145 replies to this topic

#21 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Apr 8 2007, 12:23 AM)  

NEED shouldn't play a part in the determination of a new version. If that were the overriding criteria, none of us would be using computers at all, because we don't NEED computers for genealogy. There are many, many features that RootsMagic doesn't currently have that it could ... starting with the dozens of wishlist items that have been repeated over the years, some of them carrying over from FO. Any SINGLE ONE of those major wishes might be worth the upgrade price.

To imply that RootsMagic is "OK" as-is presents a near-sighted, short-term outlook for its financial future and name recognition as one of the better genealogy software programs. Continuing to evolve and introduce new features and functions is called staying ahead of the competition and acknowledging the wants of your customer base. Heard of anyone selling wringer washing machines lately? Phonograph records? 8-track tape players? The list goes on and on. If RM doesn't present a new and substantially improved version soon, somebody else will come along with a better mousetrap - guaranteed ... and that is not my opinion!

Well said Ludlow Bay, I was starting to think I was behaving like a selfish child just wanting the latest toy biggrin.gif

The genealogy market and availability of information is changing rapidly and programs need to at least keep pace and provide us with new and intuitive ways of digesting and manipulating all this information and not forgetting new ways to present it to others.

Alfred, I need bread and water so everything else must be a want (there I feel better already), we evolved to walk on two legs since that seemed to be a better way and the human spirit naturally strives for improvement, otherwise we wouldn't have this wish list, would we?

There now, that's kept me occupied for another day.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#22 JDumonceaux

JDumonceaux

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

I've been using RootsMagic with Vista for 6 months and it works fine.

#23 JDumonceaux

JDumonceaux

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

smile.gif I'd just like to add my support for regular enhancements. I enjoy and recommend RootsMagic largely because of the ability of users to suggest improvements through the "WishList". The current version is a great product, but there is room for improvement - and you can bet the competition is paying attention and working on incorporating the best of those into their products.

I have a number of "Wishes" that I'd be willing to pay extra to have worked on. However, two years between releases suggests to me that the programmer has gone off to other projects. If the product isn't going to continue to improve and evolve, then I'll develop my own or look elsewhere.

#24 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(JDumonceaux @ Apr 9 2007, 03:42 AM)  

smile.gif I'd just like to add my support for regular enhancements. I enjoy and recommend RootsMagic largely because of the ability of users to suggest improvements through the "WishList". The current version is a great product, but there is room for improvement - and you can bet the competition is paying attention and working on incorporating the best of those into their products.

I have a number of "Wishes" that I'd be willing to pay extra to have worked on. However, two years between releases suggests to me that the programmer has gone off to other projects. If the product isn't going to continue to improve and evolve, then I'll develop my own or look elsewhere.

I have been holding back from that kind of language but it should be obvious to the developers, no improvement or development and the competition will win with their latest offerings.

I have two huge and potentially very time consuming projects which I have been holding back on in case RM4 holds some utilities or enhancements which might help save me time.

I have been a user since about FO3 but it's also true I have been looking at what the competition has to offer in this respect but holding back on a massive change like that as once my data is converted I doubt if I would be prepared to go through the pain of moving it back.

Thankfully I have a holiday coming up so I can put my decision back a few more weeks.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#25 gen.witch

gen.witch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Apr 7 2007, 05:15 PM)  

There are various requested improvements that have been repeatedly on this list for the past 2 years and I personally can afford $20, so does that mean I can have a new version?

I hope the answer is yes.

Rootsmagic News has just popped in but not with the news I was waiting for.

SNZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There are requests for new features that have been around since version one. I'm not a programmer, but there are definitely some features that would come in handy.

More options in To Do lists. I like to print my to do list by repository, and then description and would like to add the ability to also have it sort by priority and/or problems.

I have been linking a lot of photos to my immediate family and with my great <G> memory sometimes have forgetten whether I've linked a photo. Since all recently added photos go to the end of a person's scrapbook, I would really like to be able to go to the last page rather than having to page through all the photos for a particular person.

Support for Polish diacriticals so that these Polish names and locations print right.

Anne K.

#26 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(gen.witch @ Apr 11 2007, 06:39 AM)  

I have been linking a lot of photos to my immediate family and with my great <G> memory sometimes have forgetten whether I've linked a photo. Since all recently added photos go to the end of a person's scrapbook, I would really like to be able to go to the last page rather than having to page through all the photos for a particular person.

There is a wish on the list for this very thing, a utility within RM which will tell you which photo's are linked and which are not. Fairly easy, RM should look in your media folder and be able to report all files which don't have a reference in RM.

I have thousands of photo's, scanned documents etc, it's very difficult to manage.

Root

#27 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(JDumonceaux @ Apr 8 2007, 08:42 PM)  

However, two years between releases suggests to me that the programmer has gone off to other projects. If the product isn't going to continue to improve and evolve, then I'll develop my own or look elsewhere.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think we aren't working on a major upgrade just because it has been 18 months (not 2 years) since RM3 was released.

http://blog.eogn.com...magic_3_to.html

We are actively working on RM4. In the meantime, we have released quite a few free interim upgrades to RM3. I personally think users will be more than happy with RM4, but we won't be releasing it until it is solid.

RootsMagician

#28 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Apr 11 2007, 09:27 AM)  

We are actively working on RM4. In the meantime, we have released quite a few free interim upgrades to RM3. I personally think users will be more than happy with RM4, but we won't be releasing it until it is solid.

I believe thatís the reassuring words we all wanted to hear.

So lets all keep our fingers crossed, eyes closed and be patient.

#29 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Apr 11 2007, 05:27 PM)  

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think we aren't working on a major upgrade just because it has been 18 months (not 2 years) since RM3 was released.

The announcement of RM3 being released was 30 August 2005, so we are now a lot closer to 2 years than 18 months between version upgrades.

I personally am hoping for an announcement of the release of RM4 in the near future, other genealogy packages have moved on considerably in various areas, which is starting to make RM look a bit dated.

Root

#30 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Jul 20 2007, 08:13 AM)  

The announcement of RM3 being released was 30 August 2005, so we are now a lot closer to 2 years than 18 months between version upgrades.

I personally am hoping for an announcement of the release of RM4 in the near future, other genealogy packages have moved on considerably in various areas, which is starting to make RM look a bit dated.

Well I've never met Bruce and I certainly don't know the situations he's dealing with in development, but my "educated guess" from nearly 30 years in software development (my how time flies!) is that he is more anxious than anyone else to get RM4 shipping. Where it's fun and convenient for what is (to most of us) just a hobby, it's his livelihood. Hopefully the delay means we'll all be getting a large percentage of the things we've been wishing for for a long time!

#31 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(landbrake @ Jul 20 2007, 08:03 AM)  

Well I've never met Bruce and I certainly don't know the situations he's dealing with in development, but my "educated guess" from nearly 30 years in software development (my how time flies!) is that he is more anxious than anyone else to get RM4 shipping. Where it's fun and convenient for what is (to most of us) just a hobby, it's his livelihood. Hopefully the delay means we'll all be getting a large percentage of the things we've been wishing for for a long time!

Three months ago I thought we heard some reassuring words from Rootsmagician but time does seem to be moving on.

Thinking about the current state of play and not knowing the structure of RM, I would not like to be paying even ONE software developer TWO years wages to improve what is already an excellent program. Any way from a business point of view the return on such a program still has itís limitations.

Quality of publishing and output was always a wish for improvement with better charts, photoís etc etc. Another was mapping and places. So I got to thinking that we might expect far better integration into Family Historian and Family Atlas with the next release after all it would be far more lucrative for RM to be marketing a suite of programs that work well together. It also stands to reason that the essential features of FH and FA are not going to be substantially improved in RM.

Whatever is planned I like most hope it happens in my lifetime.

#32 David Potter

David Potter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

Hi All

Very good debate and all that... I would be so greatful if a patch could be released that allowed me to copy/paste pure and simple facts from one individual to another, dragging along the source/citations with it. That would justify $20 of my pocket money anytime. smile.gif

David

#33 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:54 AM

August 30, 2005

RootsMagic 3 to be Released at FGS in September
The following is an announcement from RootsMagic, Inc.:

RootsMagic, Inc., a leader in family history software, will release version 3 of its award winning family tree software RootsMagic at the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) conference September 8, 2005.

RootsMagic 3 retains the ease of use that has led reviewers to call it "the best genealogy program we've seen", and "my favorite for the best all-around program", while adding features that make it even easier and more fun to use.

Hopefully a significant date is now just around the corner.....

Root

#34 Jeff Jahn

Jeff Jahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

I am hoping he takes his time and works out all the bugs. It would be nice to hear some of the possible features of V.4 though. FTM is famous for adding one feature, changing a few items and then releasing as a new verison. Yes it looks like their current verison has been reworked but it looks like to me your paying for a unfinished product, basicly your paying for the beta period.

#35 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(Jeff Jahn @ Aug 29 2007, 12:37 PM)  

I am hoping he takes his time and works out all the bugs. ...

I would rather see a late release date with no corrective patches than a rush job as some other vendors seem to be delivering.

#36 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Aug 30 2007, 07:09 PM)  

I would rather see a late release date with no corrective patches than a rush job as some other vendors seem to be delivering.

Some "other" vendors? Ah ... not like RM's bug fixes 3.02, 3.03, 3.04, 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3, 3.2.4, of course. ph34r.gif

#37 JDumonceaux

JDumonceaux

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

I'm very disappointed that only a minor version was released this month (v3.2.5). What happened to V4?

RootsMagic is a good product and I continue to recommend it to people, but it's getting stale. There are wonderful opportunities to refine the product and enhance the ways people manage and work with their data.

Sadly, these requests seems to be falling on deaf ears.

#38 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(JDumonceaux @ Sep 5 2007, 06:51 AM)  

I wouldn't bet on that wink.gif
RootsMagician

#39 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Sep 5 2007, 11:16 AM)  

I wouldn't bet on that wink.gif

Uh oh....from that look on his 'smiley'....Bruce definitely has something up his sleeve regarding the next version.

Guess we will just have to wait for the Magician's tricks to happen. <G>

Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#40 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(JDumonceaux @ Sep 5 2007, 01:51 PM)  

I'm very disappointed that only a minor version was released this month (v3.2.5). What happened to V4?

RootsMagic is a good product and I continue to recommend it to people, but it's getting stale. There are wonderful opportunities to refine the product and enhance the ways people manage and work with their data.

When I saw the email newsletter notification, I got excited, then when saw it was an update my hopes sank, then after a few minutes I got the feeling things were very close and Bruce seems to have confirmed that.

Just a matter of time now (or was that always the case) cool.gif

Root