145 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Am I the only one who is feeling like I have missed an update or something, where on earth is V4.

Correct me if I am wrong but it was July 2005 that V3 was released and I have got to the stage now where I have run out of wishes and just left with the wish that it would be released, things that are still being ironed out can be addressed by patches. I always thought the software standard or goal was to release a new version yearly.

Please forgive my impatience but I need something new to get my teeth into.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

There may be two schools of thought over the major new release issue. If upgrades aren't released often enough, some users may be disappointed in that improvements to the software aren't coming quickly enough. If they're released too often, the criticism by other users is that they're being taken advantage of in terms of having to shell out money too quickly in order to remain current and that they haven't had enough time to fully explore any complicated new features.

Regardless of what side you come down on, it's certainly been good to receive the various free interim patch updates with new features and fixes from time to time (which have sometimes been significant).

The level of impatience may also be driven somewhat by what new features are included in a given interim update and how recently the last one was released.

I suspect that the RootsMagician has perhaps also been busy with new product(s?). It seemed as though these new RootsMagic releases were being done about every year or so, but I hadn't realized it had been over a year-and-a-half since the last one. I wouldn't be at all surprised, however, if a new release were right around the corner. I'll certainly be interested to find out what might be in store . . .

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

I think we are all getting eager to see what RM 4 will bring us.

But, personally, I would prefer a new version to be as bug free as possible to RM's usual excellent standards.

If Bruce is working on unicode, it may be a while longer. Maybe my imagination is working over time, but, I suspect adding unicode would affect very feature and function of RM.

And you have to remember, we have had at least 2 updates to RM 3 that have included features that most programmers would have waited to release in a new version.

Laura

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

Do you want something fast?

OR,

Do you want something good?

I suppose they could have called a couple of the free patches version updates and charged us for them. laugh.gif
Alfred

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 5 2007, 11:57 PM) View Post

Do you want something fast?

OR,

Do you want something good?

I suppose they could have called a couple of the free patches version updates and charged us for them. laugh.gif

It's already GOOD Alfred, in fact probably the best IMHO, but there are little improvements that are a tad overdue and I don't know anyone who does not look forward to improvements, I hope that includes you tongue.gif

I think I am just getting a little bored but I also believe RM4 is just around the corner.

Happy hunting All

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

Laura - > Depending on Bruce's language of choice, unicode should be the least of his headaches...unless he is still hacking away in C.

Alfred - > I am sure someone could have tried to pass the patches off as versions and charged for them however things such as FTM file import are hardly significant enough to make a smart user shell out any money. You should know that. If peope did shell out $$ for such a thing then I have a bridge in Brooklyn up for sell. Send them my way.

I think one can hardly be blamed for wanting a new release, after all during its history both FO amd RM were fairly yearly in the releases. In the last 20 months or so since 3 was released, there have been more than a respectable amount of wishlist items posted some of which would be reasonable to implement.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Ken Funk @ Mar 7 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

Laura - > Depending on Bruce's language of choice, unicode should be the least of his headaches...unless he is still hacking away in C.

RootsMagic is written in C++, and uses the CodeBase library, which is a C++ database library.

Perhaps the delay is related to logistics surrounding a change or adaptations regarding the expansion of said capabilites?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 myfizgig

myfizgig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Mar 5 2007, 05:31 PM) View Post

It's already GOOD Alfred, in fact probably the best IMHO, but there are little improvements that are a tad overdue and I don't know anyone who does not look forward to improvements, I hope that includes you tongue.gif

I think I am just getting a little bored but I also believe RM4 is just around the corner.

Happy hunting All

I am glad of the new fixes and all, but I am more engrossed in building my family tree and getting it into the program. I have over 7000 relatives so far and always looking for new info on them. Working the family tree is never boring to me. And since I am on a fixed income it sometimes is difficult for me to come up with the extra money to pay for the new version.

#9 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

Isn't it surprising how 'spoiled' we have become with such a great program? We are always wanting more, sometimes things that can be accomplished, sometimes things that cannot.

I, for one, am very happy with the program as it is, since it is so much better than any others that I have tried/evaluated over the years for various reasons or another. I have always come back to one of Bruce's programs, Family Origin originally and now, RootsMagic.

There have been a couple of suggestions that I have made, just as many others have, but I will wait until they happen and be content with things as they are currently.

Since I am not a software programmer/developer, I can certainly appreciate all the hours that it has taken to get this program to the great standard that it is now. I can also appreciate the hours that are currently being spent on making any changes to the program as each change not only is written into the program, but must be tested and then tested again to be sure there are no (or very few) bugs before it is sent on to those of us who use it.

I really must applaud Bruce and all his people for the fantastic job they do with RootsMagic, between support, testing, and retesting as well as all his work in just creating the program.

JMO
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hi Candy,

Well said. I agree.

Laura

#11 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Candy @ Mar 8 2007, 06:43 PM) View Post

Isn't it surprising how 'spoiled' we have become with such a great program? We are always wanting more, sometimes things that can be accomplished, sometimes things that cannot.

I, for one, am very happy with the program as it is, since it is so much better than any others that I have tried/evaluated over the years for various reasons or another. I have always come back to one of Bruce's programs, Family Origin originally and now, RootsMagic.

There have been a couple of suggestions that I have made, just as many others have, but I will wait until they happen and be content with things as they are currently.

Since I am not a software programmer/developer, I can certainly appreciate all the hours that it has taken to get this program to the great standard that it is now. I can also appreciate the hours that are currently being spent on making any changes to the program as each change not only is written into the program, but must be tested and then tested again to be sure there are no (or very few) bugs before it is sent on to those of us who use it.

I really must applaud Bruce and all his people for the fantastic job they do with RootsMagic, between support, testing, and retesting as well as all his work in just creating the program.

JMO

I applaud Bruce as well and I would expect RM4 to be out before the summer, problem is the longer I wait the higher my expectations get for the improvements.

I don't think we are spoiled, RM is without doubt one of the best programs but there are still a number of areas that can be improved as seen from the wish list. In the software world while short comings exist users expect program development.

I have a few very good programs which are no longer developed or supported due to companies going out of business or being absorbed. I still use them but feel it's a sad loss.

Thankfully RM is not in that position and I would agree we are overdue an upgrade, even the wish list seems to have gone a little quiet of late (perhaps everyone is wished out!). Usually when that happens it is naturally time to take the next step in program evolution and it would seem that time is very close.

Genealogy can be both challenging and time consuming so the more a program helps me through intuitive add ons, global utilities and true WYSIWYG functionality the less time I need to spend at the computer. Every minute I spend messing with formats to suits reports etc and jumping back and forth to reports is time I could be out finding some real new information. A program which works with me and saves me time is my best friend and what I call a good program.

Give me the following and I will never wish again (well maybe)

A new live to-do list screen available just by clicking a tab with different sort options and reminders.
Storable find and sort criteria for reports to save time inputting criteria over and over.
True full "as it will appear" preview of data including add on notes for narritive reports.
More sorting and find options in Explorer.
A utility to list and manage unlinked and missing media files.
Ability to double click and edit an item directly from a any Report View.
A list screen in tabular form with user defined fields available by clicking a tab from the main screen.
Utilities, utilities and all the other stuff I have forgot at present.

Christmas will come early.

John James

#12 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

So, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of a program written in Unicode versus C++?

#13 Drake

Drake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(deckie49 @ Mar 20 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post

So, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of a program written in Unicode versus C++?

I was wondering the same thing. And surely he is not going to change the underlying langage for version 4?

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(Drake @ Apr 1 2007, 08:20 AM) View Post

I was wondering the same thing. And surely he is not going to change the underlying langage for version 4?

Unicode is not a programming language upon which programs are built. It is a character set enhancement providing more universal support for other language alphabets and graphics used to represent the written/spoken word. This would apply to all types of programs and the growing needs on the web (internet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Betty Jo Blunk

Betty Jo Blunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

rolleyes.gif Although I would LOVE to see version 4 I think it should wait until it is compatible with Vista, as I have a new laptop, which says that when the Vista update is available I will get it free. We shall see, I have heard that story before. My computer magazines have horror stories from people who cannot get their FAVORITE programs to work in it although they should. Since Microsoft is going to drop support for XP sooner than they usually do, I really want something that will work when I have to go to Vista (grumbling all the way). Is there a Mac version of RootsMagic, I have thought seriously about switching, but don't because of all the programs that I have that do not work with Macs. Jo Blunk

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

RootsMagic already works completely well under Vista and the likelihood would be that any new version would... also ! YAY biggrin.gif

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#17 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Another month gone........V4 had better be good...............

#18 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

My opinion?

The only times you need a new version is when the present version is not doing what you need, and I don't mean that it isn't doing the laundry or mowing the lawn, or when you have too much money in your pocket.

Some of wishes have been incorpoated into the free patches. There have been a few specifics on this wish list that may be incorporated in a new version. Some wishes are too far out to be included.

I imagine that Bruce is trying to figure out what kind of improvements that he can add to justify all of us old folks spending the twenty dollars for an upgrade. cool.gif

Alfred

#19 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 6 2007, 09:37 PM) View Post

My opinion?

The only times you need a new version is when the present version is not doing what you need, and I don't mean that it isn't doing the laundry or mowing the lawn, or when you have too much money in your pocket........

There are various requested improvements that have been repeatedly on this list for the past 2 years and I personally can afford $20, so does that mean I can have a new version?

I hope the answer is yes.

Rootsmagic News has just popped in but not with the news I was waiting for.

SNZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Root

#20 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 6 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post

My opinion?

The only times you need a new version is when the present version is not doing what you need, and I don't mean that it isn't doing the laundry or mowing the lawn, or when you have too much money in your pocket.
Some of wishes have been incorpoated into the free patches. There have been a few specifics on this wish list that may be incorporated in a new version. Some wishes are too far out to be included.

I imagine that Bruce is trying to figure out what kind of improvements that he can add to justify all of us old folks spending the twenty dollars for an upgrade. cool.gif

NEED shouldn't play a part in the determination of a new version. If that were the overriding criteria, none of us would be using computers at all, because we don't NEED computers for genealogy. There are many, many features that RootsMagic doesn't currently have that it could ... starting with the dozens of wishlist items that have been repeated over the years, some of them carrying over from FO. Any SINGLE ONE of those major wishes might be worth the upgrade price.

To imply that RootsMagic is "OK" as-is presents a near-sighted, short-term outlook for its financial future and potential loss of name recognition as one of the better genealogy software programs. Continuing to evolve and introduce new features and functions is called staying ahead of the competition and acknowledging the wants of your customer base. Heard of anyone selling wringer washing machines lately? Phonograph records? 8-track tape players? The list goes on and on. If RM doesn't present a new and substantially improved version soon, somebody else will come along with a better mousetrap - guaranteed ... and that is not my opinion!