Web site

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_George Spencer_*

Guest_George Spencer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:40 AM

I just made up a web site from my GEDCOM and I notice that some of the names are not listed. What can I do to correct that?

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:31 AM

Can you help us out with what kind of web site, pedigree, book? What names were not listed and what relationships are they?

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (George Spencer @ Jun 18 2004, 06:40 AM)
I just made up a web site from my GEDCOM and I notice that some of the names are not listed.   What can I do to correct that?

And, Did you send a GEDCOM file off to let someone else create a web site from it, or do you mean that you had RootsMagic create web site from your database?

A database and a GEDCOM are not the same thing and many people talk of them as if they were. It sure does cause confusion.

A GEDCOM file is a standardized file for letting us share data, it comes from the three words"

GEnealogical Data COMmunication

Most Genealogy programs will export GEDCOM files that can then be shared with someone using a different genealogy program, which will import the data from the GEDCOM file into it's own database.

By the way, which people were missing?
Do they happen to be the living individuals? or at least people that are marked as living?
Alfred

#4 Guest_George_*

Guest_George_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

Alfred,
I made a website using Roots Magic. The persons omitted are NOT alive.

I have not sent a GEDCOM to someone else to try. IF some would care to,
let me know and I'll be glad to send it off.

George

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (George @ Jun 18 2004, 12:01 PM)
Alfred,
  I made a website using Roots Magic.  The persons omitted are NOT alive.

I have not sent a GEDCOM to someone else to try.  IF some would care to,
let me know and I'll be glad to send it off.

George

Don't know if this is the case, BUT:

If you choose any "Type of website to create" like:

Pedigree charts - starting with highlighted person
Book - Ancestors starting with highlighted person
Book - Descendants starting with highlighted person

You, of course, will not get ~everyone~ in the database rolleyes.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Guest_George_*

Guest_George_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

I just tried again to make a web site using RM, and again it did not recognize the
being person on the site. Not sure I am saying this correct or not!!

But when I went to my FTP program, I did not find his RIN number there!!

What is going on here?

#7 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (George @ Jun 25 2004, 12:02 PM)
I just tried again to make a web site using RM, and again it did not recognize the being person on the site. Not sure I am saying this correct or not! But when I went to my FTP program, I did not find his RIN number there!! What is going on here?

George,

You said "... when I went to my FTP program, I did not find his RIN number there". Who's RIN number? Who is "HIS"? Why would you be looking for a RIN number in your FTP program?

What do you mean by RIN number? Are you referring to the Record Number that gets asssigned to every person in a RootsMagic database? What does a person's record number or RIN have to do with uploading website files to a website or with using the WSFTP program? I use WSFTP all the time to upload files to a website and it has never asked me for a RIN number or even tried to find a RIN number. A RIN number is totally irrelevant to using WSFTP or uploading files to a website.

It's not real clear to me what you are trying to do or exactly what problem you are experiencing. Is the problem occurring when you try to create a website with RM, or is the problem occurring when you try to upload the website files to a website?

To which website are you trying to upload files?

If you provide the full and exact steps you are following, someone might better understand the problem and then be able to help you.

#8 Guest_George_*

Guest_George_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:07 PM

Okay Allen, let me see if I can remember all of your questions.

When you enter data in to the RM database it assigns a RIN number. If you do a
search in RM it will bring up the individual you are looking for and there is a RIN
number assigned to him/her.

When you create a website using RM, in my case a "descendant" website using the
first person or the "head ancestor" as the beginning of the site. It is put into the
sub directory of your choice.

From there you go to your WSFTP program and transfer the date to the website
of your choice.

In my case: http://freepages.gen...web.com/~george

If you access this site, everything works. But I have added more to my database
in RM and assigned a new "head" person. In the above site it's called: The Decendants of William Spencer. However I have much more information concerning him that
I want to add, mainly his father, etc.

When I make the website using RM his parents, etc do now show up in my FTP program to enable me to transfer those new files into my website.

I don't have the newly made one up cuz I can't get past the beginning!!

Does this help?

#9 winger15

winger15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:10 PM

Allen,
BTW, don't pay attention to the other webpages I have on my Front page of the
site. Just look at "The Descendants of William Spencer". You can see how it works.

#10 winger15

winger15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

Allen,
Okay it is fixed. Thanks for the help. I don't know what I did but it's the way
I want it now.

#11 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (George @ Jun 25 2004, 02:07 PM)
If you access this site, everything works. But I have added more to my database in RM and assigned a new "head" person. In the above site it's called: The Decendants of William Spencer. However I have much more information concerning him that
I want to add, mainly his father, etc.

When I make the website using RM his parents, etc do now show up in my FTP program to enable me to transfer those new files into my website. I don't have the newly made one up cuz I can't get past the beginning!!

I'm still not sure why you are mentioning RIN or record numbers. They have nothing to do with uploading website files to a website.

I was understanding your explanation until you got to the point where you said you assigned a new "head" person (William Spencer?). Who was the original head person? William's son?

Regardless, if you have changed the beginning ancestor for you decendants website or you have added new data in RM to any person included in this descendants website then you need to go into RM and regenerate the website all over again, Then delete all the original website files from the website, then upload the complete new website files to the website. You don't want to try and replace/revise the original website piecemeal (updating or replacing individual files). It's a lot easier and more practical to just regenerate the entire website all over again based on the new beginning (Head) person.

#12 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

I have never seen a reference to an “RIN” in RootsMagic.

What you are talking about, RootsMagic calls a “Record number”

The record number is not exported to a web site or to the reports, except for some lists and custom reports. It is meant to be uses within the database itself for linking people to events and sometimes for finding people.

So, when you say RIN, we do not know what you are referring to.

Record numbers have nothig to do with the website.

===========

When you create a website with RootsMagic, it stores the entire web site in a folder within the database folder named whatever you use as the project name.

If you then create another website with that same project name, it tells you that that folder already exists and asks if you want to replace it. If you say YES, that is what it does, it erases everything in that folder and puts the new website in it.

NOW, if you upload that new website to the server and place it in the same folder as the previously uploaded web site of the same name, it OVERWRITES some of the files on the server and makes the website nearly unusable because the index.htm file is the same name as the original site had but it will only index the files uploaded with it, some of which may also overwrite like named files. There will still be some files left over from the original upload, but they will not be linked to any of the new website, so for all practical purposes, they are just taking up space.

You cannot update a website you have already uploaded, without doing a bunch of HTML editing by hand.

You can upload a second database to a different folder and use both of them, if you make some sort of index to access each of them.

Each website you create in RootsMagic and upload to your site has to be in it’s own unique folder.

------- added as an afterthought ---
If you want to add more people to your existing web site, create a new web site using RootsMagic with all of those people in it.
Then, using your FTP program, Delete what you already have up there before uploading the new one.

You cannot edit or add to an existing one. you can only upload a whole new one. (Unless, as I mentioned, you want to do a bunch of HTML editing to each of the files in the original site)
Alfred