• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 genieron

genieron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Im am migrating from FTM, can anyone provide me a means of importing and creating source info from on- line data bases such as Rootsweb, Ancestry, etc. into my new RM database. It appears that RM has much more power once I get it imported. Have thought of proceeding with FTM then importing that DB in RM. I hope there is a better way. thx

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Are you asking how to import the data?
Or, how to enter the source telling where the data came from?
Alfred

#3 genieron

genieron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 31 2006, 12:29 PM) View Post

Are you asking how to import the data?
Or, how to enter the source telling where the data came from?

Thx, I may have figured it out. It seems I must look for databases from on-line, which I can download as a GEDCOM then import it, Right? I have created, ( by mistake) two master databases which have differing sources. I was trying to match/merge to create a new Master with all sources properly associated to data. I seem to be digging the hole deeper. Any suggestions? (NOTE the 'genie..." part of my nickname does not stand for "genius". Another way to put it.. The sources each exist on the two files. I am trying to get all on the preferred master file. thx

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

When you download a GEDCOM file from something like Ancestry, Family Search or something, when you then import it to RootsMagic, you are asked if you want to add a source to all people or all facts, choose your preference. and give it a distinctive name. You cannot enter everything you would like there, but you can later go to the Source list and edit the source to say just what you want it to say.
You may then want to go to each individual citing that source and enter a bit of citation detail.

I think it is best to import each new GEDCOM file to a new, empty database, clean it up, fix the place names and dates before importing, maybe dragging and dropping into your main database where you may have some merging to do.

(Note: I don't put much stock in names -- my middle initial is D. Does anyone remember Dennis DimWit? biggrin.gif )
Alfred

#5 genieron

genieron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Nov 3 2006, 12:00 AM) View Post

When you download a GEDCOM file from something like Ancestry, Family Search or something, when you then import it to RootsMagic, you are asked if you want to add a source to all people or all facts, choose your preference. ang give it a distinctive name. You cannot enter everything you would like there, but you can later fo to the Source list and deit the source to say just what you want it to say.
You may then want to go to each individual citing that source and enter a bit of citation detail.

I think it is best to import each new GEDCOM file to a new, empty database, clean it up, fix the place names and dates before importing, maybe dragging and dropping into your main database where you may have some merging to do.

(Note: I don't put much stock in names -- my middle initial is D. Does anyone remember Dennis DimWit? biggrin.gif )

MANY THANKS for your timely responce. That tip helps me from digging the hole deeper.