to adjust window size or pop-up size to allow me to use the OK button on the Select Ancestor pop-up. It's only the Ancestors option which is a problem; Family, Desecndants and By Surname all work fine.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

I noticed this some time ago, but I don't have any trouble with it.
The left button sliver woeks as the "OK" and the right one works as "Cancel"

It seems to have some connection with the screen resolution. I notice it when I am running at 1280X1024 but not at lesser resolutions.
Also, when I first open the "Edit Genealogy Markers" Window, the bottom hangs below the screen margin and I have to grab the title bar and drag it up. This only seems to happen at the 1280 by 1024 resolution too.

I didn't know there was a tutorial, and I certainly didn't know that it was supposed to talk to me.
Alfred

#3 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Ah thanks - I'll have a play with the screen resolution to see if it helps smile.gif I've found I can get the left button to work if I position the cursor VERY carefully; it's still hit or miss.

#4 Madge

Madge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Alfred, the tutorial is on the CD, it's good, though once I'd played it I promptly forgot all about it and it would have been nice to have had a paper copy. I seem to remember that you can turn the sound on or off, though I'm not sure how to do it now, you would have to browse through the screens.

Margaret

#5 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

I'm about ready to give up on the programme after fighting with it for 12 hours. I managed to create one set of data, but now the programme won't open it and says it's out of memory. I had no other programmes running, am only using 28G of my 180G hard drive and have 1G of RAM.

#6 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

Make sure you have the latest version. Go to:

http://www.familyatlas.com/updates

and download the most recent update.
RootsMagician

#7 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

I got the update, defragged the hard drive, ran PC Pitstop to get rid of rubbish, and rebooted. I tried to open a .fatl file I created earlier; it hung halfway through and I got the error message 'Out of memory.' It's more likely to be a problem with my computer than with the programme, but I'm not very computer-literate and haven't a clue what to do next. I've run all the virus software, Ad-Aware, Spybot etc and nothing icky is showing up, so I'm stumped.

#8 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Instead of opening an existing .fatl file, create a new one and work with that and see if the problems continue or go away. The .fatl file you are trying to open may be corrupt.
RootsMagician

#9 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

After fighting with it for 17 hours yesterday, I went out today and bought an entirely new computer. I created a new .fatl file and this time I could see the OK button as I was trying to select all my ancestors. Clicked on it; Family Atlas stopped working and closed down. Is there a limit to how many ancestors I can select? I have about 3000 direct ancestors in a GEDCOM of 29,000 people, and I'm just about ready to give up with this programme. If it doesn't work with a 1000 new computer, I'm wondering if it ever will!

#10 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Still no success with this - I keep getting the error message that Family Atlas has stopped working and the whole thing closes. Maybe I have a dud copy of the software sad.gif It's strange that it wouldn't work with XP and now won't work with Vista.

#11 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

At what point does it seem to shut down? Is it when importing, or moving around on the screen, or adding markers?

RootsMagician

#12 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

It happens when I'm adding genealogy markers. I click on my name on the list of the imported genealogy file (I've re-imported the file many times and actually made a new database this morning to get my RootsMagic to work with Vista), click Select Group, Click Ancestors. This brings up the pop-up windown; I click all generations of ancestors, unclick non-related spouses, and hit OK. Then I immediately get a message to say Family Atlas has stopped working and Windows is searching for a solution. Then it says Windows will close the program and notify me if a solution is found. It's the same every time.

#13 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

If you see your name, you must be EDITING genealogy markers, if they weren't already added the names wouldn't be there.

But that makes no difference, it shouldn't do that.

My database isn't as large as yours, about 10,000 people and 2510 places, but I can place a marker for all of the places, or any sub goup that I have tried, on the map with no problem, both on the $500 XP machine with 512MB of memory and the $1000 Vista machine with 2GB of memory.
I do see one problem with selections though, neither Ancestors nor Descendants of William Smith will select William Smith.

What about computer security? maybe you have too much and it is conflicting. I have Zone alarm free as my only firewall and AVG free as my only virus protection, that's it.

I am just rambling, hoping to stumble onto something.
Alfred

#14 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

I've got Norton Security, and the settings are the default ones; I haven't changed anything on it.

But ... my printer won't print a page either and it's talking about a firewall possibly being the problem. I'll look into it - thanks.

#15 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

Does the same thing happen when you do other types of selections? What happens when you select everyone with the same last name as yourself? If it only seems to happen when marking ancestors of a person, I'm wondering if there is a loop in those ancestors (like a person being their own grandparent for example) that FA isn't taking into account. Let me know if marking groups of people in ways other than ancestors seems to work ok.
RootsMagician

#16 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

It works fine for By Surname, and for 4 and 8 generations on ancestors. It does just seem to be when I select all my ancestors.

You may be right about a loop; I've found a couple in the past. I'll look into it - thanks for the suggestion. I have a feeling you may be right.

#17 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

I've done some testing and it appears to be having an issue with the quantity of data I'm asking it to select. It worked fine up to 34 generations (not including non-related spouses), then really slowed down:

38 generations - took 2 minutes to select 10,715 people
39 generations - took 4 minutes to select 10,775 people
40 generations - took 6 minutes to select 10,839 people
41 generations - took 11 minutes to select 10,893 people (but mapped them perfectly once it got there)

I stopped there as my earliest ancestor (including a lot of mythical and Biblical stuff) is 106 generations. At some point between 42 and 106 generations, the programme will just close. Is it possible that I simply have too much data for the programme to handle?

#18 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

I tried to add a marker for the first time: Markers > Add > Genealogy Marker Set > OK

A screen popped up saying it was updating. I got to the "Edit Genealogy Markers" screen (which was HUGE, by the way. I clicked the maximize button and the screen looked normal size).

Then I selected only the "birth" events and clicked OK. A screen told me I forgot to select a person, so I clicked OK. The whole Edit Genealogy Markers screen went away, so I had to start over.

Note: The OK & Cancel buttons on the bottom left of the Edit Genealogy Markers screen look like they are peeking out from behind the right section of the page. This doesn't look normal to me.

I typed a name and got it to show up on the screen, then the program slowed down a bit, but finally I was able to click the box in front of a person, then Select Group, then Ancestors. But there was no "OK" button in the "Select Ancestors" screen. I'm unable to continue.

If I select descendants, there *is* an OK button. That's great if I want descendants, but I want ancestors.

I tried this several times (and re-imported all the Genealogy files) and get the same results.

No, I don't have continuous looped ancestors.

My database size:
39,339 people
3,037 places

I haven't gone thru all 3,037 places to correct the 800 or so that don't match in Family Atlas. But that shouldn't affect if the OK button shows or not.

How do I get the OK button?

~Debbie
Family Atlas Version 1.0.4.80 (28 Nov 2006)

~ Debbie

#19 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

I hope my post doesn't get lost amongst the problem "wigginsmum" is having, but I'm having the same "Can't see the OK button" - should I have posted a new topic?

~Debbie
~ Debbie

#20 wigginsmum

wigginsmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

As we're having the same problem, we might as well keep it all in one place. I can just about cope with the OK button peeking out, but the Select All Ancestors still doesn't work for me. I found the programme was closing completely, the same as you.