• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Oats

Larry Oats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

I have a problem restoring to my new Vista system. I routinely move my database back and forth between my laptop and my desktop; when both were running XP I had no problems. Now, however, my laptop runs XP and my new desktop runs Vista. A backup made on the laptop can restore to the laptop. A backup made on the desktop can restore to the desktop. However, when I attempt to retore a backup made on the laptop to the desktop, I get the message "The backup was not fully restored."

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

What are you doing?

How are you getting the backup from one computer to the other?
Are you copying it to a folder on the restoring computer, or are you trying to restore from removable media?

If you are using removable media, can both computers read what the other wrote accurately?

Alfred

#3 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:51 AM

Larry

Try this, right click on the Rootsmagic icon on vista desktop. Click on properties, click on compatibility, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and then choose Windows XP (service pack 2) then apply. Most of the problems (not all) I experienced with vista seems to have 'ironed' itself out.

Frank

#4 Larry Oats

Larry Oats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

All of this is fine. I've even copied the backup file into the desktop's RootsMagic folder, but it still considers the backup an uncompleted backup and refuses to open it. I can open files such as Word, Excel, etc. on the memory stick I'm using.

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 21 2007, 08:48 PM) View Post

What are you doing?

How are you getting the backup from one computer to the other?
Are you copying it to a folder on the restoring computer, or are you trying to restore from removable media?

If you are using removable media, can both computers read what the other wrote accurately?

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(Larry Oats @ May 26 2007, 10:02 AM) View Post

All of this is fine. I've even copied the backup file into the desktop's RootsMagic folder, but it still considers the backup an uncompleted backup and refuses to open it. I can open files such as Word, Excel, etc. on the memory stick I'm using.

See this thread:

http://www.rootsmagi...=fully restored

Backups are simply .ZIP file archives of the 30-something files that make up A database. Try opening the "suspect' backup by just "double-clicking" on it. It should OPEN -without error- into whatever program is associated with archive files and show (list) those 30-something file names.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 coopdude

coopdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Larry Oats @ May 21 2007, 06:37 PM) View Post

I have a problem restoring to my new Vista system. I routinely move my database back and forth between my laptop and my desktop; when both were running XP I had no problems. Now, however, my laptop runs XP and my new desktop runs Vista. A backup made on the laptop can restore to the laptop. A backup made on the desktop can restore to the desktop. However, when I attempt to retore a backup made on the laptop to the desktop, I get the message "The backup was not fully restored."

People will tell you otherwise, but RootsMagic is still not (yet) 100% compatible with the Vista OS. My RootsMagic program shuts itself down on a regular basis on my brand new laptop running Vista Premium. I keep hoping for a patch to come out because even with the crashes, RootsMagic is WAY better than any other Genealogy program I've used.