• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 raylong

raylong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

I would like to see a new list added to the database for Occupation. I must have typed in Agricultural Labourer over 100,000 times

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(raylong @ Dec 24 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post

I would like to see a new list added to the database for Occupation. I must have typed in Agricultural Labourer over 100,000 times

I'm not sure just what your wish is. Are you wanting a report of the entries into the Occupation fact or any other fact?

For a report for the Occupation fact, you can go to Reports>Lists>Fact List and choose Occupation from the drop down menu.

Make your other selections, and create the report.

Or you can also get to the Fact List report screen by going to List> Fact type list and highlight Occupation and click on Print

You can find further help on making this report under Fact List in the Help file.

Laura

#3 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 24 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

I'm not sure just what your wish is. Are you wanting a report of the entries into the Occupation fact or any other fact?

I think raylong is wanting a way to avoid re-typing the same occupation over and over again, so selecting from a list seems like a much better idea.

In the absence of this, one possibility might be a keystroke macro program, which allows you to program particular keys (say CTRL-F5 or ALT-F12, etc.) to perform simple functions like filling in pre-defined text. That would be useful here if you only had a few occupations that you wanted to program, or if you were doing predominantly one small group of occupations at a time. It wouldn't be much help if you needed to be able to auto-enter any one of 50 different occupations at any time.

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(landbrake @ Dec 24 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

I think raylong is wanting a way to avoid re-typing the same occupation over and over again, so selecting from a list seems like a much better idea.

In the absence of this, one possibility might be a keystroke macro program, which allows you to program particular keys (say CTRL-F5 or ALT-F12, etc.) to perform simple functions like filling in pre-defined text. That would be useful here if you only had a few occupations that you wanted to program, or if you were doing predominantly one small group of occupations at a time. It wouldn't be much help if you needed to be able to auto-enter any one of 50 different occupations at any time.

Actually, macro/keystroke recording programs can be useful even in "bulk". Many of those types of programs allow the user to assign a textual "hotkey" combination, rather than being limited to unwieldy, hard-to-remember ALT/CTRL/SHIFT combinations.

An example, using the initial request in this thread, would be to set up a macro to play out "Agricultural Labourer" when the user typed the hotkey combination of "oagrlab" (Occupation: Agricultural Labourer) .... a combination of letters that would almost assuredly never be used in "real life". Or the hotkey could be "RMAL" (RootsMagic - Agricultural Labourer). It would only activate when the user wanted to type "Agricultural Labourer" in the Occupation field. The macro could even contain other keystrokes to work in the Edit Fact screen after typing "Agricultural Labourer" - tab down to the OK key and press ALT-O to automatically exit that screen, for example. Thousands of these macros could be set up, providing the user established a naming system for the hotkeys that would be easily remembered.

While there are many programs available, the one I like best is ShortKeys - http://www.shortkeys.com/

It hides the macro languaging from the user, allowing macro recording to be done just as though you were typing normally. Of course, these macros work elsewhere besides RootsMagic - for example, I regularly use macros to sign my emails with variations of my name & contact information. On the other hand, some of these programs allow the user to specify that the macro will run while *only* in a specific program, like RootsMagic. That can lessen or negate the program of your hotkey meaning one thing in one program and something different in another. The uses are limitless.

#5 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Dec 24 2006, 10:48 PM) View Post

Actually, macro/keystroke recording programs can be useful even in "bulk". Many of those types of programs allow the user to assign a textual "hotkey" combination, rather than being limited to unwieldy, hard-to-remember ALT/CTRL/SHIFT combinations.

Thanks for that clarification... obviously I've never used one of these programs, so I'm impressed that they are smarter than what I had guessed! I was going by what I've had to do in the past in programs like "Word" to set up keystroke macros, although even there I think you can do something similar to what you've described by using "auto-correct" to change one text string to another. I've just never actually felt the need to try it myself...

Best regards,

#6 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:11 AM

Seems to me that typing Agricultural Labourer 100,000 times calls for a "use defined fact" to be used by this particular user and not everyone. The fact could be Agricultural Labourer and then the place and date fields could be used to further identify it. Just my quick thoughts.
JIM.B.NH

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

You ~could~ just type in Agricultural Labourer one time, copy it to the clipboard one time, and then paste it (as many times as you need to) into every individual with that occupation fact.
<CTRL-A> selects the entire occupation string that you type(d) into the field block
<CTRL-C> copies it to the clipboard
<CTRL-V> pastes it into the occupation fact

That's...
Type one time
Copy one time
Paste many times

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Dec 25 2006, 08:15 PM) View Post

You ~could~ just type in Agricultural Labourer one time, copy it to the clipboard one time, and then paste it (as many times as you need to) into every individual with that occupation fact.
<CTRL-A> selects the entire occupation string that you type(d) into the field block
<CTRL-C> copies it to the clipboard
<CTRL-V> pastes it into the occupation fact

That's...
Type one time
Copy one time
Paste many times

The one disadvantage to this is that what you have on the clipboard is erased when you close the program so everytime you start your data entry, you need to add that occupation to the clipboard, and do NOT copy anything else to the clipboard after you have done the occupation, otherwise you will erase it.
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Candy @ Dec 25 2006, 09:32 PM) View Post

The one disadvantage to this is that what you have on the clipboard is erased when you close the program so everytime you start your data entry, you need to add that occupation to the clipboard, and do NOT copy anything else to the clipboard after you have done the occupation, otherwise you will erase it.

The problem with the "wished for" method is that you have to somehow support the never-ending -or- openly-flexible means to keep adding occupations
(I hope there's a checkbox for "retortman" because that's what my GGrandpa was). blink.gif

Thinks of how many names for Agricultural Laborer there can be! biggrin.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Dec 25 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

The problem with the "wished for" method is that you have to somehow support the never-ending -or- openly-flexible means to keep adding occupations
(I hope there's a checkbox for "retortman" because that's what my GGrandpa was). blink.gif

Thinks of how many names for Agricultural Laborer there can be! biggrin.gif

RootsMagic could simply offer Auto Completion in every form field ... just like the Place field works now in any add/edit fact window. Most browsers offer some type of Auto Completion - address bar, forms, passwords, etc. - and the overhead is minimal.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:13 PM

What if the description box had auto-fill?

With auto-fill, you wouldn't have to select from a list or use a macro program. smile.gif

Laura

-------

Ludlow Bay posted while I was thinking what to type. biggrin.gif

#12 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 25 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

What if the description box had auto-fill?

With auto-fill, you wouldn't have to select from a list or use a macro program. smile.gif

Yes, I think auto-fill would be the easiest and cleanest way for RM to do this (and some fields, such as place names, already work this way), but then we're back to the original request for an occupation list... since RM has to know what values to auto-fill when you start typing.

Since RM already does this elsewhere, it doesn't seem to me that this would be particularly difficult to implement....?

#13 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(landbrake @ Dec 25 2006, 09:48 PM) View Post

but then we're back to the original request for an occupation list... since RM has to know what values to auto-fill when you start typing.

The list is "created" the first time something is entered into an auto-fill box. If you're in an the Occupation Edit Fact window and you type "Agricultural Labourer" in the description box, bingo! you've got the start of your list.

#14 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

Try doing a fact list report on Occupations in a text file.

Open that text file in a spreadsheet and sort on column "C".

Then you can eliminate duplicates with a formula in column E, starting with the second row, something like "=If(C2=C1,,C2)"

That should pretty well give you a list of unique occupations, copy them to a text file and keep them on hand for data entry.

_(That is, for now, since there isn't a built in list of occupations.) --
Alfred

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:25 AM

I see a big problem with having a list just for the Occupation fact. I would also want a list for each fact wtih a description including any user defined fact I may create.

So, since we are wishing, why not have a Description List that works just like the Place List with Edit, Delete, Print and Merge.

The description on the Edit Fact screen would be auto-fill and there would be a button on the Edit Fact screen to open the Description List as the Place List does.

A report would give a choice of whether to print all facts with descriptions or one fact. It could also give the choice to include everyone in the database or select people to include.

The report would give you the name, record number, date, place, and description entry.

Well, if I'm going to wish, it may as well be a big wish. biggrin.gif

Laura

#16 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:48 AM

Have any of you ever heard of a program called "Sticky Note"? It's a yellow sticky note program that stays on TOP of anything you have open at the time and you can copy to or from it. Almost like notepad but stays on top. You can save the note or delete it. It is very useful when copying something from the internet as it does not copy links, boxes, etc., only text. Anyway, I use it extensively and keep things on these "saved" notes that I know I will reuse.
JIM.B.NH

#17 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Laura @ Dec 26 2006, 02:25 AM) View Post

I see a big problem with having a list just for the Occupation fact. I would also want a list for each fact wtih a description including any user defined fact I may create.

So, since we are wishing, why not have a Description List that works just like the Place List with Edit, Delete, Print and Merge.

<snip>

Laura

I don't see any major reason why this couldn't be done... most of it is already in place in RM (although I obviously don't know the internals of how it's doing its "magic"). The database already holds all these values for every descriptive field; all it should need would be the same internal structure used for the place name list to be added to most (or all) other descriptive fields. Probably not a trivial job, but since it would be copying existing stuff from place name fields to other fields I can't imagine that it would be an impossible undertaking, either.

Given my perspective "from the outside looking in" this appears to me like a pretty large enhancement for what I would guess to be comparatively little cost. Just a thought....

As to Jim's suggestion about "Sticky Note"... I've heard of it but never tried it. Sounds like a product worth checking out further, since I'm always wanting to do stuff like that for many other environments besides RM... thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can find it.

Best regards,

#18 Ted Bremer

Ted Bremer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:40 AM

I've been using FREE clipboard program for YEARS. Called Yankee Clipper Plus. Saves ALL keystrokes, and more, til you decide which and how many to delete. Only time it doesn't save them is when you have a power failure.

Even saves them to files, if you have other requirements. Would be DEAD without if.

Happy Hunting,
Ted

http://levasseur.net/content/YCP.html

#19 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(landbrake @ Dec 26 2006, 10:13 AM) View Post

As to Jim's suggestion about "Sticky Note"... I've heard of it but never tried it. Sounds like a product worth checking out further, since I'm always wanting to do stuff like that for many other environments besides RM... thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can find it.

Best regards,

The program file is less than 300K and I would be happy to email it to you.
Jim N1nh@beltronics.net
JIM.B.NH

#20 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(raylong @ Dec 24 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post

I think Auto Complete is what we should hope for rather than a list which could never please everyone, although I would want some way of editting the auto complete list to keep it in good shape.

The fact description field is slightly different to normal dbase fields like that used for the place list as it is a memo/notes type field, not indexed and therefore not easily sorted etc., so this applies to any fact with the description field enabled.

What RM could easily do is to present an edittable list something like :-

Ref No - fact name - sentence prefix - description - place

giving you something like :-

3456 - occupation - was employed as a - farmer - in New Jersey

This could be selectable for any of the facts with a description field and using copy and paste spelling, capitalisation and non gramatical errors could easily be corrected keeping the database in good shape.

I know this is easy for RM to incorporate as I do it off line at present and I'm no genius....

It goes without saying that powerful editting capabilities like this have to go out with a strong note of "Are you sure you know what you are doing?" so perhaps an administrator level within RM that could be enabled and password protected would be the way to protect data from novice PC users and an open door to providing a lot more utilities to those who need them.