3 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa Masters

Lisa Masters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have read about Family Atlas and Map My Family Tree, and though they seem very much alike. What are the difference between them and what makes one stand out more than the other?

Thank You

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5732 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

To answer your question one would have to be familiar with both programs.

A review of both programs may tell you what the differences are.

Here is one I found by searching Google for ( "Family Atlas" and "Map My Family Tree" )
http://blog.eogn.com...y_atlas_ge.html
Alfred

#3 Athena

Athena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Lisa Masters @ May 19 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

I have read about Family Atlas and Map My Family Tree, and though they seem very much alike. What are the difference between them and what makes one stand out more than the other?

I have both and I prefer Family Atlas because
  1. Geocoding is faster and doesn't have to be redone everytime you make any change in the places list.
  2. It's easier to enter historical places
  3. I can see changes over time -- the timeline view is terrific!
  4. I can save the atlas with my filter settings so that I don't have to start from scratch every session
I expect that both products will get beter over time but I really thing Family Atlas is on a better track.

#4 starbug

starbug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

I used Map My Family Tree for years before I just recently found Family Atlas.

I want a program capable of mapping a genealogical file because I am writing a social history of the descendents of one man who came to Virginia in 1701. I currently have identified over 27,000 family member descendents.

I really liked Map My Family Tree, but I found several issues (which is why I started looking for another program):

1) certain locations were "buggy" - notably Washington, D.C. and Alaska. I simply could not get them to identify correctly on the maps and because both these locations were critical to my research and mapping, this was very frustrating.

2) perhaps because of the size of my genealogy file, loading the genealogy file took a long time.

3) but then, later, my genealogy file would process for a long while and then crash my whole computer.

4) I was not satisfied with the responses support gave me. I have been a programmer as well as technical support and direct user support and they didn't understand my purpose for using the program.

I have used Family Atlas for less than 2 weeks at this point, but this is my current opinion:

1) It is more accurate than Map My Family Tree.
2) It is REMARKABLY faster loading my genealogy file than Map My Family Tree.
3) The Atlas Style Choices have allowed me to show more than just "American Mainland Members" of my genealogy file on my website.

I think it depends on why you are using a mapping program.

Map My Family Tree identifies people in your family tree by country and states/provinces and counties. You can "drill down" and look at a state or county, and in that respect it is extremely useful.

Family Atlas uses a different approach. You can identify your family by many different record types and also edit your atlas in many useful ways and then use the publisher tool (for example, to track migration).

I think, in the long run, Map My Family Tree might be most useful for those genealogists who want to use it for a research tool, but aren't planning to use it to publish maps.

However, if one wants a map tool connected to genealogy or another series of historical events, in my opinion they will be better off using Family Atlas.