145 replies to this topic

#141 JaniceT

JaniceT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Betty Jo Blunk @ Apr 6 2007, 09:53 AM) View Post

rolleyes.gif Although I would LOVE to see version 4 I think it should wait until it is compatible with Vista, as I have a new laptop, which says that when the Vista update is available I will get it free. We shall see, I have heard that story before. My computer magazines have horror stories from people who cannot get their FAVORITE programs to work in it although they should. Since Microsoft is going to drop support for XP sooner than they usually do, I really want something that will work when I have to go to Vista (grumbling all the way). Is there a Mac version of RootsMagic, I have thought seriously about switching, but don't because of all the programs that I have that do not work with Macs. Jo Blunk

I CAN THINK OF 2 EXAMPLES WHY RM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA. 1. YOU CAN'T USE YOUR DICTIONARY. OPEN THE RM DICTIONARY FILE, YOU'LL SEE A BLANK PAGE. TRY TO ADD A WORD TO YOUR RM DICT., NO CAN DO WITH RM OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM.
2. WHEN VISTA OR GOOGLE IS INDEXING IN THE BACKGROUND, I'VE HAD RM CRASH, ALL DATA DISAPPEARS WHEN PERFORMING CERTAIN TASKS, ESPECIALLY CUT AND PASTE. OH YEAH IF I RESTART RM AND CLICK HOME PERSON IT'S INTACT BUT MY HEART IS STILL POUNDING AT THE THOUGHT OF LOSING 28 YRS OF RESEARCH. I LIKE VISTA BECAUSE I CAN SEARCH ANY WORD, PHRASE ON THE PC BUT IF IT WOULD SEARCH RM I'D BE ELATED.
JAN T

#142 JHP

JHP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(JaniceT @ Dec 8 2008, 01:55 PM) View Post

I CAN THINK OF 2 EXAMPLES WHY RM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA. 1. YOU CAN'T USE YOUR DICTIONARY. OPEN THE RM DICTIONARY FILE, YOU'LL SEE A BLANK PAGE. TRY TO ADD A WORD TO YOUR RM DICT., NO CAN DO WITH RM OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM.
2. WHEN VISTA OR GOOGLE IS INDEXING IN THE BACKGROUND, I'VE HAD RM CRASH, ALL DATA DISAPPEARS WHEN PERFORMING CERTAIN TASKS, ESPECIALLY CUT AND PASTE. OH YEAH IF I RESTART RM AND CLICK HOME PERSON IT'S INTACT BUT MY HEART IS STILL POUNDING AT THE THOUGHT OF LOSING 28 YRS OF RESEARCH. I LIKE VISTA BECAUSE I CAN SEARCH ANY WORD, PHRASE ON THE PC BUT IF IT WOULD SEARCH RM I'D BE ELATED.
JAN T

I've been using Vista since it was in beta and have had very little problems with a multitude of software programs including RM (all of which now work perfectly).

There have been several comments regarding not installing RM in the default "Program Files" directory which will fix the dictionary problem.

And for those that think switching to MAC will magically cure all your problems, DREAM ON!!!

Jesse

P.S.
If you back-up properly, you can never loose 28 years of research!

#143 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

Am I the only one who is feeling like I have missed an update or something, where on earth is V4.

Correct me if I am wrong but it was July 2005 that V3 was released and I have got to the stage now where I have run out of wishes and just left with the wish that it would be released, things that are still being ironed out can be addressed by patches. I always thought the software standard or goal was to release a new version yearly.

Please forgive my impatience but I need something new to get my teeth into.

They do say be careful what you wish for :wacko:

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#144 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

I don't see much point of digging up this old thread which was only started to try to bully Bruce to release V4 prematurely anyway.

Some people spend their lives only looking at the negarive and never appreciating the positive.  

#145 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't see much point of digging up this old thread which was only started to try to bully Bruce to release V4 prematurely anyway.

Some people spend their lives only looking at the negarive and never appreciating the positive.  

With 53380 views and 141 replies the topic was statistically chosen for me, and I never been called a bully before, interesting opinion.

I would be interested to know how one can improve or develop from a position of perfection, possibly never, narcissists come to mind.

If it's not broken don't fix it also comes to mind, however if it is broken it would probably be best to get on with fixing it.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#146 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

The last thing I want is to try and manage this old thread. It was only a Hot Topic in 2008. I'm closing this. Just open a new thread if you want to discuss what is or isn't in version 7.

Renee
RootsMagic