• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OcoeeBill

OcoeeBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have Roots Magic latest version and update. Today when I tried to run the program it briefly shows the opening Roots Magic logo screen and quickly shuts down. When I tried several times it is all the same. It just briefly flashes on and immediately shuts down. I use windows xp home edition. I tried reinstalling the program, scanning for problems and restarting the computer and completely shutting down and rebooting the computer to no avail. I next tried to right click the icon. This brings up the opening work screen. The toolbar is grey and inactive except for file. However, it gives me an error message when I attempt to open any data base. the message is: RootsMagic encountered an error while trying to open this data base. It will not open any data base.
Help. Any suggestions?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have a feeling that you may have done some hard drive cleanup lately and accidentally removed some of the RootsMagic database files.

DO NOT EMPTY YOUR RECYCLE BIN!

Go to your recycle bin and see if there are any files there with the extensions of "DBF" "FPT" and "CDX" (They should have main names of your databases too, of course.)

If there are, highlight them and restore them. They should be restored to their original folder so that you can open your database.

RootsMagic needs 33 or 35 files per database to work. There is only one "RMG" file per database , the rest have those extensions I mentioned.

======= July 7, 12:23AM =====
I KNEW I should have mentioned restoring a backup. wink.gif
Alfred

#3 OcoeeBill

OcoeeBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(OcoeeBill @ Jul 5 2007, 12:25 PM) View Post

I have Roots Magic latest version and update. Today when I tried to run the program it briefly shows the opening Roots Magic logo screen and quickly shuts down. When I tried several times it is all the same. It just briefly flashes on and immediately shuts down. I use windows xp home edition. I tried reinstalling the program, scanning for problems and restarting the computer and completely shutting down and rebooting the computer to no avail. I next tried to right click the icon. This brings up the opening work screen. The toolbar is grey and inactive except for file. However, it gives me an error message when I attempt to open any data base. the message is: RootsMagic encountered an error while trying to open this data base. It will not open any data base.
Help. Any suggestions?

Alfred, I went ahead checked on your suggestion. No luck there, none of the files were in the trash. However, I was able to make another attempt at opening my main database and lo and behold I received a different message. This time the message was it was unable to find the data base. Sooooo, I copied my back up file and restore it and that finally worked. Now the program is working fine again and no data loss at all. So, just remember, back up those files faithfully. You just never know. Thank you all for all of your suggestions. Between restore the defaults and checking several items, something made a difference.

Ocoeebill