• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ludie

Ludie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

[size=7] Is there a method to create a new Source Type that is not found on the current list?

#2 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

List >source list > New

or did I misunderstand the question??
JIM.B.NH

#3 Ludie

Ludie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Nov 27 2006, 07:52 AM) View Post

List >source list > New

or did I misunderstand the question??

Sort of. Under Source Wizard is a list of "types" for each Source. Ex. Books, Will, SS record, Land Record, etc. I have sources that don't fall into the listed catergories. So I was asking if there was a way to add to that list of "types". Ludie

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

You can adapt many of the wizard sources for other things.

click on the top one, then work your way down until you see one that asks for some of the things your source would need, then fill in as many of them as you want.

In my opinion, the wizard asks for too many things, quite a few of them should be placed in the citation details instead of the source, anyway.

-----
And, you can kwork free-hand and not use the wizard at all.
Alfred

#5 Ludie

Ludie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Nov 29 2006, 03:54 PM) View Post

You can adapt many of the wizard sources for other things.

click on the top one, then work your way down until you see one that asks for some of the things your source would need, then fill in as many of them as you want.

In my opinion, the wizard asks for too many things, quite a few of them should be placed in the citation details instead of the source, anyway.

-----
And, you can kwork free-hand and not use the wizard at all.

Thanks Alfred. I tried some variations tonight with the sources and agree the Source Wizard ask too many questions. Also noticed when I changed the title to a simple source name like Census and then put everything else in details I ended up with multiple Census in the list - which is more confusing than listing them specifically. Guess I'll just have to keep working with it to figure out what is best for me. Thank you.
Ludie

#6 fizzbomb

fizzbomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Ludie @ Nov 29 2006, 10:40 PM) View Post

Thanks Alfred. I tried some variations tonight with the sources and agree the Source Wizard ask too many questions. Also noticed when I changed the title to a simple source name like Census and then put everything else in details I ended up with multiple Census in the list - which is more confusing than listing them specifically. Guess I'll just have to keep working with it to figure out what is best for me. Thank you.
Ludie

Ludie,

I use many "generic sources" such as Census (by year, such as 1870 Census, 1880 Census, etc.), Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, then record individual information in the "citation details". For example:
Name: Birth Certificate
Citation detail under "Page": Kansas Delayed Certificate of Birth #61-01436
Name: Death Certificate
Citation detail under "Page": Kansas Death Certificate #92-001253
Both of the above citations also contain a scan of the actual certificate. If a scan was not attached, I would transcribe the information from the certificate into the Citation detail "Text" section.

Name: 1920 Census (www.ancestry.com)
Citation detail under "Page": Martin, Kiowa, KS; ED #110, SD #7, Page 150, Sheet 7B, Lines 70-71, Dwelling 130, Family 134; viewed 15 April 2003
Again the enumeration data could be entered in the "Text" section and/or a scan attached.

Jackie

#7 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

You don't have to use any of the "supplied" types. wink.gif
Just enter what you want to to say directly into the 3 boxes in the lower part of the New Source dialog box.

Canyon Wolf

#8 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

Sorry if I missed the point of the question. I "free hand" my sources so I seldom, if ever, use the wizard. So, I could not relate to what you were seeing. Just use your organizational skills and develop your own strategy for organizing sources.
JIM.B.NH

#9 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

I'm wrestling with this topic right now, myself. I disagree that the Wizard asks too many questions. It is following the correct rules for citations as laid out in Evidence! The beauty of the wizard is that it remembers all these rules for you.

To adapt what is there now, each time I want to create a new source, I have to haul out my copy of Evidence! and read it over to find the correct form and style. Most annoying.

So, is there a way we can create wizards for ourselves, following all the correct rules of sourcing and citation? I was most dismayed to find that there were no wizards for the most basic of things such as parish registers, bishop's transcripts, and a number of other basic things. I'm going to put this on the wish list.
Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#10 NoŽl Sant

NoŽl Sant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Canuk @ Jan 20 2007, 11:31 PM) View Post

I'm wrestling with this topic right now, myself. I disagree that the Wizard asks too many questions. It is following the correct rules for citations as laid out in Evidence! The beauty of the wizard is that it remembers all these rules for you.

To adapt what is there now, each time I want to create a new source, I have to haul out my copy of Evidence! and read it over to find the correct form and style. Most annoying.

So, is there a way we can create wizards for ourselves, following all the correct rules of sourcing and citation? I was most dismayed to find that there were no wizards for the most basic of things such as parish registers, bishop's transcripts, and a number of other basic things. I'm going to put this on the wish list.

What is "Evidence!", please?

Regards,
Noel

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

It is the short title of a book by Elizabeth Shown Mills.

The full title is:
Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

It seems to be the last word in genealogy sourcing.

Almost any good text book on writing will help with sourcing, although not quite as well directed toward genealogy as Evidence is
Alfred