1 reply to this topic

#1 donmarler

donmarler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:56 PM

Good Afternoon,

I have a new computer with Windows XP. My old computer has Family Origins 9.02 and Home Inventory. I cannot find installation disks for these programs (did I download them?). I transferred the execution and data files to the new computer but I cannot open them.

What can I do?

Don Marler

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:23 PM

You will not find an installation disk for Family Origins 9.02. You may find one for Family Origins 9.0. If you do, install that, then go to the FormalSoft download site at:
http://www.formalsoft.com/files.htm
and download the 9.0 to 9.02 patch that is the top listing on the page. once it is downloaded, you need to run un the patch program, just double click it and tell it where the Family Origins program is located.

There are too many supporting files, such as DLL and other files, on the disk to transfer a working Windows program from one computer to another. We used to be able to do that back in the gook old days of DOS, (If you can call them the "good old days.") Even if you transferred every file in the Family Origins program folder, there would probably still be some others that were needed to run the program, and of course, the registry entries.

I do not know anything about Home Inventory. Was that a Parsons Technology program?

I do not know of any place you could obtain another copy of Family Origins. If your old computer is still running, export a GEDCOM file or two from each database you have and save them in a save place. You can then import these GEDCOM into a new program, such as RootsMagic.
Alfred